Author Topic: SCOTUS Strikes Down Part of Voting Rights Act of 1965  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
SCOTUS Strikes Down Part of Voting Rights Act of 1965
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
Most of the law is still intact.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a key part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 — the map that determines which states must get federal permission before they change their voting laws.

The Voting Rights Act requires nine states with a history of discrimination at the polls, mostly in the South, to get approval from the Justice Department or a special panel of judges before they change their voting laws. The rule also applies to 12 cities and 57 counties elsewhere.

Apparently, Congress can draw a new map if they wish can actually agree on one.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/25/19132385-supreme-court-strikes-down-part-of-voting-rights-act?lite

I would categorize my reaction to this as more seriously annoyed than outraged.  I can understand the argument that it is unfair to subject certain places to a higher degree of scrutiny than others (though those places certainly did earn that scrutiny), as well as the argument that the map, which was drawn over half a century ago, could be outdated.

That being said, I think that Arizona proves without a doubt that the states do still need federal oversight to prevent them from limiting the suffrage of minorities.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: SCOTUS Strikes Down Part of Voting Rights Act of 1965
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:15 am »
Good luck with getting congress to work together to make a new map, it's not going to happen anytime soon. As I've said before a simple fix is for it cover everywhere, not just selected places.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »
so long black voters
Sigh you know congress won't draw up a map I'm sure the Texas bloc would love to hurt their own chances

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:00 pm »
I would think that this threatens Hispanic voters even more than Black voters now.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
I saw this on the front page of Yahoo.

All I can think of is... this is a terrible idea.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:04:45 pm »
THUS June 25 2013 Democracy died fuck it now I really am gonna go to Canada

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:07:59 pm »
I'd offer you my couch but my dad just sent it to the dump because it took up too much room, so I'll have to offer you the recliner instead.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:11:04 pm »
Soooo... does this means that we'll probably have a Republican-only "dictatorship?"
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »
Yeah, this isn't going to end well...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:22:28 pm »
They should just make that law apply to the entire country, instead of certain states.  That would keep any asshole republican from sneaking laws in an otherwise open-minded state/
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »
Of course they would do that...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 04:37:38 pm »
They're really desparate. Is there anyway this can be stopped, vetoed, overturned, etc.? Surely we can so something about this? Anybody got any silver-linings?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 04:41:24 pm »
“Things have changed in the South,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in that decision. “Blatantly discriminatory evasions of federal decrees are rare.”

BECAUSE of the Voting Rights Act. Which you just gutted, Roberts. Yeah, yeehaw Texas, that was a quick draw right there on ID regs. And now we can also watch the instantaneous return of the gerrymander district in 3.....2.....1.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »
They're really desparate. Is there anyway this can be stopped, vetoed, overturned, etc.? Surely we can so something about this? Anybody got any silver-linings?

Not every cloud has a silver lining.