Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550589 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2205 on: January 05, 2014, 12:55:00 pm »

But seriously, what is "dual gendered?"

Hermaphrodite?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2206 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »
Itinerant cyclist?  Activist?

Oh! A bum on a bike that likes to start trouble and annoy people.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:13:31 pm by the Doctor »

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2207 on: January 05, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »
Dual gendered means one identifies as aspects of both genders, or will occasionally "flip" gender and expression at any given time, depending upon which gender they feel most comfortable with at the time. If we accept gender as a spectrum, and as fluid, then this is a possibility: just as being agendered or genderqueer would be.

It's also recognized by the American Pyschological Association as a subset falling under the "transgender" umbrella.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2208 on: January 05, 2014, 03:09:07 pm »
Dual gendered means one identifies as aspects of both genders, or will occasionally "flip" gender and expression at any given time, depending upon which gender they feel most comfortable with at the time. If we accept gender as a spectrum, and as fluid, then this is a possibility: just as being agendered or genderqueer would be.

It's also recognized by the American Pyschological Association as a subset falling under the "transgender" umbrella.
Huh, that's interesting. What do you reckon the chances of this guy actually knowing that vs saying it because he thinks it'll make him look deep/open-minded/persecuted?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2209 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:02 pm »

Huh, that's interesting. What do you reckon the chances of this guy actually knowing that vs saying it because he thinks it'll make him look deep/open-minded/persecuted?

Even so, that isn't something one should question, lest we tacitly allow others to question whether we identify. Saying "this person is clearly faking it" allows others to say "Queen really isn't trans, it's transitioning for attention" or "that person isn't trans, they've been doing nothing to change for years" (ignoring that transitioning isn't easy or cheap).

It's one thing to have doubts as to whether someone identifies as they say or if they're doing it for attention. It's another to voice those doubts.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #2210 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »

"I'm into people of all ages..."

Hopefully those are all ages over the age of consent.
Wishfull thinking.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2211 on: January 06, 2014, 06:53:21 pm »

First off:

Second off, Disney has never had a Russian princess.

They would have to be at least eight feet tall.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2212 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58:43 pm »

First off:

Second off, Disney has never had a Russian princess.

Do they thin Anastasia was Disney?  Also, isn't Mulan one of the more popular princesses, and therefore featured in a lot of Disney Princess merchandise?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2213 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »
Not only is she popular (my little sisters adore her) She also kicks tons of ass. If I were a girl, I'd rather have a kickass warrior than a damsel in distress.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2214 on: January 06, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »
I've seen something like this brought up before. As with last time, I can give a unique viewpoint regarding merchandise, as I live close to Walt Disney World (and several Disney stores in places like malls and the airport) and so I get to see the current merchandising situation dozens of times a year.

All of those princesses are mostly equal in their popularity if you go by store shelf space, except for Jasmine (she's actually a bit uncommon) and Pocahontas (since her movie didn't do as well as all the others). There's also Merida from Brave, and Elsa and Anna from Frozen are very rapidly appearing; there's even a rumor that the Maelstrom ride at Epcot's Norway pavilion will be remade into a Frozen attraction. I wouldn't complain.

What you can also look at is the appearances of actresses as the different characters in the parks. Belle, Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty are the most popular (though this is likely a grandfather clause kind of thing keeping all of them so visible), with Elsa and Anna, again, making a prominent and nearly permanent appearance in the Norway pavilion. Jasmine and Aladdin show up regularly at the Morocco pavilion, and you can reliably find them there. Merida is still rare, and Mulan is uncommonly seen at the China pavilion. Pocahontas is almost never seen, again likely due to the movie being a bit less popular than all the others. Tiana is occasionally seen at the Magic Kingdom, near Liberty Square.

However, this isn't really due to intentional racism as much as it is actress availability. Disney has very exacting standards regarding appearance, including height, for every single one of their face characters. Belle, Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty are all the easiest to cast because Florida is pretty much overflowing with Caucasian female actresses. Jasmine and Aladdin are usually just olive-skinned Caucasians, and most people don't notice the difference unless they're eyeing skin color of all the actors to judge them. But for ethnic characters, you need actresses who are at least close to the right ethnicity (most normal people wouldn't complain if a Japanese woman was cast as Mulan) AND look the part. Florida is predominately white, followed by Hispanic and black. If you're wanting to cast a Mulan, you've got less than 2.1% of the population who MIGHT look the part and are the right height and have the acting talent (people always forget about acting talent; someone who looks like a clone of Pocahontas is useless if she can't actually do the job).

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2215 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:15 pm »
Related to the Disney princess discussion:
https://www.riemurasia.net/kuva/Disneyn-Prinsessat/135375
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2216 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:37 am »
Related to the Disney princess discussion:
https://www.riemurasia.net/kuva/Disneyn-Prinsessat/135375

I reblogged that once after it had already gotten a response. Just like in the link, that person said that Brave took place in Ireland.

It's Scotland, guys. Just because someone has red hair doesn't mean that they're Irish. Or did the kilts and Highland Games not clue you in enough?

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2217 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:49 am »
Since we're talking about Disney Princesses again (Anastasia is NOT Disney, it's the late Fox Animation Studios), let me take the opportunity to apologize for that one post involving Elsa (yes, I got the name right, thank you Chi for correcting me that one post) as an POC and me considering such as "illogical" (considering the setting) and making such an unintentionally racist post on this forum where I every other time know better than that.

Once more, there has been POC Disney Princesses over the ages, but most of them are also unintentionally racist, especially Pocahontas.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:12:34 am by Alehksunos »

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2218 on: January 07, 2014, 04:42:51 am »
It's been a long time since I've seen Pocahontas, so forgive my ignorance:  How is it racist?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2219 on: January 07, 2014, 04:46:12 am »
More importantly, why the hell has that obnoxious little titbit of Tumblr Social Justice Warrior speak that is "People of Colour" somehow caught on around here?