Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1598681 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #450 on: March 14, 2012, 08:42:27 pm »
Meanwhile, I posit that both are actually correct, as the ideologies they feared aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Same here. I think Fareheit 451 actually has a nice blend on the concepts, even if it hits you a bit more heavily with the “Censorship!” end of the stick. Maybe Bradbury was closest of all?

*coughs* "Bradbury has stated that the novel is not about censorship, but a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature, which leads to a perception of knowledge as being composed of factoids, partial information devoid of context."

Though I do agree it's a good blend all things considered.

What Bradbury intended and what people get out of it are often different things. As it is, although Montag’s wife helps exemplify this “TV is evil” thing, the vast amount of attention paid to the Censorship issue tends to make it much clearer and more memorable. Hell, the “TV is Evil” aspect didn’t even feature much in Beatty’s “history lesson,” instead focusing on a bit of “Political Correctness Gone Mad.” If Bradbury truly intended Farenheit 451’s primary theme to be anti-television, he failed.

Never said they were the same. I'm only saying it wasn't intended to be about censorship. People read it that way. And even his own publisher spread the idea it was about censorship. I was just pointing out it wasn't according to the Voice of God.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »
Never said they were the same. I'm only saying it wasn't intended to be about censorship. People read it that way. And even his own publisher spread the idea it was about censorship. I was just pointing out it wasn't according to the Voice of God.

Well, I do not put a lot of stock into “Death of the Author,” but it does have a certain range of applicability. While the author’s interpretation of a work is usually “more correct” it does not invalidate the correctness of what other people get in it. But the fact that it is easier to get a different message than what was supposedly intended in this case may give Death of the Author just a bit more pull.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:51:07 pm by N. De Plume »
-A Pen Name

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #452 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »

Well, I do not put a lot of stock into “Death of the Author,” but it does have a certain range of applicability. While the author’s interpretation of a work is usually “more correct” it does not invalidate the correctness of what other people get in it. But the fact that it is easier to get a different message than what was supposedly intended in this case may give Death of the Author just a bit more pull.
See as most critics including sparknotes say censorship

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #453 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »
As near as I can tell the “It’s about television” comment was relatively recent, too. And memory is pretty damn fickle after half a century. It’s likely that an older, even grumpier Bradbury is looking at it through a distorted lens.
-A Pen Name

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #454 on: March 14, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »
As near as I can tell the “It’s about television” comment was relatively recent, too. And memory is pretty damn fickle after half a century. It’s likely that an older, even grumpier Bradbury is looking at it through a distorted lens.
Probably as that interpretation makes less sense with the internet becoming a giant fact checker

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #455 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:37 am »
Meanwhile, I posit that both are actually correct, as the ideologies they feared aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Same here. I think Fareheit 451 actually has a nice blend on the concepts, even if it hits you a bit more heavily with the “Censorship!” end of the stick. Maybe Bradbury was closest of all?

It wasn't about censorship, it was about how television and mass media is ruining literature forever. He falls more on the "Huxley" side.

He also doesn't own a computer and thinks the internet is a scam.

To be fair he did finally release Fahrenheit 451 onto e-book format. It's odd that he wouldn't since it would be read which is the opposite of the fear he has.

Because you're not really reading it.  I mean, it's not a real book, unless it's made from a dead tree.

Bradbury's a good author, but he does have a bit of a Luddite streak.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:27:18 am by Jack Mann »
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline zupper

• Pope
« Reply #456 on: March 15, 2012, 04:36:20 am »

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:29 am »
Fahrenheit 451: I'm not buying the "it's about television" intepretation, not least because said interpretation came about long after the "it's about censorship" one had been freely allowed to flourish, and after, apparently, Bradbury wrote an introduction agreeing with the idea. I can't help but feel that the newer interpretation is Bradbury wanting to have a rant about modern media and linking it to his book in order to get headlines. What's annoying is, Bradbury's a writer. He could write another fucking book that is about television, and have publishers bill it as the spiritual sequel to F451, but as far as I'm aware, this hasn't happened.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
Fahrenheit 451: I'm not buying the "it's about television" intepretation, not least because said interpretation came about long after the "it's about censorship" one had been freely allowed to flourish, and after, apparently, Bradbury wrote an introduction agreeing with the idea. I can't help but feel that the newer interpretation is Bradbury wanting to have a rant about modern media and linking it to his book in order to get headlines. What's annoying is, Bradbury's a writer. He could write another fucking book that is about television, and have publishers bill it as the spiritual sequel to F451, but as far as I'm aware, this hasn't happened.
I guess this is why the "it's not about censorship" claim is odd. I have an edition of 451 where in his introduction he writes about the horrors of censorship, the irony of his book being banned, how he emphasized censorship in his re-write for the stage version... He talks about censorship non-stop.

I've read his only authorized biography as well, where they talk about 451 being about censorship.

I don't know when he changed his mind about his own work, but regardless of what Bradbury says and does, and regardless of his intent, I enjoy his books all the same.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:08 pm »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #460 on: March 15, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »
Re: Fahrenheit 451- Fair enough, fair enough.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Distind

« Reply #461 on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
*coughs* "Bradbury has stated that the novel is not about censorship, but a story about how television destroys interest in reading literature, which leads to a perception of knowledge as being composed of factoids, partial information devoid of context."

None of which covers the active destruction of books, the social disintegration or the stunningly self destructive behavior repeatedly demonstrated. It's exaggerated social commentary, hitting a number of topics and assigning it a single meaning is rather insulting to the material. And unlike a lot of other similar books, it's actually an interesting read.

Edit: Douple plus bonus, I'd never have given a squat about Bradbury's writing without having watched Ray Bradbury Theater as a kid. Make of that what you will.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:24:51 pm by Distind »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #462 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »

Anyone else take this into Photoshop just to see if they could run the maze?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #463 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »
I just did it with my cursor, it wasn't too hard. :)
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #464 on: March 15, 2012, 03:56:56 pm »

None of which covers the active destruction of books, the social disintegration or the stunningly self destructive behavior repeatedly demonstrated. It's exaggerated social commentary, hitting a number of topics and assigning it a single meaning is rather insulting to the material. And unlike a lot of other similar books, it's actually an interesting read.

Edit: Douple plus bonus, I'd never have given a squat about Bradbury's writing without having watched Ray Bradbury Theater as a kid. Make of that what you will.

Complain to Bradbury not to me. I'm not the one who said it.

&