Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551553 times)

Even Then

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6795 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:55 pm »
Until we somehow get our act together and figure out proper finely-grained vocabulary for the relevant variations in biological sex, "male" and "female" really is the best we've got.

Sad, but true. :(

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6796 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:34 pm »
I work with bells and spigots. I guess that makes non-threaded pipe connections more progressive.  ;D

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6797 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
I do not care if I'm being transphobic, I am not letting my male and female pipes and connectors transition and become Trans Pipes!

Gawd does not make mistakes, Pipe! You were created a male pipe and I am not letting you go through surgery and become a connector!

WHAT!? NO! MY PIPE JUST ATTEMPTED SUICIDE!! THAT IS A MORTAL SIN YOU PIECE OF METAL!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6798 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »
I do not care if I'm being transphobic, I am not letting my male and female pipes and connectors transition and become Trans Pipes!

Gawd does not make mistakes, Pipe! You were created a male pipe and I am not letting you go through surgery and become a

What about the real life homeowner fix of bang it with a large block of wood til it fits? Pipe rape?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6799 on: August 28, 2015, 11:53:23 pm »

Gawd does not make mistakes, Pipe! You were created a male pipe and I am not letting you go through surgery and become a

What about the real life homeowner fix of bang it with a large block of wood til it fits? Pipe rape?

Unlicensed back-alley surgery.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6800 on: August 29, 2015, 01:16:39 am »
Finnish has male- and female-adapters in technical language. And yes, there are teachers who use it as "proof" for why homosexuality is "wrong and won't work" but mainly it is just a simple way of naming adapters and such. Male thingy goes into the female thingy, that is simple and back when someone thought of they probably didn't think that using the names of biological genders would cause distress to people.

...Besides, we also have things like these:
male-male adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/Neutrik_NA3MM_XLR_Male_to_XLR_491523.jpg
female-female adapter:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/images/vga-female-to-female-adapter-p2553-3176_zoom.jpg

So all you need is some tools and you can have "same-sex" unions with your cables, pipes whatnot.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6801 on: August 29, 2015, 01:59:12 am »
^ HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Even Then

« Reply #6802 on: August 29, 2015, 02:19:45 am »
Finnish has male- and female-adapters in technical language. And yes, there are teachers who use it as "proof" for why homosexuality is "wrong and won't work"

what the fuck the fuck, they're pieces of metal, why

Also, did we ever get that same-sex marriage legislation through? As far as I'm aware, it's still stuck in development hell.

(Also, obligatory "Suomi mainittu, torilla tavataan XD )

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6803 on: August 29, 2015, 02:35:24 am »
Finnish has male- and female-adapters in technical language. And yes, there are teachers who use it as "proof" for why homosexuality is "wrong and won't work"

what the fuck the fuck, they're pieces of metal, why

Also, did we ever get that same-sex marriage legislation through? As far as I'm aware, it's still stuck in development hell.

(Also, obligatory "Suomi mainittu, torilla tavataan XD )

Urosliitin and Naarasliitin. Like I said, few decades ago it probably seemed like a funny but logical way of naming them because everyone will naturally remember what they mean rather than if they had made up completely new terms for them.

Samesex marriage law change in Finland were passed but the changes won't go into action until 1.3.2017 because... I don't know, we don't make changes that would activate immediately? There are a few other laws that also have to be changed and they gave some time to prepare for those? Anyway, even if some parties *cough* Truefinns *cough* manage to stall and prevent changes to the other laws that would contradict the marriage law the new law will go into effect in 2017 even if there are still contradictions. There is no way to prevent that because the parliament accepted it, but things will be less messy if some assholes won't prevent changing those other laws to suit this one.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #6804 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:29 am »
No no, the "what the fuck" was directed at the teachers. I understand the principle behind naming the connectors that.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6805 on: August 29, 2015, 07:56:21 am »
Well, personally I just don't see the need to refer to pieces of metal as having a gender when there are other, probably simpler methods of identification that could be used. Then again, Finnish has no gendered grammatic structures so maybe my perspective on the matter is tainted.

it's a penis metaphor. it's the only reason it caught on.

brb, going to trigger misandrists with a guitar lead.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:25:58 pm by guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6806 on: August 29, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
I find all that fatlogic very triggering.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6807 on: August 29, 2015, 01:50:54 pm »
Don't thinsplain me shitkings!!!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6808 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:13 pm »
Don't thinsplain me shitkings!!!

That's shitLORDS, get it right!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6809 on: August 29, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »

I can only imagine what would happen if one of these morons tried to learn a gendered language.

Quote from: Mark Twain
In German, a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip, and what callous disrespect for the girl. See how it looks in print -- I translate this from a conversation in one of the best of the German Sunday-school books:

"Gretchen.
    Wilhelm, where is the turnip?
Wilhelm.
    She has gone to the kitchen.
Gretchen.
    Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden?
Wilhelm.
    It has gone to the opera."

To continue with the German genders: a tree is male, its buds are female, its leaves are neuter; horses are sexless, dogs are male, cats are female -- tomcats included, of course; a person's mouth, neck, bosom, elbows, fingers, nails, feet, and body are of the male sex, and his head is male or neuter according to the word selected to signify it, and not according to the sex of the individual who wears it -- for in Germany all the women either male heads or sexless ones; a person's nose, lips, shoulders, breast, hands, and toes are of the female sex; and his hair, ears, eyes, chin, legs, knees, heart, and conscience haven't any sex at all. The inventor of the language probably got what he knew about a conscience from hearsay.

Sigmaleph: And let's not forget that Spanish also has a weird exception to its usual gender rules: "el mapa."  Everything else follows the "-o is male, -a is female" pattern.  But MAPS.  Why are fucking maps so special?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:05:18 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!