Author Topic: FBI screw up big, MegaUpload trial may never happen  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Re: FBI screw up big, MegaUpload trial may never happen
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 03:08:17 am »
My Civil Procedure books are packed so I can't look it up, but it sticks in my head that there is a way to serve an international agency if they have "significant ties" to the US. In other words, all the FBI has to do is SERVE the corporation in question and the issue goes away.

Well there are always the "minimum contacts" and "purposeful availment" tests.  The fact remains, as Sylvana points out, that large companies can always lean on the U.S. federal government to get what they want, who will in turn pressure foreign governments to to their bidding...which is a pretty good description of the Megaupload case thus far.  Kim Dotcom had a few things to say about this.

I'm not going to defend Kim Dotcom's actions, as the man is unquestionably a crook.  But two wrongs don't make a right.  The fact that Big Media (and Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Finance, etc.) can so easily manipulate our government with money and threats is a serious problem.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil