Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551334 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6870 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:12 pm »
Honestly the descriptor of "white" is kind of useless anyway. A Swede and a Greek look about as alike as an Indian and a Chinese man, but they're both put under this umbrella of "white", along with Armenians, Spaniards, Scotsmen, and Italians - but not Turks for some reason, and not Roma for some reason. So I have to ask... just what is "white"?
I've seen "white" refer to anything from only northern and western Europeans (Iberians not included), to all Europeans, Middle Easterners, North Africans and Indians. Needless to say, it'll probably be a while before we ever get a concrete definition.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6871 on: September 05, 2015, 01:26:32 am »

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6872 on: September 05, 2015, 01:52:51 am »
So, there's this post:  http://weirdlyghostly.tumblr.com/post/120323175755/did-u-know-being-mentally-ill-doesnt-give-u-a

Here's one reply:

This is ableism within the mental health community at its finest.

Are we just going to ignore the fact that sometimes unfavourable behaviour towards others are actually symptoms of disorders or nah

Like PLEASE go tell my cousin with severe autism who can’t even talk that him hitting someone bc he literally does not have any grasp on social norms is his fault.

Just because one individual with two ~*~*anxiety~*~*~ disorders or someone with depression is not only able to critically analyze their behaviour (believe it or not, not everyone can) but as a result change it, does not mean that every single individual affected by mental health problems can do the same or that every single mental disorder manifests itself in the same way.

It won't be your cousin's fault, but it can be the responsibility of whoever's caring for him.  Mental illness doesn't supersede other peoples' right to health and safety.

And then there's this response.  I won't post all of it because it's long as hell, but here are some highlights.

It’s sort of the equivalent of “Just because you’re queer doesn’t mean you can’t sometimes be mean to straight people about other stuff!”
. . .
Instead of BS PSAs like this further guilting people who are often already cripplingly afraid of hurting people, we need to educate more as to what an outburst looks like, how to deal with it. If people know that an attack isn’t personal and isn’t a conscious choice(unlike most “unintentional” transgressions) it becomes a lot easier for people to deal with it.
. . .
Having run a small trans group for some years, I’ve had to learn to that too. Some people will try and push me away completely and say horrid things even though I’ve always supported them. They are usually in a state of intense self loathing, and the absolute WORST thing I could do to resolve this situation is follow OP’s advice. Please stop telling this to Neurodiverse people. We already hate ourselves enough.
. . .
I’m honestly fearful for how people will react to me even saying this. I was genuinely shit scared when it came to this section of my talk, because some Feminists(especially White/Cis Feminists™) can be genuinely frightening when you challenge stuff like this. People need to stop conflating mental illness with abuse in general because more often than not, statistically we’re the ones who end up suffering abuse. But we’re not allowed to challenge the dominant narratives of who we are and what we do, we don’t own those, we don’t own ourselves.

If this shit was about almost literally ANY OTHER marginalised group, it wouldn’t fly. But for ND people it seems to.

As long as you want to make comparisons, saying "NDs are more likely to be abused than be an abuser" to stop messages like this is sort of like saying "women face more out-of-prison rapes and abuse than men" to stop reminding people that men can be abuse victims, too (and this is something radfems like to do).

I think this person does have some good points, but the overall message seems to say "ND people suffer more than NT people, so NTs are obligated to endure harmful behavior for the sake of NDs especially if it's out of their control".  A person who is so mentally ill that they have uncontrollable, physically violent outbursts isn't hitting you because they're an asshole, but you'll have a broken nose regardless; unless it's your actual job to handle these people, you have every right to remove yourself from the danger they present.  It's not their fault, but it's not yours either, and you don't deserve to be injured any more than they deserve to be harmed in retaliation for their uncontrollable outburst.

The same goes for mental and emotional health.  Harmful behavior is harmful behavior, and no amount of self-loathing will change that.  It also won't change the fact that the OP's original message is true; mentally ill people can be outright shitty people, and will use their illness to avoid repercussion.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6873 on: September 05, 2015, 03:42:22 am »
i hate the fact that i lose my memory and control of myself when i have an episode. i live in dread of having one. does that make me a bad person? no. if i blamed all of my dickishness on my illness as a free pass, i'd be an asshole. instead, i make amends and loathe myself some more.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6874 on: September 05, 2015, 08:27:04 am »

Are you sure you want another French Revolution?  Because it eventually killed its most radical elements.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6875 on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »
I recall reading a column by a billionaire warning his ilk the French Revolution would come again if they did not stop their more aggrandizing behavior. And I guess we just saw the first blows of that.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6876 on: September 05, 2015, 10:02:34 pm »
I recall reading a column by a billionaire warning his ilk the French Revolution would come again if they did not stop their more aggrandizing behavior. And I guess we just saw the first blows of that.

Maybe I should've provided a little more context.  It's in reference to this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/police-investigating-package-filled-with-cash-dropped-off-at-door-of-slain-family/2015/05/20/a100af9e-ff07-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

How anybody can think this tragedy is the beginning of French Revolution II: Electric Boogaloo is beyond me.  Really, all signs point to this being motivated by simple greed. 

Furthermore, the victim-blaming implications leap off the page.  Why would she make that comparison when it comes to something like this?  Well, let's see, the French Revolution was motivated in part by the abuses of the Second Estate, aka the Aristocracy.  With that in mind, she seems to be implying that they had it coming.

And the reason this is in Worst of Social Justice?  Well, according to the person who posted this image, she's got black supremacist beliefs.  The prime suspect is black, and most of the victims were white.  So it seems like she views this as "chickens coming home to roost".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6877 on: September 06, 2015, 03:07:57 pm »

It's not legal to murder trans people, it's legal to attempt to use "trans panic" as a defense in court.  Whether the judge or jury take this defense seriously is another matter entirely.

And why the hell did they lump drag queens in with rapists and child molesters?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:09:31 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6878 on: September 06, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »
It's a rhetorical device, UP. People not using exact legal terminology is not the worst thing about social justice.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #6879 on: September 06, 2015, 03:16:07 pm »
Because drag queens are perceived to mock transgender-ness by making a show of it, or that's what I've seen talked about at least.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6880 on: September 06, 2015, 03:24:16 pm »
It's a rhetorical device, UP. People not using exact legal terminology is not the worst thing about social justice.

It's still factually wrong.  California's the only state to specifically ban the trans panic defense, but there are many states where using provocation as a defense isn't allowed.  And that includes the trans panic defense.

Because drag queens are perceived to mock transgender-ness by making a show of it, or that's what I've seen talked about at least.

I'm sure trans drag queens would disagree with that.

Even Then

« Reply #6881 on: September 06, 2015, 03:46:20 pm »
Eh, personally I don't know enough to form an opinion of it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6882 on: September 06, 2015, 05:42:25 pm »
And considering some trans people start out as drag queens I'm not sure why the person is lumping them in with child rapists et al.

Even Then

« Reply #6883 on: September 06, 2015, 05:51:20 pm »
That too.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6884 on: September 06, 2015, 07:02:38 pm »