Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549360 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4650 on: October 15, 2014, 12:01:52 am »

Well wtf are you then, an Irken invader?
That would be if they were from deviantart.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4651 on: October 15, 2014, 04:05:39 am »
Cerim Treascair, and RavynousHunter:

Japanese artists and writers have often taken names and imagery from western myths while making fiction. Often it is simply used "because it sounds foreign" or "because we wanted something mystical." It is not supposed to be 100% accurate use of the source material.

Western fiction has also used myths similarly. Are "Golems" in D&D 100% honest representation of the Jewish mythology? Flesh golems, iron golems...

Other mythologies are also used in fiction commonly with varying degrees of "accuracy." Stargate used a lot of myths but made it so that the myths were based on alien races. Should someone be furious that Ra is supposed to be a god not some alien overlord?

It is just that the "go make me a sandwich" seems to assume that any reference to something should be 100% accurate AND does not understand that someone might not MEAN to make a 100% accurate representation of a myth or religion in a fictional story.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #4652 on: October 15, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »

Japanese artists and writers have often taken names and imagery from western myths while making fiction. Often it is simply used "because it sounds foreign" or "because we wanted something mystical." It is not supposed to be 100% accurate use of the source material.

Western fiction has also used myths similarly. Are "Golems" in D&D 100% honest representation of the Jewish mythology? Flesh golems, iron golems...

Other mythologies are also used in fiction commonly with varying degrees of "accuracy." Stargate used a lot of myths but made it so that the myths were based on alien races. Should someone be furious that Ra is supposed to be a god not some alien overlord?

It is just that the "go make me a sandwich" seems to assume that any reference to something should be 100% accurate AND does not understand that someone might not MEAN to make a 100% accurate representation of a myth or religion in a fictional story.
That's without even taking into account that since mythology is (was) a living subject, there is no perfectly accurate representation of mythology. Case in point : Anubis, defender of the sun against the night, or brother-killer waging war on his nephew Orus? Depends on the story and the era of the myth. Myth and stories change with time, and so do cultures and their components (from food to dress to rituals and whanot)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4653 on: October 15, 2014, 06:06:34 pm »

That's without even taking into account that since mythology is (was) a living subject, there is no perfectly accurate representation of mythology. Case in point : Anubis, defender of the sun against the night, or brother-killer waging war on his nephew Orus? Depends on the story and the era of the myth. Myth and stories change with time, and so do cultures and their components (from food to dress to rituals and whanot)

Fair points.  I yield, in that regard.  I'm not well-read enough.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4654 on: October 16, 2014, 12:01:48 am »
people calling themselves “queer” just lets me know that they’re probably privileged enough for it to never have been used against them as a slur lol

"How dare those gay people not agree with me that queer is the most offensive slur ever and have no problems using it?"  And yeah, this isn't about straight people throwing the word around, it's about gay people who freely use the word.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4655 on: October 16, 2014, 12:14:40 am »
Another thing that bothers me about PZ is that he still comes across as kind of nasty when it comes to talking about religious people (I'm sorry, but that "Wafergate" thing was totally immature regardless of how unhinged people's reactions were).

I thought crackergate was hilarious; it was PZ at his best.

(click to show/hide)
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4656 on: October 18, 2014, 08:13:14 pm »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4657 on: October 18, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Polygon loves its clickbait, apparently. Even Kotaku would be proud.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #4658 on: October 18, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »
Another thing that bothers me about PZ is that he still comes across as kind of nasty when it comes to talking about religious people (I'm sorry, but that "Wafergate" thing was totally immature regardless of how unhinged people's reactions were).

I thought crackergate was hilarious; it was PZ at his best.

(click to show/hide)

Considering how people's reactions to the incident were completely bashit insane (they were almost identical to the Jihadists who calling for a fatwa on the Danish cartoonist who drew Muhammed), I have no qualms whatsoever about PZ's "heinous cracker abuse" joke. They were asking for it.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4659 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »

I wonder if this is some weird trolling thing to stir up controversy in hopes of boosting profits from the resulting arguments.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4660 on: October 18, 2014, 10:14:00 pm »

I wonder if this is some weird trolling thing to stir up controversy in hopes of boosting profits from the resulting arguments.
Gee, ya think?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4661 on: October 18, 2014, 10:56:39 pm »

Gee, ya think?
Another possibility is that Valve takes a long time to release things.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4662 on: October 19, 2014, 02:58:52 am »

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #4663 on: October 19, 2014, 03:46:07 am »
Today in started off good but then went wrong theatre...
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4664 on: October 19, 2014, 06:26:25 am »
Wait, you can rape people with your eyes? Shit, I've gotta make a lot of apologies...