Author Topic: Abortion and Welfare  (Read 2110 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Abortion and Welfare
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:46 pm »
Was looking up if there was any relation between the two, but googling gets me Pro-Life sites saying increasing welfare doesn't decrease the number of abortions take. Just wondering if anyone else here has better information on this.

Also stumbled on a comment on a right-leaning Facebook page on the topic of abortion.

X: How many unaborted babies can your wallet afford? I'm sick of hand outs! My parents struggled, they had 1 child, no cable TV, no food stamps, no welfare....And even when they had no job they never collected unemployment! I save my money for myself and my family.... no for hand outs! My wallet is not for anyone's poor decisions!

Y: X, I think it is probably best to agree to disagree at this point.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: Abortion and Welfare
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »
I really, really hate it when people call an abortion a "poor decision". To anyone who thinks this way, fuck you, you fucking cunt-curtain.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:15:06 pm »
I think the poor decision is about having an unplanned child, not the abortion.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »

Yes. Besides, almost every by the time they're getting almost entirely blood vacuumed from their vaginas, they've already made their mind anyway.

I also think, and many more will agree, that they should also not be shamed for that decision. So, once again, anyone who does, you're a tool and fuck you.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »

People typically don't decide to have unplanned kids, either. Sure, you can say that some people make the poor decision of not using birth control, but that hardly covers every abortion.
Σא

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:51 am »
Birth control is a sin though :D
Alsocan someone compare abortion rates between red and blue states cause red is higher

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:48:03 am »

X: How many unaborted babies can your wallet afford? I'm sick of hand outs! My parents struggled, they had 1 child, no cable TV, no food stamps, no welfare....And even when they had no job they never collected unemployment! I save my money for myself and my family.... no for hand outs! My wallet is not for anyone's poor decisions!

Y: X, I think it is probably best to agree to disagree at this point.

I'm sick of people referring to public assistance as "hand outs." That's an idiotic straw man and you're a fucking idiot if you use it. Refusing to go on government assistance when you have no job does NOT make you more noble than a person who does no matter what some intellectually bankrupt right-wing web rag tells you.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:52:49 am »
Hey. You. Yeah, you. X.

YOU'RE A CUNT.
Just because your parents "struggled" (you're listing "no cable TV" as struggling? Bwahaha go fuck yourself), that does not mean that every person/couple who finds themselves faced with an unplanned pregnancy can/should do what your parents did. In fact, I'm going to take a potshot at you and say your parents shouldn't have done what they did.
On topic and with less cussing, I've noticed a shocking trend: the states that are most vocal in their opposition of abortion and social welfare programs tend to be the ones where abortion rates/percentage of people on welfare are highest. They also tend to favor abstinence-only sex ed, which I see as a (but not the) common denominator.

(Edited because I hit post instead of preview the first time.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:06:55 am by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:21 am »
Hey. You. Yeah, you. X.

YOU'RE A CUNT.

People like guy make me facepalm. They're unpleasant, self-righteous, and completely lacking in common sense. Being on unemployment does NOT make you a "lazy freeloader," especially if you're living in a region where jobs aren't exactly widespread!

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:38:02 am »
It's assumed, though.

Because it's easier to assume, than to think.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:57:18 am »
"No cable TV" is a struggle?  This is one of the few times where the following is actually fair to use: check your fucking privilege.

My older brother wasn't planned; and my mother WAS on birth control at the time.  Abortion is a pretty strong trigger for my mother, and thus really isn't much of an option for her.  So, my brother was born.  Born to a pair of parents to whom $40 was a lot of money.  To parents that were having to survive off fucking BLACKBERRIES THEY FOUND ON A BUSH outside my maternal grandfather's house.  They were denied food stamps and welfare because "they made too much money."  My grandmother didn't lift a finger to help them, neither did my grandfather.  Nobody was there to save them, nobody was there to fucking help them, and they survived.

I was actually wanted, planned for, but even I was still born to a family that was under constant threat of homelessness and hunger.  Those two threats, by the way, were only removed in the past few months.  I've lived with that fear my whole god damned life.  I knew nobody that could help us would.  My grandmother held no love for us, and my grandfather considers us vultures.  Other family members, the ones that aren't complete pieces of shit, would help where they could, of course, but their means are very limited.

So, the next time you think you've got it hard because you can't watch Cartoon Network or AMC, remember the story of my fucking family.  Remember my poor mother.  Then, shut your whiny cunthole of a mouth before I fucking stab it shut with skewers.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »
Great as these stories are, I don't feel my question has been sufficiently answered.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »
Wasn't there a study not too long ago that found that women who are denied abortion are more likely to end up on welfare?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »
Wasn't there a study not too long ago that found that women who are denied abortion are more likely to end up on welfare?
As I said earlier, googling about that gives the opposite results from pro-life sites.

Which reminds me, during my searching, I found there were some contention between the Tea Party and Pro-Life groups since the former believes unaborted babies mean more welfare they have to pay, as you can see from the quote I posted.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »
"No cable TV" is a struggle?  This is one of the few times where the following is actually fair to use: check your fucking privilege.

My older brother wasn't planned; and my mother WAS on birth control at the time.  Abortion is a pretty strong trigger for my mother, and thus really isn't much of an option for her.  So, my brother was born.  Born to a pair of parents to whom $40 was a lot of money.  To parents that were having to survive off fucking BLACKBERRIES THEY FOUND ON A BUSH outside my maternal grandfather's house.  They were denied food stamps and welfare because "they made too much money."  My grandmother didn't lift a finger to help them, neither did my grandfather.  Nobody was there to save them, nobody was there to fucking help them, and they survived.

I was actually wanted, planned for, but even I was still born to a family that was under constant threat of homelessness and hunger.  Those two threats, by the way, were only removed in the past few months.  I've lived with that fear my whole god damned life.  I knew nobody that could help us would.  My grandmother held no love for us, and my grandfather considers us vultures.  Other family members, the ones that aren't complete pieces of shit, would help where they could, of course, but their means are very limited.

So, the next time you think you've got it hard because you can't watch Cartoon Network or AMC, remember the story of my fucking family.  Remember my poor mother.  Then, shut your whiny cunthole of a mouth before I fucking stab it shut with skewers.
~glomps you~ So sorry to hear that.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.