Author Topic: Good artists, bad people  (Read 16853 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Good artists, bad people
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:58 am »
This is a thread for discussing artists who have made great contributions, but were terrible people.

I think a good example would be Axl Rose.  He's a phenomenal musician, but also a massive prick.  I know he had a rough childhood, but so did Eminem, and for all the latter's controversy, he's nowhere near as much of a jerk as the former.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Good artists, bad people
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:39 am »
I don't think a thread like this would be complete without mention of Wagner.  Amazing composer, horrible human being.

You could probably add just about every single famous rock muscian to the list too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:14:40 am by Katsuro »

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:21:55 am »
Adolf Hitler was among the first to come to my mind.  I like a lot of his art.  It was dismissed in his time as being mediocre, but he did have an eye for detail and texture in a lot of his stuff.  I can relate because I strive for the same in the pictures I draw.  All he needed was some encouragement and honing and people could have been praising him today as a great artist instead of condemning him as the megalomaniacal madman he became.  I really wonder if that would have made any difference, though.  I don't know... that's a topic for a different thread entirely.

Anyway, it's weird how things work out the way they do, as well as extremely sad at times. 

...Unless the term "artists" only meant musical artists.  If so, forget I said anything here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:06:33 pm by The Doctor »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:59 am »
Don't worry, it's not just musicians.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:42:34 pm »
Do animators count too?

Anyway, first, we have Doug TenNapel, artist. He worked for a lot of cool stuff, like Earthworm Jim, G.E.A.R. (which I'm yet to have read, if I could only get a hold of it), and MDK, but he is also a fundamentalist Christian. They're always bad people.

And for animators, John Kricfalusi, most famous for the Ren & Stimpy Show. Although he's more so an opinionated asshole than a straight-up asshole, he frequently missed deadlines and got the boot from Nickelodeon. Of course, the later episodes (without his involvement) were finished and produced by Games Animations (and the quality of the show also started falling from there). The less we talk about the abysmal Adult Party episodes, the better.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »
Well, going through the worst political cartoons, there's the one crazy conspiracy guy who draws lizard jews, and another guy who makes nationalistic paintings stating liberals and Obama are evil and possessed by satan.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »
I can think of a few furry artists I could name, but in a few instances their "bad people" has led to them becoming "bad artists" through arrogance regarding their art style leading to making mistakes more pronounced.

But then I'm blatantly biased against them.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »
Well, going through the worst political cartoons, there's the one crazy conspiracy guy who draws lizard jews, and another guy who makes nationalistic paintings stating liberals and Obama are evil and possessed by satan.
DavidDees

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 03:54:45 pm »
DavidDees

David Dees is indeed the the guy who does the former. I think the latter guy is Jon McNaughton. Both are good artists but both are wingnuts who create wingnutty things. Shame that they use their talent to make insanity.

DAVID DEES....

Strangely enough, Dees is an equal-opportunity hater. He's not too fond of Bush & Co. either....

JON McNAUGHTON....

Technically & artistically talented & creative....but subject matter is disturbingly insane!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:50:01 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 04:43:53 pm »
Dave Mustaine, anyone?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:03 pm »
There was a cartoonist named Dick Hafer who did an anti-LGBT comic called,  Homosexuality: Legitimate Alternate Deathstyle. and a bunch of other weird frummy political wingnut stuff.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dick_Hafer

The weird thing is, as a cartoonist, from a technical standpoint, the way he draws stuff is actually quite hilarious....if you overlook the horrifying subject matter & disgusting stuff he says.

This comic says some of the sickest lies against LGBTs but the artwork style is surprisingly goofy & amusing:

http://www.ep.tc/problems/28/

But make no mistake, he's pure evil.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 05:26:17 pm »
I can think of a few furry artists I could name, but in a few instances their "bad people" has led to them becoming "bad artists" through arrogance regarding their art style leading to making mistakes more pronounced.

But then I'm blatantly biased against them.

Jay Naylor comes to mind... Objectivist fuck...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 07:13:39 pm »
Adolph Hitler was among the first to come to my mind.  I like a lot of his art.  It was dismissed in his time as being mediocre, but he did have an eye for detail and texture in a lot of his stuff.  I can relate because I strive for the same in the pictures I draw.  All he needed was some encouragement and honing and people could have been praising him today as a great artist instead of condemning him as the megalomaniacal madman he became.  I really wonder if that would have made any difference, though.  I don't know... that's a topic for a different thread entirely.

Anyway, it's weird how things work out the way they do, as well as extremely sad at times. 

...Unless the term "artists" only meant musical artists.  If so, forget I said anything here.
There is a novel about that very thing, exploring the two lives of Adolf Hitler (the one he actually lived, and the one he could have lived had he been accepted in the Art School that rejected him before WWI). It's called La Part de L'Autre by french autor Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. It's incredibly poignant and well written. I wonder if it was ever translated in english though.

Edit : apparently not. Though it was translated in german.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »
Orson Scott Card. Homophobic asshole, but I still like his books.
Σא

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
Ayn Rand was quite the jackhole, but I still enjoyed Anthem. It's a nice little story if you don't read much into the politics.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades