Author Topic: Public transport should be free  (Read 6447 times)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Public transport should be free
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 06:05:13 pm »
By public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use I take it you mean systems such as subways and light rail.

If people are going to use it I'm willing to pitch in even when it is not going to help me.  If that system is not going to get use, it is a waste and no I don't want to pay.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:10:57 pm by m52nickerson »
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
By public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use I take it you mean systems such as subways and light rail.
In Fred's phrase "do you actually want to continue to pay for the public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use?", the term "at point of use" modifies "pay", not "public transport infrastructure that exists". In other words, it should be interpreted as equivalent to "Do you want to continue to pay at point of use for the public infrastructure that already exists?"

Which is to say "public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use", however you choose to interpret that, is not a thing anyone is talking about.
Σא

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 08:06:36 pm »
In Fred's phrase "do you actually want to continue to pay for the public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use?", the term "at point of use" modifies "pay", not "public transport infrastructure that exists". In other words, it should be interpreted as equivalent to "Do you want to continue to pay at point of use for the public infrastructure that already exists?"

Which is to say "public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use", however you choose to interpret that, is not a thing anyone is talking about.

If that is the case it would all depend on how many people use it and if it was to be free how it is going to be paid for.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »
Red herrings aside, do you actually want to continue to pay for the public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use? The question is about you, and it is about what you want. Do not answer with any estimation of whether it is possible, that's beside the point. What I want to know is whether you want it or whether you, personally m52nickerson, do not. That's it.

It doesn't matter what m52 wants. As he pointed out, Americans as a whole do not want mass transit. Even where mass transit is available, people continue to drive because they want to.

The DC area has a huge traffic problem. DC also has a pretty good mass transit system, especially in cities/counties close to the District, and within the District itself. Yet people still drive into and out of the city every day for work. In many cases, it isn't because they cannot use the mass transit system - between the subway and buses, a lot of the city is accessible with only a few blocks walking (especially during rush hour). It is because people want to drive.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:13 pm »
Fred, the whole message everyone is trying to send is this: You can offer the service, but you can't make people take it. Politicians have to worry about being re-elected.With the economy as it is, they don't want to be pointed at and accused of creating Christmas Tree bills with services a lot of people don't use.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:05 am »

If that is the case it would all depend on how many people use it and if it was to be free how it is going to be paid for.

Why is that?

Presume 1) the number using it now and 2)  income taxes. Yay or nay?

Red herrings aside, do you actually want to continue to pay for the public transport infrastructure that exists at point of use? The question is about you, and it is about what you want. Do not answer with any estimation of whether it is possible, that's beside the point. What I want to know is whether you want it or whether you, personally m52nickerson, do not. That's it.

It doesn't matter what m52 wants.

It certainly does. M52 is one of those 'Americans' who allegedly 'doesn't want public transport'. Well maybe. But I'd like to know why. And the answer cannot be 'because everyone else doesn't'. That's fallacious, a fallacy he always falls into.

Fred, the whole message everyone is trying to send is this: You can offer the service, but you can't make people take it. Politicians have to worry about being re-elected.With the economy as it is, they don't want to be pointed at and accused of creating Christmas Tree bills with services a lot of people don't use.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, this will raise neither taxes* nor the deficit, unless you want it to (or useage increases, which would make it stimulatory).

* So long as you include fares as taxes, which they are.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 07:17:36 am »
It certainly does. M52 is one of those 'Americans' who allegedly 'doesn't want public transport'. Well maybe. But I'd like to know why. And the answer cannot be 'because everyone else doesn't'. That's fallacious, a fallacy he always falls into.

Where has he stated that HE doesn't want public transport?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:02 am »

My mistake, he hasn't said anything about the actual issue at all.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:06 am »

My mistake, he hasn't said anything about the actual issue at all.

...Uh, yeah he has.  Plenty more than you have, in fact.  I just haven't seen where he's stated that he himself does or doesn't want public transport.

Just because he hasn't said what he personally wants doesn't mean his points don't address the issue.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet