Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549402 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8490 on: April 12, 2016, 12:55:06 am »
...Sociology is science.  Specifically, its applied psychology on a large scale.

And that's just applied biology, which is applied chemistry, which is applied physics.

Which is applied math.

Which is applied logic.

And Geography is just physics slowed down with trees on top of it.

[Citation Needed]

"The Last continent" by Terry Pratchett.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #8491 on: April 12, 2016, 12:57:01 am »
Extended XKCD reference here. He just drops that all over the pplace in his "what-if" articles. Also, subtle callback to
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8492 on: April 13, 2016, 12:02:46 am »
Math is logic is math is logic is math.

All things are math, but some are mathier than others.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8493 on: April 19, 2016, 11:26:36 pm »

Do white vegans also appropriate meat?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8494 on: April 20, 2016, 12:14:07 am »
Glad to see my ankh ring will offend someone, at least.  Even if its more of an Ultima reference than having any religious significance...  >.>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8495 on: April 20, 2016, 12:20:18 am »
Glad to see my ankh ring will offend someone, at least.  Even if its more of an Ultima reference than having any religious significance...  >.>
...Isn't that actually a case of real cultural appropriation? The game took a piece off a culture/religion and instead of representing it in a realistic way they merely used the aesthetics, reusing a real religious symbol for a fictional religion.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8496 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:05 am »
...Isn't that actually a case of real cultural appropriation? The game took a piece off a culture/religion and instead of representing it in a realistic way they merely used the aesthetics, reusing a real religious symbol for a fictional religion.

Meh, don't really care, to be perfectly honest.  Unless we're talking Native headdresses being used as props or some shit, then I don't view it as a problem.  Besides, the ankh is given a pretty central place in Ultima lore, since its the symbol of the Avatar, basically Britannia's messiah.  All things considered, I think that's a very benign form of appropriation, if anything.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #8497 on: April 20, 2016, 02:16:49 am »
Is it still appropriation when you borrow from a culture that doesn't exist anymore, tho? I mean, I'm pretty sure there aren't many people worshiping Sekmet and Maat and whatnot today.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8498 on: April 20, 2016, 02:38:38 am »
Is it still appropriation when you borrow from a culture that doesn't exist anymore, tho? I mean, I'm pretty sure there aren't many people worshiping Sekmet and Maat and whatnot today.

You may be surprised.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemetic_Orthodoxy

The faith is getting a revival, much like other forms of paganism (look up Asatru and Hellenism for other examples). Granted, by the logic of cultural appropriation, I believe all of these people are probably filthy appropriators as well.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #8499 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:03 am »
They also aren't really a revival so much as they are just making shit up based on what we do know about those beliefs.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8500 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:44 am »
Appropriating our old gods from the God Graveyard, are we?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8501 on: April 20, 2016, 03:25:23 am »
I'm half tempted to cover my entire house in non-Christian religious symbols, just to piss these people off. Oh, and throw in some Native American headdresses too, just because those seem to offend pretty much everyone for some reason.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8502 on: April 20, 2016, 10:18:03 am »
Well you're white so that pretty much offends everybody already.

Ironbite-might as well go for the high score.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8503 on: April 20, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »
There was a post I saw from an actual Egyptian about "appropriating ancient Egyptian culture", and they pointed out how Egypt profits heavily on the tourism industry, and that selling these symbols as aesthetic commodities for foreigners encourages foreigners to spend money on Egypt.  They said what Egyptians actually care about is other countries taking authentic artifacts and not returning them to Egypt, since, while no longer part of their culture, it is part of their history.

It seems to me that when it comes to cultural appropriation, there's a huge divide between those who grew up and are living in the West and those who live in the country of origin.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8504 on: April 20, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »