Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550019 times)

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7305 on: October 17, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »

Can anyone figure out this math?

Apparently, prejudice has a square root. Who knew?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7306 on: October 17, 2015, 05:27:47 pm »

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #7307 on: October 17, 2015, 05:42:37 pm »

I love how she ran out of character space to post that wharrgarbl. I wonder if she realizes that it's not 1965 anymore and that there are quite a few female soldiers now?

Even Then

« Reply #7308 on: October 17, 2015, 05:55:03 pm »
Do not call me cisgender. You have no right or authority to name me without my consent.
Cisgender is a word used by persons who have decided to name me without my permission.
Cisgender is not a name or identity that females, women as a class, have chosen for ourselves.
It does not come from us, as its origins are from a trans perspective, a person said to be a man, created by trans persons and used to name females/women as a class. Women have not agreed to be named by others, as has been done to us through history, being named, identified and defined by others.
You do not get to name me without my permission.
Do not call me cisgender. That is offensive to me. I am offended that you consider that you have power over me, and can name me.
Cisgender is an epithet, abusive, contemptuous and expresses hostility towards me.
I name myself. The names and words I use include female, woman, her, she, wimmin, womon, womyn. You have permission to use those words when addressing or referring to me.
You do not have the permission to call me names you have created for me, against my will and demand that I own them as mine.
Do not call me cisgender. That is your word, not mine.

This is what TERFs actually believe.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7309 on: October 17, 2015, 05:57:41 pm »

Can anyone figure out this math?

...we all know this is parody, right? Right.

Anyway, the equation is odd. The text clearly says "divided by misogyny and multiplied by racism", but the equation shows the opposite, multiplying it by M/R rather than R/M. It could be that they left out a divided by symbol just before the parenthesis, which both explains why the parenthesis is there and fits with the text. There are other ambiguities left in the text, like for example if the square root applies to prejudice, or prejudice  + systematic oppression, or what, but I'm going to go by the equation and assume there are no missing parentheses, for simplicity.

so we have B=sqrt(P)+SO/(M/R), or equivalently B=sqrt(P)+R*SO/M.

This has the interesting implication that bullying, the square root of prejudice, and racism times oppression over misogyny must all have the same units (otherwise, it'd make no sense to add them!).

But as we all know, racism is prejudice + power, which means prejudice and racism both have power units (watts)

The square root of a watt has units of L*M^(1/2)*T^(-3/2), where L is length, M is mass and T is time. Bullying has these same units, as does R*SO/M, but as we already established R has units of power, so the units of SO/M must be such that something with units of power times it gives units of square root of power. Which is to say, it has units of power to the minus one-half, or more conveniently, M/SO has units of square root of power.

Got to say, I would not have expected that from the dimensional analysis.
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7310 on: October 17, 2015, 06:41:38 pm »
so now social justice zealots are bastardizing math to try and make their convoluted logic make sense? counter-productive. i didn't understand anything  ???
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7311 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »
No. Some parodied the "racism= prejudice + power" thing and I run with it because I'm bored.
Σא

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #7312 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:51 pm »
Looking back now, with a Tumblr name like that I now see it's a parody.  That's what I get for posting after not getting any sleep.  Still I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Tumblr took it seriously.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7313 on: October 18, 2015, 09:02:27 pm »

The real way to win in SJ - just imitate your enemy's infantile name calling.

That cannot go wrong and give certain people ammunition against you as well as notions of a high horse and a gate to go dashing out from.

Well, as a man who thinks getting insulted (?) by a tumblrina is a sign I'm living right, I really wish they'd be more creative.

Fun (?) fact: There's a local term for straight people that is coincidentally identical to a racial slur in English.

It's somewhat insulting, depending on who you ask, but most people don't even know it exists so they don't really take offence. That's the typical thing with trying to throw slurs at the for-lack-of-a-better-word privileged, they don't really have the social power to make it threatening, and so people don't really care.

I don't want to say "slur = disparaging nickname + power", but...

also, where's davedan when you need him?

Don't you know I'm like bloody mary? - just say 'Cracker' in the mirror three times and I will appear, drink all your beer and fuck everything with a heartbeat. Also I was watching the rugby.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7314 on: October 20, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »
https://archive.is/GVYoS

...[Barrett's] a walking representation of everything racists like to believe about black people.

Good father, loyal friend, dedicated leader, environmentalist, responsible, successful businessman, savior of the world, etc.  Might as well have escaped from an A. Wyatt Mann cartoon.

Yes, he's foul-mouthed and rude, but Cid, a white character, is worse in both those regards.  Yes, he lives in "the ghetto," but what do you expect in a game so strongly influenced by the cyberpunk genre?  Moreover, he's not actually from the ghetto, he's originally from a rural mining town.

If anything, I'd call him a positive portrayal of blacks, since he doesn't have to "act white" to be taken seriously or achieve success.

Then again, what do I expect from a list that claims you play as "Zelda"?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7315 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:32 pm »
That whole list is fucking moronic. But with a title like "15 Most Offensive Gaming Characters", that's exactly what I expected.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7316 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:23 pm »
The good news is, now I know I never need to care about whatculture.com and their opinions.

(seriously, just look at any article on the site. I don't know what it is about it but it's uniformly terrible)
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #7317 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »
I mean, the "angry destructive criminal black man" thing IS there, but so is a lot of other stuff like his internal conflict between being a father and fighting for his cause. Barret is honestly one of my favourite characters in FFVII.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7318 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
I have to give them Roman Bellic, though.  He was half the reason GTA IV was nigh-on unbearable to play.  That, and the whole ripping out the soul of GTA from the game thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7319 on: October 20, 2015, 08:40:55 pm »
I'M NOT LEAVING HERE WITHOUT ROMAN!