Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518938 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3600 on: October 25, 2013, 06:37:19 am »
With that said, it's like arguing if Super Saiyan Goku can beat Superman. Any given Sunday plays into it more than you might think.

Screw Attack did a pretty good Death Battle with it, and I do happen to find myself in agreement with their assessment.  Though, with the recent addition of Super Saiyan God Goku, I do wonder if a rematch is in order...

Superman would likely still kick fifty shades of shit out of Goku before he was even close to finished floating in one spot and screaming.

So what do you actually know (and I mean know) about Super Saiyan God Goku? >_>

Well, granted, maybe he doesn't scream quite as much as all the other Gokus, but I can't imagine the writers would take the show in such a new and revolutionary direction. It just wouldn't be Dragon Ball Z if it weren't 90% floating in the air and screaming.

So basically you don't know anything :P

I've sat through enough to get the jist of it. Yes, I know you're thinking that I should watch the entire series and study Goku's abilities in great detail first. After all, comparing different fictional characters is the most serious of business. However, I feel that my time is better spent on other pursuits.

For one thing, Super Saiyan God Goku isn't from the series, he's actually from a movie that was just recently released in Japan.

Also, his transformation involves ... no screaming whatsoever.  It takes like, 30 seconds proper.

And it's the most understated appearance for being the most powerful, too.

In short, it's pretty much the opposite of whatever you thought it was going to be :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3601 on: October 25, 2013, 06:55:44 am »
For one thing, Super Saiyan God Goku isn't from the series, he's actually from a movie that was just recently released in Japan.

Also, his transformation involves ... no screaming whatsoever.  It takes like, 30 seconds proper.

In short, it's pretty much the opposite of whatever you thought it was going to be :P

Impossible. Clearly it's simply a bad dub or some such. There is simply no way there isn't at least 40 minutes of floating and screaming involved. The whole show is based around floating and screaming. Without the screaming or even the floating, the only thing left are the hurling of big glowy yellow balls at each other, which I'm sure we can agree is not nearly enough to carry the franchise on its own. It'd be like Ash Ketchum fighting his Pokemans without turning his hat backwards. It simply cannot happen in any sane and just society.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3602 on: October 25, 2013, 07:04:57 am »

Impossible. Clearly it's simply a bad dub or some such. There is simply no way there isn't at least 40 minutes of floating and screaming involved. The whole show is based around floating and screaming. Without the screaming or even the floating, the only thing left are the hurling of big glowy yellow balls at each other, which I'm sure we can agree is not nearly enough to carry the franchise on its own. It'd be like Ash Ketchum fighting his Pokemans without turning his hat backwards. It simply cannot happen in any sane and just society.

Wow, you laid the sarcastic humor on so thick that I can actually SEE it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3603 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:58 am »

I feel this has been a valuable expenditure of my time.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3604 on: October 25, 2013, 07:28:05 am »

I feel this has been a valuable expenditure of my time.

Can't tell if sarcastic.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3605 on: October 25, 2013, 08:21:53 am »
Let's settle on sardonic.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3606 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35:56 am »
That's okay, Biotic Shepard has other tricks up her sleeve.

...Let's not even get into Engineer Shepard.  Engi!Shepard is strong against shields.  99% of Master Chief's health is shield.  Without it, he's a one-hit wonder.

Well, the kinetic barriers in ME and the energy shields in Halo don't necessarily operate on the same principals. Something that weakens or drops a barrier that uses tiny mass effect fields won't necessarily work on something that uses a magnetically-contained plasma field.

Also, the Chief is still completely covered in half a ton of power armor that even armors the black bodysuit underneath. At a minimum, he's going to be just as strong without his shields as Shepard would be. If Shepard forgets to wear his/her helmet in a combat zone (a distressingly common occurrence in some games), the Chief is even more protected.

Depends on if Shepard is a vanguard or an adept or a sentinel, tbh. If she's a sentinel then Chief is in trouble and if she's a vanguard Chief will never see her coming because she can basically teleport using Charge.

And that'll do.....what? The Chief has enough armor and physical augmentation to survive a 2 kilometer fall under Earth's gravity. Getting hit by a Charge will send him flying due to the mass negation, but it'll probably do little more than bruise and disorient him from the flip. Assuming he even goes flying that hard, since we never really see Shepard punching 1000 pound enemies and there has to be an upper limit to how much mass the power can negate.

The only reliable way to take down a SPARTAN-II in full MJOLNIR armor is to use powerful weaponry. The only way for Shepard to win would be to bring an overwhelming amount of firepower that can destroy the shield and armor. Of course, Shepard doesn't get to bring his/her biggest guns unless the Chief can bring HIS biggest guns. Such as a Spartan Laser that would likely go straight through Shepard (kinetic barriers don't do squat against focused light).

So what you're saying is you've never played a fully kitted out Vanguard Shepard right?

Regardless it is still an any given Sunday scenario. Unless it's someone who is entirely ordinary against someone with training, you're going to find yourself debating until you're blue in the face and you'd have to decide on surroundings as well as anything else.

Hell, you could even be an immense asshole and say Vanguard Control Ending Shepard against Master Chief and tbh I'm not sure I like those odds based on what Control actually is. Especially with the fact that apparently Control Ending Shepard is basically in Reaper form.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:39:56 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3607 on: October 25, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »

If it helps any, this is Super Saiyan God Goku.

(click to show/hide)

Basically, it takes 6 good-hearted Saiyans pouring their power into another to make a Super Saiyan God.  Its also been implied that we'll also see a Super Saiyan God Vegeta, which leads me to believe that we'll be seeing a Super Saiyan God Gogeta before all this God of Destruction business is over and done with.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3608 on: October 25, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »
What's funny is the fact that DBZ Kai takes out most of the screaming and everything else people associate with DBZ. And to begin with, later on in the series it only took a single thought to go SSJ.

Almost makes me want to go back to RPing DBZ again but eh.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3609 on: October 25, 2013, 04:00:51 pm »
And yet people hate Kai because it's "aimed at kids".

...The original DBZ was, too, even the Japanese version.  I don't get people.

That being said, watching Kai is really entertaining - it's more or less better than the original in every way (even keeping Goku truer to his character - instead of giving Vegeta another chance because "lolmercy", he did it because he wanted to fight him again - Goku's supposed to be a fighter who loves fighting, not a pastor.)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3610 on: October 25, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »
Most anime that makes it to our shores is aimed at kids and teenagers. lol

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3611 on: October 25, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »
I think it's because the Japanese version of Kai censored some stuff out.  Such as Goku's gaping chest wound in the first few episodes.

That's mostly due to the Japanese entertainment standards cracking down on the amount of violence they'll show kids.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3612 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
And yet in Wizard, you had Ghouls and Gremlin legit murdering people left and right trying to find gates to power up the Philo Stone in his chest.  Fancy that.

Also Batman Origins dropped today and apparently the boss fights are more of the Mr. Freeze variety then just punch the idiot in the fact a couple dozen times.

Ironbite-I kinda wanna get it now.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3613 on: October 25, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »
Perhaps I should've said "gore" instead of "violence".

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3614 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:03 pm »
I've heard really mixed things about origins like the metacritc score is a 78 compared to 94 of city