Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518216 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3765 on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:08 am »
I can't really bring myself to heckle Mordin for his work on the genophage, though, in part because I watched his sacrifice on Tuchanka in 3. The first time around, his "it was necessary/for the greater good" rhetoric seemed like blame shifting or even victim blaming (depending on whether you see the krogan as instigators or, y'know, victims).

As the biggest fanboy of the krogan... can't it be both?  Yeah, they were the instigators, but they were also the victims (genocide is not an appropriate response, after all).

Considering Mordin's actions and behavior in Mass Effect 3, I think it's safe to say that his "It was necessary" and "It was for the greater good" speeches were a mantra to try to get past his guilt... and it didn't work.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3766 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:17 am »
As it turns out, the original Myst is really goddamn hard. Not nearly as hard as Riven, mind you, but it's still really goddamn cryptic. Several hours in and I've still yet to figure out how to access even one linking book out of the starting area.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3767 on: November 30, 2013, 04:39:17 am »
The fact that he said it was his mistake is a key part of it. He will always insist it was the right course of action at the time. But now it has come time for things to change. Hence why he works on the cure and helps save Bakara/Eve.

Also...

It might

be possible

I can't be anything

But Renegon

I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that Renegon feels so natural to me. And being mostly paragon is weird.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3768 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:07 am »
Yeah, speaking of Renegon...

My own "Renegade with a Heart of Gold" Engineer Shep is having a hard time on Feros.  Not because of dying (...okay, there's dying) but because the game does not let you take a middle ground with the colonists.  This is also where metagame clashes with roleplay hardcore.

See... I want renegade points.  But at the same time, this is a moral event horizon.  So my original plan was for this to be Shepard's greatest mistake, where he let his pursuit of Saren blind him so badly that he lost sight of what was important... and that it would burden him forever.

To prevent it from being total, though, I saved three colonists.  I go through the arduous fight with the Thorian, finish it up, and...

No points.  Not even a few Paragon points.  Not even any Renegade points.  None.  The game just punished me for not dedicating myself fully to one path or another.

This defeats the purpose of everything, so... uh... yeah.  I'm gonna have to go back and fight the Thorian all over again.

In so far as Paragon points go, this would really unbalance me if I just suddenly got a ton of those.  So... urgh.

This sucks.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3769 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:18 am »
It should be 2 renegade points for each colonist killed, 2 paragon for each saved. With a possible max of 32 each. Feros itself is something where Shane was definitely more paragon and saved what she could. Especially after finding out about Akuze.

Renegade does not mean being a straight up cold blooded murderer. Depending on how you look at it, considering what we know of the colony in 2 and 3, perhaps killing the colonists would have been a good thing to save them from further horrors. But that's neither here nor there.

A Renegade is a hardass who will shoot first if given the chance. The fandom's desire to label renegade as murderous evil psychopath is a point of frustration for me. Because logically the opposite of that would be a sugary sweet never hurt anyone paragon, yeah? Yes, some renegades can be psychopathic murderers. But that isn't the hard and fast rule.

My Shepard struggles daily with the blood lust that has tainted her face and body. But that doesn't make her a straight up murderer of everyone in her path. She cured the genophage, she saved the Council. She did what she could. She's just rough around the edges and is an impatient little bitch.

But Feros itself doesn't affect a lot. It's more of a personal decision to do so and so thing because it doesn't affect a lot like saving the council does. In fact, Feros itself at the end of it actually gives fewer Renegade points than it does Paragon. It's very much possible to break even in both. If it isn't giving you the correct number it is glitching on you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:34:19 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3770 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:18 am »
Using the keyboard isnt that for dark souls.

Not sure what the screaming is about
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3771 on: November 30, 2013, 09:45:47 pm »
As it turns out, the original Myst is really goddamn hard. Not nearly as hard as Riven, mind you, but it's still really goddamn cryptic. Several hours in and I've still yet to figure out how to access even one linking book out of the starting area.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.
I had an old strategy guide that was written like a novel
anyways I beat infinite

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3772 on: November 30, 2013, 11:59:16 pm »
Does anyone else think Miranda Lawson's face is just a little... Off? I mean, she's pretty, but there's something a little weird about her facial expressions (moreso than everyone's facial expressions are weird in an uncanny-valley sort of way.)
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3773 on: December 01, 2013, 12:34:06 am »
probably the weird way they made her perfect

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3774 on: December 01, 2013, 01:05:01 am »
Does anyone else think Miranda Lawson's face is just a little... Off? I mean, she's pretty, but there's something a little weird about her facial expressions (moreso than everyone's facial expressions are weird in an uncanny-valley sort of way.)

I think it's the face capturing technology, it makes her look... unreal when compared to everyone else.

Which may have been an intended effect considering that she's basically the human equivalent of Grunt.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3775 on: December 01, 2013, 01:18:10 am »
...it makes her look... unreal when compared to everyone else.

Which may have been an intended effect considering that she's basically the human equivalent of Grunt.
o.o
O.O

HEADCANON ACCEPTED
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3776 on: December 01, 2013, 02:08:25 am »
I can't really bring myself to heckle Mordin for his work on the genophage, though, in part because I watched his sacrifice on Tuchanka in 3. The first time around, his "it was necessary/for the greater good" rhetoric seemed like blame shifting or even victim blaming (depending on whether you see the krogan as instigators or, y'know, victims).

As the biggest fanboy of the krogan... can't it be both?  Yeah, they were the instigators, but they were also the victims (genocide is not an appropriate response, after all).

Considering Mordin's actions and behavior in Mass Effect 3, I think it's safe to say that his "It was necessary" and "It was for the greater good" speeches were a mantra to try to get past his guilt... and it didn't work.

Actually I've read some pretty good theories about that and judging from the alternate endings, unless two particular Krogan are alive at the end they go right back to being the invading barbarian horde. Can two people change an entire species?

...And does that mean that the change is permanent? Would the Krogans go back to their destructive (for themselves and everyone around them) ways as soon as those two people are dead (wether from natural causes or killed by the bloodthirsty Krogans who wish to end the peace so that they take over and go back to being "real Krogans.")

Or does it mean that there could be other more peaceful Krogans like them if only they would have a chance to get in positions of power? I think that choice is pretty vague on purpose. It's not like the Salarians are much better allies, what with their constant treachery and scheming they do with everyone which does backfire quite often.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT TO ADD:
And yeah, Miranda was built as the "perfect human" or at least "perfect according to the specifications" of her "father." Grunt was built to be the "perfect Krogan." Clearly they had different definition of "perfect" but they are of different species as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:13:03 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3777 on: December 01, 2013, 02:19:10 am »
I take back what I said about Myst. The puzzles aren't that hard once you find that crucial button that you've previously been overlooking. Figured out how to unlock linking books and since then have been finding things rather easy.

I must say, I quite like the way the story is told. You first read about how the various ages used to be, then you actually go there and figure out what exactly happened to them since then just from the scenery. No dialogue, additional journals, cutscenes or any of the more usual ways video game stories are told, just try to piece it all together based on what you see. You rarely ever see that sort of thing in games.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3778 on: December 01, 2013, 02:55:47 am »
Okay, this might sound a bit "Duh?" but...

Are there any MMORPGs that are good for socializing?

It just seems lately that people in MMOs are concerned more about power-gaming and min-maxing their gear and characters, to the point where people are forced to adopt this mindset just to catch up with other people.

I just want an MMORPG where I can actually socialize naturally instead of having to hop in a party, rush through the quest, wham bam thank you ma'am.

Though I do want it to be an actual game, not just a life simulator.

I guess I'm asking for an oxymoron, huh?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3779 on: December 01, 2013, 03:03:29 am »
You can socialize in practically any MMO, you just have to know where. In most games, its all about finding a guild that doesn't take things too seriously and is willing to socialize.
Who needs a signature?