Author Topic: Viewers Continue To Flee Fox News as Ratings Drop  (Read 2925 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Viewers Continue To Flee Fox News as Ratings Drop
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:49:57 am »
While CNN and MSNBC both saw their ratings grow in 2011, Fox News saw their ratings drop by 3% for the second straight year.

According to the Pew Research Center’s Project For Excellence in Journalism’s The State of the News Media 2012 report, viewership for all cable news was up 1% in daytime and 1% in primetime. CNN saw their ratings rise by 16%. Despite the loss of Keith Olbermann, MSNBC’s prime time audience grew by 3%. The network’s daytime audience was up 20%. The ratings surge at CNN was a temporary blip caused by the tsunami in Japan and the Arab Spring. Without breaking news, CNN sinks to third place.

Fox News continues to lose viewers, but remains highly profitable. How can a network lose viewers, but increase profits? The answer is that Fox News demands the highest licensing fee from carriers in all of cable news. All subscribers pay an additional seventy eight cents a month to have Fox News carried on their system. This was an 11% increase in 2011 and one of the main reasons why Fox News can lose viewers, but set a record for profits.

http://www.politicususa.com/fox-news-ratings-drop-2012/

This is a good thing right?  Maybe people are finally waking up to what BS fox noise is.  At least I can only hope so lol.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
Re: Viewers Continue To Flee Fox News as Ratings Drop
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:30 am »
Eventually high rates + low ratings = no more Faux Noise. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
Even if Fox News goes the way of the dinosaurs, some channel will be happy to take it's place, I've heard from many that CNN is trying to be Fox News lite.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
Even if Fox News goes the way of the dinosaurs, some channel will be happy to take it's place, I've heard from many that CNN is trying to be Fox News lite.

I dunno about that.  Courting the 45+ demographic doesn't make sound business sense.  Every time they get stupid that way Ted Turner threatens to buy them back.   

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »

Fox News continues to lose viewers, but remains highly profitable. How can a network lose viewers, but increase profits? The answer is that Fox News demands the highest licensing fee from carriers in all of cable news. All subscribers pay an additional seventy eight cents a month to have Fox News carried on their system. This was an 11% increase in 2011 and one of the main reasons why Fox News can lose viewers, but set a record for profits.[/blockquote]

maybe I'm missing it too but if there are fewer viewers to see advertisements, then what incentive do carriers have to pay said licensing fees?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »
Simply because it still has a whole lot of viewers!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »

This, even if Fox news dies, people have already proven there is a viable market for "news" which is overly subjective and reinforces its' viewers misconceptions. Than again, partisan media is nothing new in America (dating back to the days of the Federalists and Anti-Federalists), although what is modern is that about 5 media tycoons own something like 95% of the media in the world, which may mean news will become even more subjective to turn a profit.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »

Fox News continues to lose viewers, but remains highly profitable. How can a network lose viewers, but increase profits? The answer is that Fox News demands the highest licensing fee from carriers in all of cable news. All subscribers pay an additional seventy eight cents a month to have Fox News carried on their system. This was an 11% increase in 2011 and one of the main reasons why Fox News can lose viewers, but set a record for profits.[/blockquote]

maybe I'm missing it too but if there are fewer viewers to see advertisements, then what incentive do carriers have to pay said licensing fees?

Lot more local ads, which are way cheaper to buy time for because the rotation is less

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:50 am »

This is a good thing right?  Maybe people are finally waking up to what BS fox noise is.  At least I can only hope so lol.

They're just most likely getting their crap from someone else.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »
I like this news! Maybe folks are finally waking up!

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
I love when conservatives use the Argument from Popularity fallacy when claiming Fox News must be true because it has the most viewers/highest ratings. My counter to that is that Pro Wrestling always has tremendously high ratings, and they are much less fake than Fox News.
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »
I love when conservatives use the Argument from Popularity fallacy when claiming Fox News must be true because it has the most viewers/highest ratings. My counter to that is that Pro Wrestling always has tremendously high ratings, and they are much less fake than Fox News.

I think folks were watching it for the same reason folks watch Springer. Once they realized they were giving the Teabrains credence & influence, they went "WHAT AM I DOING?!!!" and went back to watching two-headed hicks from Dogpatch pummel each other on Jerry's show.