Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551084 times)

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #5400 on: January 23, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
Say, what's that kid that Bill Murray experimented on in the Royal Tenenbaums doing nowadays other than writing for Exalted?

Hahaha that kidder Stephen, he's such a comedic geni- Oh wow. He's not joking, and this makes me really sad for some reason.
That's... not so bad... I mean, he isn't saying "never ever get inspired by other cultures" as much as "be careful when you do". There's a fair bit of "white guilt" there, which is frankly not always a good thing, but apart from that...

I think I remember that thread, it ended up being pretty interesting too...

Number 5 just stuck out to me as less of a bad thing than him trying to reconcile his line of work with the vaguely segregationalist SJW bullshit, and then ultimately failing due to the sheer cognitive dissonance inherent in such a action.

It's more "this is what this bullshit does to creative freedom" than saying he was bad for saying these things.
I don't know. While I'm the first to agree that cultural appropriation in the (as you put it so eloquently) "vaguely segregationalist SJW bullshit" way is stupid beyond belief, there's an argument to be made that when you do art that is inspired by other cultures, you have to be careful.

Like, if somebody goes to me saying "you're wearing a gi and doing martial arts, that's cultural appropriation, you're a horrible person and you should feel bad!" I'm gonna laugh all my way to the dojo.

But when someone says "you know, having white people start to play jazz a few y ears after it became popular in the african-american community was a problem, because suddently those who invented that music didn't see a penny of worth from it because due to racial bias, most white artists were paid a lot more than black artists, thus in essense robing the african american community of one of their discoveries", I'm gonna have to agree on that.

When it comes to monetizing things that other cultures inspired, you should at least take a minute to ask yourself what the repercutions are going to be. Of course, refusing to use those sources of inspiration results in erasure, which is a worst problem in many ways, so there's also that to take into account.

(Granted, I don't think a rpg like Exalted is going to have huge issues with that : as much as I like it, it's so much of a niche market as to be nonexistent, and so the question is moot, but hey, whatcha gonna do...)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:24:53 am by LeTipex »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5401 on: January 23, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »
Thing is, it sounds to me like he's saying that there Is no way to do it right. He outright says he believes there is no ethical way to develop a game based on a culture other than your own. I can't agree with that sentiment. That sounds wrong to me.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5402 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:40 pm »

Actually, transmen are people who have gone from female to male; if anything, they're the gender traitors abandoning proud womynhood.

That moment when the TERF can't even keep her own hateful rhetoric straight.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5403 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:21 pm »

Actually, transmen are people who have gone from female to male; if anything, they're the gender traitors abandoning proud womynhood.

by that logic, shouldn't the hashtag read "misandry" and not "misogyny"?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5404 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:36 pm »

Actually, they are keeping their rhetoric straight; in TERF-land, "trans man" means trans woman (for the obvious reasons). So this is just standard TERF transmisogyny.
Σא

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
« Reply #5405 on: January 23, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »
Thing is, it sounds to me like he's saying that there Is no way to do it right. He outright says he believes there is no ethical way to develop a game based on a culture other than your own. I can't agree with that sentiment. That sounds wrong to me.
He's saying there might be no way to do it right. To be fair, I won't go as far as he does (as I said, that way lies erasure and compartimentalisation, and that's a big no-no), but he does raise valid points.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5406 on: January 23, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »
That's how all bad Tumblr social justice works. They raise valid points and then take them to the point of absurdity. You see it from things like transethnicity to cultural appropriation to bunself genders.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
« Reply #5407 on: January 23, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »
That's how all bad Tumblr social justice works. They raise valid points and then take them to the point of absurdity. You see it from things like transethnicity to cultural appropriation to bunself genders.
Fair enough, I guess ^^

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5408 on: January 23, 2015, 11:22:20 pm »

I could be wrong, but I doubt there are a lot of trans actresses.  And even if there are, something tells me most of them are in their twenties and thirties.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5409 on: January 24, 2015, 04:31:31 pm »

No, Vade. Just, no.

So in other news, ADF has a new tumblr (Non-safe for life, and work with all the BDSM stuff) at http://diosa-latina-de-misandria.tumblr.com/.

-- ahuviya harel - 29 y.o., mtf transqueer, they/them/she/her gender pronouns, mixed latina/white, disabled. slave regisration number 960-254-083

Alright, not bad.

*Sees "Slave registration" number*

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:57:31 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5410 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:29 pm »

"Mental race"?  That's a race she lost.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5411 on: January 24, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »

"Mental race"?  That's a race she lost.

mental racism, now with 38 different fruity flavors of wrongness. the perfect breakfast cereal!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5412 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:17 pm »
So in other news, ADF has a new tumblr (Non-safe for life, and work with all the BDSM stuff) at http://diosa-latina-de-misandria.tumblr.com/.

-- ahuviya harel - 29 y.o., mtf transqueer, they/them/she/her gender pronouns, mixed latina/white, disabled. slave regisration number 960-254-083

Alright, not bad.

*Sees "Slave registration" number*

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope-
I'm just mad about the shitty autoplay music.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5413 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:29 pm »
Mental...race?

Ironbite-oh gods the stupid burns.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5414 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:00 pm »
I had a mental race with myself once. It ended with a compound fracture in my wrist from falling down the stairs.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.