Author Topic: Police shut down Gay Parade in Mississippi.  (Read 8664 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Police shut down Gay Parade in Mississippi.
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »
But how many Southerners 18-25 actually voted Democratic? It is not the case that you can simply assume the voting population of one state will be the same as another.

Or, actually, how many 18-25 Southerners agree with liberalism in opinion polls?

Gimmie the stats for the north too, then. Guess what? You can't. You can only go by overall turnout. Which, I gave. Also, did you miss the bolded final sentence? The red states= the South mostly. So...

The point is, you can't just write off the South as being this hugely bigoted place. It's just another type of prejudice.

Also 18-25 is a poor demographic. It goes up to 29 when it comes to demographic results.

Burden of proof is on you as you are the one who contends that young Southerners are not rebelling against the older generation.

Quite frankly the proof you are asking of me does not exist and probably cannot exist unless thorough information is given at time of voting. If you cannot accept that there are more democrats in the South reporting to the polls than there are Republicans, and assuming that the Democrats by and large attract the younger generation, then I cannot convince you of anything otherwise.

You'll notice that I posted sources that keep track of voter turnout of the age demographic you demand. If that isn't good enough for you, then nothing will be good for you.

Shift from republican to democrat. The darker the blue, the more democratic the state voted.

I am at a loss on how to magically conjure up better evidence that can convince you. I will only say that Atlanta, Georgia was in the top 15 'gayest cities', it ranked #7 last year. Miami, Florida was number 15. Orlando, Florida was #4. One can assume that if you're gay in the South you will be voting to get yourself better rights. Unless you're like my ex who suffers from voter apathy.

Slowly but surely, America is going Blue. I like that! Add to the fact that older people will pass away, soon (not that I'm wishing death on anyone) and I'm happy to say that Progressive principles will grow. The "Revolution" didn't die at Altamont & Tate/LaBianca's....it just went dormant, waiting for a better time to emerge. Evil may win many battles but Good will win the war in the end.

Y'know why? A little something called KARMA!

Or it could mean that democrats are becoming more moderate/centrist instead of progressive as the Republican party goes off the deep end...
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:56 pm »
But how many Southerners 18-25 actually voted Democratic? It is not the case that you can simply assume the voting population of one state will be the same as another.

Or, actually, how many 18-25 Southerners agree with liberalism in opinion polls?

Gimmie the stats for the north too, then. Guess what? You can't. You can only go by overall turnout. Which, I gave. Also, did you miss the bolded final sentence? The red states= the South mostly. So...

The point is, you can't just write off the South as being this hugely bigoted place. It's just another type of prejudice.

Also 18-25 is a poor demographic. It goes up to 29 when it comes to demographic results.

Burden of proof is on you as you are the one who contends that young Southerners are not rebelling against the older generation.

Quite frankly the proof you are asking of me does not exist and probably cannot exist unless thorough information is given at time of voting. If you cannot accept that there are more democrats in the South reporting to the polls than there are Republicans, and assuming that the Democrats by and large attract the younger generation, then I cannot convince you of anything otherwise.

You'll notice that I posted sources that keep track of voter turnout of the age demographic you demand. If that isn't good enough for you, then nothing will be good for you.

Shift from republican to democrat. The darker the blue, the more democratic the state voted.

I am at a loss on how to magically conjure up better evidence that can convince you. I will only say that Atlanta, Georgia was in the top 15 'gayest cities', it ranked #7 last year. Miami, Florida was number 15. Orlando, Florida was #4. One can assume that if you're gay in the South you will be voting to get yourself better rights. Unless you're like my ex who suffers from voter apathy.

Slowly but surely, America is going Blue. I like that! Add to the fact that older people will pass away, soon (not that I'm wishing death on anyone) and I'm happy to say that Progressive principles will grow. The "Revolution" didn't die at Altamont & Tate/LaBianca's....it just went dormant, waiting for a better time to emerge. Evil may win many battles but Good will win the war in the end.

Y'know why? A little something called KARMA!

Or it could mean that democrats are becoming more moderate/centrist instead of progressive as the Republican party goes off the deep end...

Well, being a Moderate is better than nothing!

On a somewhat related subject. Folks should vote with absentee ballots. There will be a huge paper trail & you don't have to leave your house. I'm not going to worry about a few Liberals who wont vote. As long as a large amount of Progressives (be they Liberal or Moderate, my definition of 'Progressive' is broad) vote, we're fine.

I look at it this way. We've been through this before. We've been through the "Gilded Age" & "The Great Depression" and we're repeating it. However, we overcame those things & back then, IT WAS WORSE. If we could overthrow...or greatly shrink this problem then, we can do so now! They may have big money BUT SO WHAT? We're smart...where there's a will, there's a way! I will not let the "Doom-&-Gloom" of post-Walker election reports put a harsh on MY morale! That's the news, the corporate news....they're saying that ON PURPOSE!

Don't read the news! Regroup! Study from the Far-Right's playbook. Read their strategies & their ways of manipulation. Copy the non-repugnant ones. Use their laws against them! Use so-called  "Citizen's United" against them! Bring on the Progressive SuperPACS & funding from more Progressive CEOS & Celebrities! Turn our weaknesses into strengths! Improvise! THINK!

The INTERNET is our greatest tool & one they can't fully regulate or censor! USE IT!

Even if the social change is slow, a mostly Moderate America is better than a crazy, uneducated fundy TheoFascist inbred America. Over time, it will go more Left. The GOAL is RADICAL-LIBERAL but the methods & timelime must be REALISTIC, GRADUAL, MODERATE & NON-RADICAL. To use the examples of past activists, I'll illustrate with this statement: The majority of Americans will listen to MLK Jr. but they wont listen to Stokley Carmichael. They'll listen to Ghandi but they wont listen to Abbie Hoffman. They'll listen Susan B. Anthony or even Gloria Steinham but they wont listen to Andrea Dworkin. See? For a social revolution to stick, you need the MAJORITY behind you.

We can get America back on it's feet, and the world as well, we just need to unite & THINK!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »
Hello necro... Mods? can we get a lock on this?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
Not before I add a hilarious macro.

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An PuisĂ­n FaolchĂș
  • Pope
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:11 am »
-baps SpukiKitty- No necroing threads for you!

Also, locking.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.