Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549591 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #3510 on: May 04, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »
And blubber is NOT the same thing as fat. Blubber is thicker and more rich in blood vessels than adipose tissue (or "body fat"), which makes it much more vital than fat for the mammals that have it.

The reason people are getting obese nowadays has nothing to do with the Aquatic Ape theory and everything to do with our lives becoming more sedentary as life gets easier and our diets not changing over quickly enough from the ones that are very high in fat, sugar, and calories. We're simply consuming more than we need.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3511 on: May 04, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
Yet their large amounts of viable meat would make them susceptible to the new predators, the Flying Carnivorous Monkeys of the American Islands, controlled by an insane Sarah Palin who calls herself the Wicked Bitch of the West!

No, you've got to have alliteration. She is the Bicked Bitch of the Best.

:3

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3512 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:11 pm »
Yeah, that's going to give the "fat is healthy" movement the scientific cred it needs, citing the aquatic ape hypothesis.
Σא

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3513 on: May 04, 2014, 11:09:17 pm »
I found the theory engaging when I first read about it, too. Here's the author of the theory, the late Elaine Morgan, explaining it in a TED video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPoM7lGYHw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPoM7lGYHw</a>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3514 on: May 04, 2014, 11:09:39 pm »
They do realize if they really push this, they're just gonna give the bullies more material in the vein of "beached whale" insults, right?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3515 on: May 04, 2014, 11:13:47 pm »
I found the theory engaging when I first read about it, too. Here's the author of the theory, the late Elaine Morgan, explaining it in a TED video.

I was being sarcastic. As far as I can tell, most biologists think it doesn't have much going for it.

(haven't watched the TED video yet, will eventually)
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3516 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:12 am »

I was being sarcastic. As far as I can tell, most biologists think it doesn't have much going for it.

It's dubious, at best. The actual hypothesis -- that our ancestors spent more time in and around water than other apes, thus developing certain adaptations -- isn't full-on crackpot, although it lacks sufficient evidence, but there are quite a few nuts who have ran with it and come up with some pretty insane stuff.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3517 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:42 am »

Pity. It is an exciting and fun theory that does have some merit but the boring old savannah monkeys theory more likely to be true.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time that a scientific breakthrough is ignored because it went against the old theories AND was made by a woman. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Matzinger Though her theory has flaws as well.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3518 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »

Pity. It is an exciting and fun theory that does have some merit but the boring old savannah monkeys theory more likely to be true.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time that a scientific breakthrough is ignored because it went against the old theories AND was made by a woman. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Matzinger Though her theory has flaws as well.)

I would definitely suggest watching her TED talk. She did make excellent points, and was not a crackpot as far as her scientific credentials go. Most people outside of anthropology just "know" she's wrong from what they've read of the majority opinion, held for close to a century, about ancient apes and early hominid ancestors, not having been interested enough to go beyond their initial doubts to actually read up on the theory in question.

There is a pretty strong tendency in the life sciences for vituperative argument and disdainful dismissal without first giving new ideas some hard thought. It took decades of vigorous, and sometimes raging, disparaging argument for the now-accepted fact that many, if not just about all, dinosaurs were warm blooded. This actually happened during my own lifetime, as I was taught in school that they were cold blooded back in the '60's and '70's. One of the current hot-and-heavy arguments about saurians is whether the T-Rex was primarily a scavenger Versus a predator. Those teeny foreleg "arms" seem kinda sketchy for either an ambush predator, or sprint/chase capture predation. But, they would work okay for steadying a Rex as it leaned into a big carcass, gnashing away and crushing bones with it's peg shaped, massive, non-serrated teeth.

Scientists in the hard science fields like astronomy and physics are comparably quite a bit more pragmatic and civil in their discourse about new theories, since the maths can be replicated or audited, and the discoveries are repeatable and falsifiable without so much reliance on personal opinion about existing theories.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3519 on: May 05, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »

So let me get this straight, white people have no culture but they're also forcing everyone else to adapt to their culture.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3520 on: May 05, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »
I'm more concerned by the fact that "white people" (read: Western europeans and Americans) force their culture on other people than the idea that they have no culture.

(Personally, I think saying that white people "have no culture" is like saying that "white culture is the standard", which is... ... heh, "problematic")
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3521 on: May 05, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »
I'm more concerned by the fact that "white people" (read: Western europeans and Americans) force their culture on other people than the idea that they have no culture.

(Personally, I think saying that white people "have no culture" is like saying that "white culture is the standard", which is... ... heh, "problematic")

I bet if you asked most people in developing countries if they felt an external "white culture" was imposed on them, they'd give you funny looks. So-called white culture is apparently incredibly popular and you'll see xenophobic cultures either adapt to that or die out.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3522 on: May 05, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »

I bet if you asked most people in developing countries if they felt an external "white culture" was imposed on them, they'd give you funny looks. So-called white culture is apparently incredibly popular and you'll see xenophobic cultures either adapt to that or die out.
They would be slightly miffed about the whole "multinational corporations fucking there natural recourses and testing drugs on them" thing, but it's more fun to bitch about culture apricot.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3523 on: May 05, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

I bet if you asked them how they felt about white people fucking with their culture and lands, they'd have words to say.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3524 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:04 pm »

I bet if you asked them how they felt about white people fucking with their culture and lands, they'd have words to say.
As I said.