Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551268 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7995 on: December 23, 2015, 07:19:51 pm »
Not saying lesbians can't be creepy, just that the concept of "male gaze" is something that by definition can't apply to women.

Well, I mean, if you're going by original definition it doesn't apply to men either, it applies to film. The male gaze is the idea of a movie being shot  from the perspective of a (presumed heterosexual) man, hence lingering on women's breasts and such.

But the modern SJ use of the term adapts it to imply that there is a particular kind of gaze, predatory or objectifying or whatever, that happens when men (again, presumed straight) look at women. And the idea that this is "the male gaze" and not "the objectifier's gaze" or whatever is kinda toxic because it implies that all men look at women like that, and by splash damage that women who look at other women are doing Something Wrong.

This is not hypothetical, like, I've seen a bunch of discussions of women who say they felt terrible about realising they were attracted to girls because Attraction To Girls Is Predatory. And you get things like the OP, saying that "no, you don't count because you're girls" fighting against that meme, which is kind of dumb because the proper answer should be "no, there is nothing inherently wrong in being attracted to women and looking at them, regardless of your gender".

(and also I hate that sometimes the only way to say "stop shitting on men" to some SJ people is to say "hey you're hurting lesbians/trans women/black people as collateral damage" but that's not a discussion I'm in the mood for right now)
Σא

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7996 on: December 23, 2015, 07:40:50 pm »
The proper term for them is gay.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7997 on: December 23, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »
The proper term for them is gay.

of course, you're thinking of "the gayze", and it's totally flattering for women, duh.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #7998 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:07 am »
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I should've used a term other than "male gaze" because of its specific meaning, and not all male attraction to women is objectifying.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7999 on: December 24, 2015, 10:20:40 pm »
Found this bs:
Of course, if you're attacking Hillary Clinton for saying, "May the Force be with you," you're calling her a fake geek girl. Now, I expect this from the Bernie Bros, but if you're a female Sanders supporter, I have to ask, are you sure that's what you want to do?

How is calling some lame politician's attempt at "being cool" with the young folk, akin to calling her a "fake geek girl"?? She's more of a fake liberal if anything.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:24:21 pm by nickiknack »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8000 on: December 24, 2015, 10:26:58 pm »
Found this bs:
Of course, if you're attacking Hillary Clinton for saying, "May the Force be with you," you're calling her a fake geek girl. Now, I expect this from the Bernie Bros, but if you're a female Sanders supporter, I have to ask, are you sure that's what you want to do?

How is calling some lame politician's attempt at "being cool" with the young folk, akin to calling her a "fake geek girl"?? She's more of a fake liberal if anything.

nicki, she's a politician... "fake" is part of the job description.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8001 on: December 24, 2015, 10:39:17 pm »
It just annoys me because there is this whole "You can't criticize Hillary because she has a vagina" bs going on.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8002 on: December 24, 2015, 11:01:50 pm »
It just annoys me because there is this whole "You can't criticize Hillary because she has a vagina" bs going on.

this is gonna land me in hot water around here, but fuck people's private parts. if a woman is incompetent at a job, then she shouldn't be holding that job in the first place. not saying hillary is (completely) incompetent, but having fun bits is no reason for either holding office or not holding office. the important bit is being competent. and that's why i don't vote, because i don't see that happening anytime soon seeing the current pool. across three countries. fuck it, i'm posting in the confessions thread.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8003 on: December 25, 2015, 12:41:11 am »
Don't see why you're afraid, Gui, you're right.  What people have between their legs doesn't matter.  At least, not to anyone with a brain between their ears.  Whether one is female or not is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is if they can do the job or not.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #8004 on: December 25, 2015, 02:14:31 am »
Found this bs:

You know, this is the second time you brought this up, and I have something to say. As a female Star Wars fan who reads the book and knows her stuff, I think you're being unusually harsh because of political affiliations. What Hillary did was probably a once in a life time political moment in which we got to see a star wars movie release coincide with a political debate in which the closing line of the debate was Star Wars related, on point, hilarious, and got across with the audience. For better or worse, it was the best part of the third debate, as Bernie's "Damn emails" in the first and O'Malley's "Immigrant bashing carnival barker" of the second debate. It humanized Hillary in a real way.

And the other part of it that bothers me is that at least when Hillary made the reference, it was very well played and faithful to the meaning of the phrase "may the force be with you." In contrast, a few months ago, a certain politician made a t-shirt saying "Bernie Sanders, you're our only hope." A clear reference to Obi-Wan being requested in the original Star Wars film. Below the call for Bernie to save us, was Bernie in traditional beige jedi garb. The problem: Bernie was dressed as Luke. That doesn't make sense, if you're referencing Obi-Wan, why make it a totally different person when you could've just presented him as Obi-Wan?

Which bring me to my penultimate point, Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending an overly pragmatic politician, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit Hillary! The defense rests.

And finally, since none of this makes sense, we can only go with the politician that best represents us. The nonsensical politician is none other than Donald Trump. Look at him. He is a reality tv show host from a shitty series that is best known for the fact that he fired Gary Busey and he is the front runner of one of the two parties. It does not makes sense. More so to the point, he is a New England blue blood born with a silver spoon in his ass, and he is literally trying to buy the presidency for self-aggrandizement. And not only is his attempt so obvious, but people support him for at least being so honest as to say in debates that he has bought off Bernie and Hillary, as well as others on the debate stage. Because he can literally run without outside donations, he can literally run and say he is buying it by virtue of rephrasing his attempt as not being bought off. He's the most disgusting person in recent memory, and there is a chance that he might be our next president (and the alternate Ted Cruz is not much better*). It doesn't make sense!

All in all, this doesn't makes sense. Therefore, vote Donald Trump, because we can make America great again.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8005 on: December 25, 2015, 09:09:19 am »
.......Queen for the love of god no.

Ironbite-just no.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #8006 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:18 am »
.......Queen for the love of god no.

Ironbite-just no.

Ibbles, all this negativity. You disappoint the Great Daniel Bryan. If he were here, he'd say, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" :p

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8007 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:11 am »
....*puts Queen in the No Lock*

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #8008 on: December 25, 2015, 01:02:21 pm »
....*puts Queen in the No Lock*

You don't wanna play that game with me. I put Vene in a kneebar. And I punched him in the chest.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8009 on: December 25, 2015, 02:12:10 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I agree that Ted Cruz is a scary guy. It's bad enough that Trump is a neo-fascist bullshitter, but I think a Cruz or Carson presidency would be an even bigger nightmare. They have a religious conviction about the slimy things they say and I suspect, if they decided to follow some batshit doomsday prophecy to the hilt, then no one could reason with them.

People can reason with Trump when his personal fortune is at stake. His numerous declarations of bankruptcy should be evidence enough of that.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.