Rubbish > Preaching and Worship

A spiritual crisis

(1/8) > >>

Jacob Harrison:
Yesterday I tried converting a college friend to Catholicism by telling him that I made a post on the internet about evidence for the plagues of Egypt and the Exodus. He then immediately showed me the Wikipedia article for the Exodus. This is what it says.

--- Quote ---According to Exodus 12:37–38, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children", plus many non-Israelites and livestock. Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550 men aged 20 and up. It is difficult to reconcile the idea of 600,000 Israelite fighting men with the information that the Israelites were afraid of the Philistines and Egyptians.[43] The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some two million people.[44] Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a column 240 km long.[45] The entire Egyptian population in 1250 BCE is estimated to have been around three to 3.5 million,[46][44] and no evidence has been found that Egypt ever suffered the demographic and economic catastrophe such a loss of population would represent, nor that the Sinai desert ever hosted (or could have hosted) these millions of people and their herds.[47] Some have rationalised the numbers into smaller figures, for example reading the Hebrew as "600 families" rather than 600,000 men, but all such solutions have their own set of problems.

--- End quote ---
Because of that I am in a spiritual crisis because my friend proved that the Bible is not inerrant. At least God and the Bible are real in the parallel universe where Parallel Hero takes place and where my parallel self is Arch Cleric of the Europan Kingdom. Now I am not sure if God and the Bible are real in this one due to the error in the Bible.

Tolpuddle Martyr:
Just focus on the bits which line up with what you already think and ignore the rest.

Source: Every other religious person ever.

Jacob Harrison:

--- Quote from: Tolpuddle Martyr on October 20, 2018, 08:38:15 pm ---Just focus on the bits which line up with what you already think and ignore the rest.

--- End quote ---

But doing that would be willful ignorance.

Tolpuddle Martyr:

--- Quote from: Jacob Harrison on October 20, 2018, 08:56:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: Tolpuddle Martyr on October 20, 2018, 08:38:15 pm ---Just focus on the bits which line up with what you already think and ignore the rest.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Then for you, it should be a breeze!

Jacob Harrison:

--- Quote from: Tolpuddle Martyr on October 20, 2018, 08:58:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jacob Harrison on October 20, 2018, 08:56:45 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Then for you, it should be a breeze!

--- End quote ---
It won’t because I always like pursuing knowledge. I thought that the evidence was in favor of Christianity. Since you were raised Catholic, did you have a spiritual crisis like mine?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version