Author Topic: Religiosity on the decline  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Religiosity on the decline
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:28 am »
I know some of you don't like the Huffington Post, but still thought you might find this interesting.  I know the results of the poll took me by surprise, especially the US numbers.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: Religiosity on the decline
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »
This kind of confuses me with the news about belief in evolution also declining or something. Of course, they're mutually exclusive, but still.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:08 am »
The wording in the poll is stupid.
“Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?”
Someone doesn't have to be convinced of anything to be an atheist. We only need to be unconvinced of other people's god claims. Further, it sounds like "not a religious person" and "convinced atheist" were two separate options, but by definition, an atheist is someone who isn't religious.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:22 am »
Confusion with agnostic?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:46:16 am »
The wording in the poll is stupid.
“Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?”
Someone doesn't have to be convinced of anything to be an atheist. We only need to be unconvinced of other people's god claims. Further, it sounds like "not a religious person" and "convinced atheist" were two separate options, but by definition, an atheist is someone who isn't religious.

Actually, having "not a religious person" and atheist as separate options makes sense to me because:

1: Organised religion vs personal faith

2: Some people just are "more religious" than others. For some people their religion affects their daily life and long term choices much more than others, some people actively go to church/temple/mosque/whatever for religious ceremonies while others do not while still believing in whatever faith they are in. (It has been a year since the last time I went to a church -and even that was for a wedding- but I still consider myself to be a christian.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »
I think there is a difference between "not religious" and atheist. I've encountered tons of folks who say they're not religious, but that often translates to "I don't attend church regularly or have any religious practices at home." Atheist seems to take the extra step and say "I've given this a fair amount of thought, and I've decided that I don't believe in any deities."
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:16:06 am »
Don't forget that a lot of the "not religious" responses may actually be from fundies who spout the "Christianity is not a religion; it's a relationship with God" meme.