Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 858336 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #3900 on: February 07, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »
I discovered my bodyfat percentage was down to 10.6. I am in the athletic range now.

Really liked working with my personal trainer.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3901 on: February 09, 2016, 07:44:55 pm »
I've learned how to read, write, and speak all Hiragana characters. On to Katakana!
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3902 on: February 09, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »
Oh good.  Now I can show you my sentai stuff and you can translate the signs the subbers don't.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3903 on: February 10, 2016, 10:07:13 pm »
Got my Big Thing for this semester (I usually get one with part of my financial aid refund) all ordered: a proper, battle ready Italian longsword.  According to Amazon, it weighs all of about 2 kilos, and has a business end consisting of just half an inch shy of 3 feet of cold, 1055 carbon steel.  I am practically hard with anticipation.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3904 on: February 11, 2016, 08:38:39 pm »
Today, I went to court to represent my very first client. He was toddler suffering from a number of illnesses that should have made him eligible for social security, but the agency rejected him. As such, I had to represent him at the level just before it went to the federal district court.

Truth be told, the case was less than ideal. While I know the family, and I know they deserve SSI, I felt it would be a 35/65 case in terms of proving it to the agency (35% likely to win). Nevertheless, I went in, argued my case, and won. This low income family with a disabled child earn social security income for the next year or two (as well as back-pay for the last two years).

It is so weird to realize that my education actually helped people in need--the very reason that I decided to attend law school. The family was so happy, that they were crying, they hugged me, and they wanted pictures with me.

As of today, I am officially 1-0 in court. It is a great feeling; more so because I put a lot of temporal and emotional investment in this family, and the system worked for them.

I do not know what else to say, but that this makes me very happy :)
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3905 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:17 pm »
Congratulations. Always good to start with a win and particularly for a worthy client. You must be feeling elated and relieved at the same time. While it's great to win for people who need it, it can be terribly stressful as there is a much greater emotional investment.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3906 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:37 pm »
Congratulations. Always good to start with a win and particularly for a worthy client. You must be feeling elated and relieved at the same time. While it's great to win for people who need it, it can be terribly stressful as there is a much greater emotional investment.

Thanks. I won't say much else due to confidentiality, but it means a lot.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3907 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:05 pm »

It's also a great vindication having sat through law school that those years weren't wasted and you've found something that you actually want to do. Much better than the crushing realisation that all those years of study and stress have put you in line for a job that you'd rather not do.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3908 on: February 11, 2016, 09:05:34 pm »

It's also a great vindication having sat through law school that those years weren't wasted and you've found something that you actually want to do. Much better than the crushing realisation that all those years of study and stress have put you in line for a job that you'd rather not do.

I'm not going to lie, I'm drinking to celebrate, but yes, that is very much true. My thought process was that after 2 years of hell and finals and cutthroat competition amongst my peers, I finally found a rewarding experience that I would have no problem doing for the rest of my life.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3909 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »
drinking tends to go hand and glove with the profession. For celebrations, commiserations and dealing with stress

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3910 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
drinking tends to go hand and glove with the profession. For celebrations, commiserations and dealing with stress

Well, for what little it is worth, I have had my experiences with alcohol and drug dependency. I do not mention this often, but I've been to rehab, before coming out. I know when drinking becomes dangerous to my health and well being. I never drink out of commiseration. Though, I do not let social norms dictate my drinking when it comes to celebrations. Especially tonight, as it is my first win in a real court. It means a lot to me.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3911 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:27 pm »
Well, it's not nearly as good a thing to happen as Queen's, but I did beat a frustrating event map in a game I'm playing. And I'm making good time on the next one too.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3912 on: February 11, 2016, 09:24:34 pm »
US societal norms with drinking are weird. Most of the people I know would be considered alcoholics by Americans. I tend to take an Omar Khayyam approach to drinking. Enjoy yourself - pop some champagne corks.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3913 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »
US societal norms with drinking are weird. Most of the people I know would be considered alcoholics by Americans. I tend to take an Omar Khayyam approach to drinking. Enjoy yourself - pop some champagne corks.

I've always found it a bit nuts that people would claim I have a problem for wanting to kick back with some cold ones to either celebrate something awesome, or to take the edge off a particularly...vexing week.  Like this week.  I have a 6-pack of Redd's Apple Ale waiting for end-of-work on Friday.  I don't drink heavily, and to this day, I've never gotten drunk.  Hell, I've never gotten more than moderately buzzed.  Liquor is just how adults kick back.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #3914 on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:51 pm »
Nothing as cool as that, but I just stomped the shot out of some dudes in pokemon.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".