Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1648059 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3975 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:06 pm »

Regulations might hamper the non-renewable toxic substance that will most likely run out very soon and which our entire economy is based upon!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3976 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »

Regulations might hamper the non-renewable toxic substance that will most likely run out very soon and which our entire economy is based upon!

Also, I think that massive tropical storms would have a greater detrimental impact on the economy than CO2 regulations.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3977 on: June 09, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »

1) Known design flaw originally determined to be an acceptable risk since bean counters decided it was cheaper to pay for the lawsuits.

2) A design flaw that seriously eroded customer confidence and prompted an immediate recall and redesign to regain that confidence despite being a localized problem.

3) Operating as intended and with a very good safety record; of the millions of rounds discharged annually, a vanishingly small amount of accidents can be directly attributed to a defective firearm.

But the whole point is that they're being used correctly! That's what everyone is afraid of!

Also, I think that massive tropical storms would have a greater detrimental impact on the economy than CO2 regulations.

Often positive, actually. Think of all the profits and jobs from repairing all those houses.

Famously, the Exxon-Valdez spill was a big win for the local economy.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3978 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3979 on: June 09, 2014, 08:47:29 pm »

1) Known design flaw originally determined to be an acceptable risk since bean counters decided it was cheaper to pay for the lawsuits.

2) A design flaw that seriously eroded customer confidence and prompted an immediate recall and redesign to regain that confidence despite being a localized problem.

3) Operating as intended and with a very good safety record; of the millions of rounds discharged annually, a vanishingly small amount of accidents can be directly attributed to a defective firearm.

But the whole point is that they're being used correctly! That's what everyone is afraid of!

Recalls are for defective products. Regulations are to ensure that products are used in a safe manner.
Tort law and improvements in NTSB safety regulations prevent another Pinto. Changes to FDA packaging regulations prevent a Tylenol repeat.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3980 on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:23 pm »

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #3981 on: June 10, 2014, 02:10:56 am »

Recalls are for defective products. Regulations are to ensure that products are used in a safe manner.
Tort law and improvements in NTSB safety regulations prevent another Pinto. Changes to FDA packaging regulations prevent a Tylenol repeat.

Remember when you say "vanishingly small amount of accidents" that's hundreds every year.  Actually thousands if some studies are accurate.  So what constitutes "vanishingly small " might be up for debate.  Certainly accidental gun deaths are more then 27 or 7

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/accidental-shooting/
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/terrible-tally-500-children-dead-gunshots-every-year-7-500-f8C11469222

Ok but anyway lets go with that second statement you had about regulations.   I would point out that we do already  regulate products when shown they are dangerous, even if that when that danger is in with in it's"proper use to limit their use and even availability.

Cigarettes.  When properly used they lead to chronic ill health and eventual death for thousands.

We still regulated them.  Same with other drugs.  And pollution.

I mean we can't' say that gun violence doesn't  have this social cost.  Which I think is the point of the cartoon.  We have responded to things that cause far less damage. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:17:15 am by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3982 on: June 10, 2014, 02:17:55 am »

Ok lets go with that second statement about regulations.

Remember when you say "vanishingly small amount of accidents" that's hundreds every year.  Actually thousands if some studies are accurate.  So what constitutes "vanishingly small " might be up for debate.  Certainly accidental gun deaths are more then 27 or 7

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/accidental-shooting/
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/terrible-tally-500-children-dead-gunshots-every-year-7-500-f8C11469222

any way I would point out that we do already  regulate products when shown they are dangerous, even if that when that danger is in with in it's"proper use"

Cigarettes.  When properly used they lead to chronic ill health and eventual death for thousands.

We still regulated them.
I think you didn't read the entire sentence. "a vanishingly small amount of accidents can be directly attributed to a defective firearm."

Majority of accidents with weapons are due to user error.

If the guns goes off when you look at it the wrong way, that is caused by a defective firearm, when it goes off because someone was playing with it and didn't check if it was loaded that is user error.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3983 on: June 10, 2014, 07:44:53 am »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3984 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:01 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3985 on: June 11, 2014, 01:13:56 pm »

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #3986 on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:53 pm »
….
I think you didn't read the entire sentence. "a vanishingly small amount of accidents can be directly attributed to a defective firearm."

If the guns goes off when you look at it the wrong way, that is caused by a defective firearm, when it goes off because someone was playing with it and didn't check if it was loaded that is user error.
[/quote]

Which actually isn't' that important if you think about it since even if we are talking about user error, that means guns are designed to make killing way too easy.

unintended consequence, inherent flaw or designers just didn't' give a fuck, the effect ends up the same.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3987 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:06 am »
….I think you didn't read the entire sentence. "a vanishingly small amount of accidents can be directly attributed to a defective firearm."

Which actually isn't' that important if you think about it since even if we are talking about user error, that means guns are designed to make killing way too easy.

unintended consequence, inherent flaw or designers just didn't' give a fuck, the effect ends up the same.

No, you missed the point. Canadian Mojo was pointing out that the other two examples in the comic were defective products, the deaths were caused by bad products. With guns the vast majority of deaths have been caused by the people using them (wether by accident or purpose.)

If there were thousands of deaths caused by people driving over others with their cars on purpose this would not still mean that the carmakers are evil or that "they didn't give a fuck." While on the other hand, when car company releases a dangerous car on purpose, knowing well that it WILL cause accidents that may be lethal, then the company is responsible. In this case for example the company knew how faulty their cars were but lied and tried to shift the blame. They even lied in a court case to save face and make it look like one of the victims of a crash had caused it on purpose: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/business/sending-alerts-gm-delayed-recall-of-cars.html

For the massive amount of gun related deaths, you could blame the crazy gun laws in USA, or to be more precise the lack of regulation on who can own a firearm in USA. 2nd amendment has caused a lot of death by making regulation nearly impossible. But the fact that guns are very numerous in USA or that many of them have ended up in wrong hands is not the fault of the designers, who are in fact very concerned about making safe guns and ensuring that no accidents happen due to their design. (It's not like they have much control over who gets the gun afterwards.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3988 on: June 13, 2014, 12:14:58 pm »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3989 on: June 13, 2014, 01:06:29 pm »