Author Topic: Police practices that spread HIV  (Read 3851 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Police practices that spread HIV
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »
http://www.hrw.org/node/108953

Police in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, and San Francisco are confiscating condoms from sex workers and transgender women, undermining health department campaigns to reduce HIV, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today.

The 112-page report, “Sex Workers at Risk: Condoms as Evidence of Prostitution in Four US Cities,” documented in each city how police and prosecutors use condoms to support prostitution charges. The practice makes sex workers and transgender women reluctant to carry condoms for fear of arrest, causes them to engage in sex without protection, and puts them at risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. The report was released prior to the 19th International AIDS Conference, in Washington, DC, starting on July 22, 2012. The US response to the epidemic will be in the spotlight before 20,000 delegates gathered from around the world. The four cities investigated are among the hardest-hit in the US, with over 200,000 people living with HIV among them.

That's some fucked up shit. Even worse, they're also targeting any transwomen even if she may not be involved in sex work.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Police practices that spread HIV
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
Isn't this akin to confiscating a car because it might be used to speed?

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:27:45 pm »
I heard about this on Tumblr. Apparently they're also confiscating them from women of color because they're more likely to be suspected of sex work. So, racism, cissexism, and sex-negative patriarchal bullshit. Wheeeeeeee.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:36:27 pm »
Next time I go up to DC, I am going wearing a sombrero decorated in condoms (like the teabaggers wear). Take that DC police.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »
Apparently it's pretty common for transwomen to be targeted as sex workers for merely walking down the street or being "caught" in a car with a man (as in, literally being in a car with a man, regardless of whether sex is involved).
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:42:38 am »
Isn't this akin to confiscating a car because it might be used to speed?

No it's like saying that if you are wearing a seat belt it will be used in court as a  proof that you were planning to speed, because why else would you wear a seat belt?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:16 am »
The obvious answer is to wear them all the time!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:58:21 am »
I heard about this on Tumblr. Apparently they're also confiscating them from women of color because they're more likely to be suspected of sex work. So, racism, cissexism, and sex-negative patriarchal bullshit. Wheeeeeeee.

It's more than mere profiling or anti-sex sentiment (which would be bad enough).  It's just as much the fault of the culture of law enforcement management (such as systems like CompStat, etc.).  Cops in many jurisdictions have quotas to make for everything from arrests, to traffic tickets, to even questioning people on the street.

Naturally, beat cops don't want to be accused of slacking off, and police chiefs and commissioners want to look good for both elected officials and the media.  So you end up with more police harassment and intimidation, even if it actually causes more problems than it solves, and then you have police chiefs telling people "look, it's working, crime is down", even if it is just a matter of changing the way incidents are recorded and reported.

The final result is A) more tension between police and the community, B) more tension between rank-and-file police officers (and the union reps who bargain for them) and management (i.e. chiefs/commissioners/elected officials), and C) whatever unintended consequences flow from A and B.

TL;DR--the fish stinks from the head, as my grandmother used to say.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:42 am »
How exactly do condoms support prostitution charges?
If they can claim that carrying condoms makes one a prostitute wouldn't they be able to arrest just about all 20 something overly hopeful males? After all, they are also carrying condoms.

In short just about everything about this story disgusts me.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:01 am »
Except if a man is carrying a condom, it's just to be prepared.  If a woman is carrying a condom, she's obviously a sex worker ::)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:36 pm »
This seems appropriate for this thread:

6 Popular Crime-Fighting Tactics That Don't Work

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »
So do the condom vending machines you find in the washrooms of bars mean that the cops can charge them with being brothels?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »
I think I should pin a condom (by the edge of the wrapper, of course) or three to my clothes when I'm in DC.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46:50 pm »
I'll use pigments to temporarily dye my skin brown, dress as a woman, and tape a fucking condom to my forehead whilst walking right in front of the capital building, twirling a cane and whistling Dixie.  See how those motherfuckers deal with that.

Refuge in audacity, bitches.  I know how the game's played.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:49 am »
I'll use pigments to temporarily dye my skin brown, dress as a woman, and tape a fucking condom to my forehead whilst walking right in front of the capital building, twirling a cane and whistling Dixie.  See how those motherfuckers deal with that.

Refuge in audacity, bitches.  I know how the game's played.

Make sure you get video, ‘cause I wanna see that. But be careful about how that video is obtained, because a lot of politicians and cops get unreasonably nervous around cameras outside of scheduled publicity moments.
-A Pen Name