Author Topic: New discrete Fourier transform algorithm  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
New discrete Fourier transform algorithm
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
Nearly Optimal Sparse Fourier Transform (abstract)

Apparently this new algorithm works in O(n log n) time for "sparse" data sets, compared to the same result in optimal cases for the Fast Fourier Transform.

The existence of DFT algorithms faster than FFT is one of the central questions in the theory of algorithms.

A general algorithm for computing the exact DFT must take time at least proportional to its output size, i.e., Ω(n)....For sparse signals, the Ω(n) lower bound for the complexity of DFT no longer applies. If a signal has a small number k of non-zero Fourier coefficients – the exactly k-sparse case – the output of the Fourier transform can be represented succinctly using only k coefficients....The key property of both algorithms is their ability to achieve o(n log n) time, and thus improve over the FFT, for any k = o(n). These algorithms are the first known algorithms that satisfy this property.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: New discrete Fourier transform algorithm
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:38:51 am »
*gets a mathboner*
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.