Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550402 times)

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2535 on: February 06, 2014, 05:13:51 am »
I was 15 at the time, and staying with a friend in Australia. His father worked for a firm which had its seat in the WTC, so he got a phonecall as soon as the first tower was hit, and woke us up to watch what was happening. I was a bit confused at the time.

I remember that my grandmother called me crying (she lived through the Pearl Harbor Attacks, and she was repeating "it's happening again" over and over)

I think that my parents were among the last people in the civilised world who learned about it : they were out at sea for a week, and only turned on their radio for the weather forecasts. They got in touch with another boat a week afterward who told them about it.

Edit : 15, not 5. Dear lord.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:19:43 am by LeTipex »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2536 on: February 06, 2014, 07:05:27 am »
I was 10 when it happened, and the teachers didn't tell us about it until late in the afternoon, around recess time. They were very professional about it and allowed us to ask any questions. Of course, some kids didn't really understand what was going on and told everyone to shut up so we could go outside for recess. Other kids were worried because they had parents working in DC. I found the whole thing pretty scary, but didn't fully grasp what it meant until later on.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2537 on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:10 am »
I was 23.  I was the only one up at the time so I turned on the TV and there it was.  One tower smoking and I was like "What the hell...?"   It was pretty surreal.  I guess like a lot of Americans I became complacent and I didn't think stuff like that could happen here.  Then came the next plane.  "This is crazy...  Who's doing this?!," were my thoughts.  I saw 'The Falling Man'.
Then word about the Pentagon being hit, and there went the first tower, then the second, falling straight down.

I remember thinking, "Things are going to be really different from here on."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2538 on: February 06, 2014, 12:11:47 pm »
I was 41. I was a partner in a neighborhood bistro, and we were cash strapped at the time from doing a major remodel. To pay my bills, I was working as a cocktail server in a popular bar, 2 double shifts in a row Sundays and Mondays til late night (they closed at 4am, then did cleaning/restock/sales reports til 6).

At 1pm on 9/11, I arrived at the bistro to continue building a wine bar and booths for the new expansion in a vacant retail space next door, that we'd built a big entryway into. I was tired and still sleepy, and was confused to see that a small TV was set up on a table in the dining area, surrounded by a small crowd of people staring at it. It was obvious something important was happening from everyone's faces, and since the bistro did not normally have a TV in it. I watched quietly, not wanting to seem foolish, since few customers knew what my work/sleep schedule was like. When the video repeat of the first tower being hit showed, I felt that floating sensation in the gut that you get when you are about to arrive after a fast elevator ride.

It ended up being the best/worst/busiest/quietest day in the bistro's history. Everyone in the neighborhood eventually either came there, or to the pub two blocks away. Both places were packed, because nobody wanted to stay at home alone watching the news. I watched an hour of the news when I arrived, but had no choice but to go work on the remodel project. It was good to have something to focus on, and having no choice but to do it. It helped keep my grief and rage tamped down. Occasionally, a person or two would come in there to sit and cry in relative privacy. It was eerie how quiet the bistro was, even though it was packed with people. Like a funeral service, and it was like a very somber wake, everyone getting quietly numb with drink.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2539 on: February 06, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »
I was barely 11 at the time, just started secondary school. First I heard was when some 6th formers (last 2 years of high school), had a radio and were going to the classrooms telling people as they went during the afternoon lessons. Heard more about it on the radio on the way home. I remember thinking that only bad things could happen from here on, likely a war of some sort.

Though to be honest I got more worried by the 7/7 attack, because I live in London, a friend of mine was crying because he thought his dad was on one of the trains that got blown up. Hearing the weird, confused jumble of news throughout the day didn't help that.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2540 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »
....some of you motherfuckers are damn old.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2541 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »
Beats the alternative, Chit.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2542 on: February 07, 2014, 08:43:09 am »
Yeaaaaaaah...you really want a bunch of teenage wankers whining about how math is unfair and how the pretty girl in biology class won't pay attention to 'em?  We get good teenagers here, but they're the minority.  Any more, and we'd start dipping into the majority, and that's when we have Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey threads that eclipse even the MLP thread in size...and nobody wants that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2543 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
I was 12 when 9/11 happened. It was during my first period math class. We were all too shocked to do our work, even the teachers.

I remember the OKC bombing too. I saw them try to tear the rest of the building down. I didn't understand what was going on then though, since I was barely even six.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2544 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
It's a little dated, but here's some reactions to the royal baby's birth (spoilered for size):

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2545 on: February 07, 2014, 05:11:12 pm »
*ultra double beak-claw*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2546 on: February 07, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »

(old pic from when Buckingham Palace caught fire)
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2547 on: February 07, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »
I remember the OKC bombing too. I saw them try to tear the rest of the building down. I didn't understand what was going on then though, since I was barely even six.

I was nine when the federal building got blown apart. I was in school at the time, around 9 miles away. We were in class when the bomb went off and the windows were rattling in their frames. After that my dad took me to go see the wreckage.

Puts a whole new spin on "National Tragedy" when you can feel the rubble crunching under your sneakers and see the street signs folded around the stop-light poles.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2548 on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:48 pm »
It's a little dated, but here's some reactions to the royal baby's birth (spoilered for size):

(click to show/hide)

Ew
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2549 on: February 07, 2014, 10:12:19 pm »
Saying 'It's a boy' is rather more dignified than saying 'IT HAS A PENIS!'.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel