Author Topic: Diablo III that never was  (Read 2235 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Diablo III that never was
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:33:01 am »
Note: I am not saying Diablo III that was released was a bad game.  Just pointing out that if the article holds true, it probably could of been a lot better.

The first Diablo wasn’t developed by Blizzard. It was cobbled together by a small developer called Condor which was bought up just six months before the release of Diablo and renamed Blizzard North.

Blizzard North was also responsible for the sequel, Diablo II and a Diablo II expansion pack.

screen shots of Alpha version- http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/05/diablo-3-2005-2.jpg
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/05/diablo-3-2005-1.jpg

They had started working on Diablo III years ago, and the screenshots above and below are what that game looked like back in 2005.

Unfortunately, a falling out between many of the Blizzard North people and the parent company of Blizzard Entertainment, Vivendi, led to the resignation of much of the developers’ staff.

Condor founders Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik along with  Bill Roper left Blizzard North in 2003. Dozens more employees left the company afterwards. The Condor Founders went on to start the short-lived Flagship Studios.

Diablo III was officially canned and Blizzard North was shut down in 2005.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/

I remember Blizzard north shutting down, but I would of figured blizz would of  handed the D3 project off to another group sooner and basically had them polish it up and make money sooner.  I do wonder though what could of been had Blizz North not fell apart.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Art Vandelay

Re: Diablo III that never was
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:40:23 am »
Ok, seriously dude. Could have. Could HAVE.

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:13 am »
Oh, look. It's THIS topic again. >_>
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
And what is hilarious about topics like this is the fact that Blizzard is even in worse shape due to Activision.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
So you've let us know, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 06:43:55 am »
Since I've only said it a few dozen times: http://www.torchlight2game.com/

The dungeon crawler made by a decent chunk of the blizzard north guys, after they bombed the hell out of things with hellgate. The first was pretty good, this one is shaping up to be far better than D3.