Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549259 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1455 on: September 22, 2013, 12:49:01 am »
I confess, it was I. I practiced Hoodoo and placed a hoodoo on these two threads, so as to voodoo this thread into being three times longer with a spell of Hoodoo.

So I hoodwinked you all with hoodoo.

Hoodoo.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1456 on: September 22, 2013, 01:00:06 am »
I confess, it was I. I practiced Hoodoo and placed a hoodoo on these two threads, so as to voodoo this thread into being three times longer with a spell of Hoodoo.

So I hoodwinked you all with hoodoo.

Hoodoo.

Do you have friends on the other side?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #1457 on: September 22, 2013, 01:15:52 am »
I think it's because discussing the loud vocal (and very crazy) minority is more interesting for some.

Like this shit for example:

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1458 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:51 am »
I'm still not convinced that these people are the minority in SJW.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

wrightway

« Reply #1459 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:26 am »
Online they do seem to be the majority. A quick search of tumblr, livejournal, twitter, etc will pull up a lot more crazy than sane.

I'd like to believe that offline the SJA outnumber the SJW.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1460 on: September 22, 2013, 10:41:24 am »

"SJW" (Social justice warrior) specifically refers to this kind of people. The general term for people who care about social justice and are not necessarily insane is Social Justice Advocate, or SJA.

That being said, the crazy ones are the minority. Some people might discuss where the line goes from insane to reasonable, but still.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1461 on: September 22, 2013, 11:24:57 am »

"SJW" (Social justice warrior) specifically refers to this kind of people. The general term for people who care about social justice and are not necessarily insane is Social Justice Advocate, or SJA.

That being said, the crazy ones are the minority. Some people might discuss where the line goes from insane to reasonable, but still.

I don't know. Even the supposed Sane Majority of the internet social justice crowd have some rather wacky opinions.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1462 on: September 22, 2013, 01:08:59 pm »
If you look to Reddit as an example of men, you'd think that the majority of the men on the internet were vile creepers who force themselves on women. If you look at any Dawkin's related forums, you'd think the majority of internet atheists were sexists racists scum bags that advocate the obliteration of anyone with a religious mindset. If you look at any radfem sites, you'd think the majority of internet feminist were rabid transphobe incapable of understanding that their concept of gender and sexuality doesn't exist cross-culturally.

But then you'll go into a defensive mode and exclaim "well Reddit doesn't represent all of us", "not all atheist are clueless", and you'd be right. So why is it that you look at tumblr and exclaim "that's the vast majority of social justice activists"? Especially when there's the Best of Social Justice thread showing their idea isn't as unfounded and inane as you preclude it to be.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

QueenofHearts

« Reply #1463 on: September 22, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »
If you look to Reddit as an example of men, you'd think that the majority of the men on the internet were vile creepers who force themselves on women. If you look at any Dawkin's related forums, you'd think the majority of internet atheists were sexists racists scum bags that advocate the obliteration of anyone with a religious mindset. If you look at any radfem sites, you'd think the majority of internet feminist were rabid transphobe incapable of understanding that their concept of gender and sexuality doesn't exist cross-culturally.

But then you'll go into a defensive mode and exclaim "well Reddit doesn't represent all of us", "not all atheist are clueless", and you'd be right. So why is it that you look at tumblr and exclaim "that's the vast majority of social justice activists"? Especially when there's the Best of Social Justice thread showing their idea isn't as unfounded and inane as you preclude it to be.

Cause it's fun to poke at minorities

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1464 on: September 22, 2013, 03:55:33 pm »

I don't know. Even the supposed Sane Majority of the internet social justice crowd have some rather wacky opinions.

I don't agree with everything the self-identified social justice crowd* says, including the sane ones, but I think there's a significant distinction to make between that and the sort of thing quoted above.

*I'm not sure where "social justice advocates" end and "people who are against sexism/racism/etc" begin, I'm using self-identification as a simple line of separation
Σא

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1465 on: September 22, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

It has never not bothered me that apparently people are able to (usually) separate radfems from your average feminist, as well as atheists like Dawkins from your average atheist, and MRA Redditors from your average redditor but once you hit a point where people are fighting for more than just "gay marriage" people find it almost impossible to find a line of separation between SJW and SJA. Even with the firm evidence on these forums that it is indeed a vocal minority same as fundies are of Christianity and Islam.

Someone please explain to me all this shit I’m seeing putting down allies.. Idek what to call it… Ally shaming?

You're missing a word 'shitty'. People are calling out shitty allies.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:50:58 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1466 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »

I guess it's pretty easy to sit here and condemn other people for stuff that you have no personal involvement in, right?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1467 on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:34 pm »

It's been proven time and time again that ideas like "only whites can be racist" and "'cultural appropriation' is bad" are indeed both majority opinions in that particular crowd. Just because some are not loud and hysterical about it doesn't mean that these views are any less irrational.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1468 on: September 22, 2013, 11:06:34 pm »

It's been proven time and time again that ideas like "only whites can be racist" and "'cultural appropriation' is bad" are indeed both majority opinions in that particular crowd. Just because some are not loud and hysterical about it doesn't mean that these views are any less irrational.

Oh? Show me where that's the majority opinion. And also, it sounds like you're just looking for a reason to make yourself superior to these people. Talk about a pathetic attempt at boosting your own ego.

Also we've already had the discussion about different views of what racism means that didn't rely on what people like Riley thinks it means, but I guess we're gonna just write that off as irrational right? Political incorrectness gone mad, I tells ya.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:08:32 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1469 on: September 22, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
Oh? Show me where that's the majority opinion.
I suppose I can dig up Smurfette's old Tumblr thread if you want. Or perhaps one of those Flame and Burn threads in which you yourself were quite vehemently pushing that idea.
Also we've already had the discussion about different views of what racism means that didn't rely on what people like Riley thinks it means, but I guess we're gonna just write that off as irrational right? Political incorrectness gone mad, I tells ya.
The thing is, language doesn't work that way. Words have commonly accepted definitions which, believe it or not, you can't just arbitrarily redefine them to suit your own views and still expect to be taken seriously.