Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515588 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4785 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
Not even Klaus 'Kraut' Krause could save half my squad from the cryssalid horde. NEVER FORGET
(click to show/hide)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4786 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:55 am »
Just been playing the Destiny beta on the Xbox 360 (I'm not rich enough for one of the new consoles yet :().  My review of it so far:

First vist to the player hub "The Tower" - I accidentally made my male robot character sit down which caused another, male, player character to run over and give my character a lap dance, after which I then took part in a several minute long synconrised group dance party followed by an impromptu game of football (soccer).

10/10

I'd love to play Destiny, but as far as I can tell they're not making it for PC apparently they are making it for the PC, with the release date rumored to be around March.

I haven't really looked into it that much though, so could someone kinda sum it up for me? As far as I can tell it's some kind of FPS MMO.

It's quite a lot like Borderlands, basically.  Only you'll run into other players normally during missions(whereas in Borderlands you had to chose multiplayer to play with others) and it has a distinct personality of it's own that stops it feeling like a carbon copy.  It also has a dedicated PVP arena that plays like the multiplayer mode on an FPS.

It's not nearly as generous with its loot as Borderlands sadly, and leveling up seems slower too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:20:24 am by Katsuro »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4787 on: July 27, 2014, 03:06:58 am »
Destiny definitely has my interest now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4788 on: July 28, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »
I save scum pickpocket attempts in Skyrim.

I spent an hour playing tag with the kids just so I could jump onto rocks and watch as they looked up at me with their sad faces.  Then I'd grin as, "Quest Complete." appears on my screen.

I need to now find out where I can play Hide and Seek with the little brats so I can start the game, then leave town for a week and see what happens.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4789 on: July 28, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
I killed Alduin in one shot one time. Daedric Bow enchanted to do 25 points of both fire and elecric damage, smithed up to legendary, using a Daedric Arrow, and using my 100 Alchemy (and heavily enchanted gear to add even more to my alchemy) to mix (the one and only)Jarrin Root with some Nightshade. The poison alone did ~6000 damage.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4790 on: July 29, 2014, 01:38:27 am »
I killed Alduin in one shot one time. Daedric Bow enchanted to do 25 points of both fire and elecric damage, smithed up to legendary, using a Daedric Arrow, and using my 100 Alchemy (and heavily enchanted gear to add even more to my alchemy) to mix (the one and only)Jarrin Root with some Nightshade. The poison alone did ~6000 damage.

Damn, and I thought my 100-and-something damage axe (forget the actual number, might be over 200) was insanley over powered.  The only enemies I can't kill in one or two hits are dragons, they take maybe 4 or 5 hits.  But my character is leveled up enough that I don't have to worry at all about my health when literally anything attacks me.  My expereicne of the game now swings between being bored coz everythings too easy to feeling like a mega god, depending on my mood.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4791 on: July 29, 2014, 05:21:50 am »
Done that before.  Of course, I never, EVER start over or go earlier back.  I keep on going until I either succeed or give up in frustration.  Mostly the former.  Why?  Well, let's just say that people who claim the Leeroy Jenkins Approach isn't the end-all be-all of gaming strategy just aren't doing it properly.

On STALKER Lost Alpha, I managed to save scum my way through a pitch black night gunfight against the military to get the documents at Agroprom. I would kill a few guys, move up, save, die, load, repeat. Took probably an hour to get in and out.

I took a look at this thing, and its a free game. When my download limit resets I might get that
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4792 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »
Done that before.  Of course, I never, EVER start over or go earlier back.  I keep on going until I either succeed or give up in frustration.  Mostly the former.  Why?  Well, let's just say that people who claim the Leeroy Jenkins Approach isn't the end-all be-all of gaming strategy just aren't doing it properly.

On STALKER Lost Alpha, I managed to save scum my way through a pitch black night gunfight against the military to get the documents at Agroprom. I would kill a few guys, move up, save, die, load, repeat. Took probably an hour to get in and out.

I took a look at this thing, and its a free game. When my download limit resets I might get that

It's best for someone who's already familiar with STALKER and can see the differences. I compare it to if you took the original Shadow of Chernobyl and handed all of the resources, scripts, plot, quest info, etc. to a group of gamers and asked them to make a game based off of what they were given.

It's sort of an "enhanced" version of the game. Many of the locations are in the same place, but they have different appearances and layouts and there are more locations available. The difficulty curve is greatly slowed down through the inclusion of a few simple fetch and negotiation quests before and after the bandit gunfight (which is normally the very first quest in the game and can be punishingly difficult for someone not used to it).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4793 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »

It's best for someone who's already familiar with STALKER and can see the differences. I compare it to if you took the original Shadow of Chernobyl and handed all of the resources, scripts, plot, quest info, etc. to a group of gamers and asked them to make a game based off of what they were given.

It's sort of an "enhanced" version of the game. Many of the locations are in the same place, but they have different appearances and layouts and there are more locations available. The difficulty curve is greatly slowed down through the inclusion of a few simple fetch and negotiation quests before and after the bandit gunfight (which is normally the very first quest in the game and can be punishingly difficult for someone not used to it).

Is it worth getting though. The whole game seems to be split between people who hate it and people who furiously masturbate to it
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4794 on: July 31, 2014, 11:33:25 pm »

Is it worth getting though. The whole game seems to be split between people who hate it and people who furiously masturbate to it

Do you like STALKER?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4795 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:16 pm »
I havnt played it, but it looks fucking awesome from what ive seen and read.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4796 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:47 am »
I havnt played it, but it looks fucking awesome from what ive seen and read.

It's something you like because you enjoy very difficult first-person shooters in an open world environment. Lost Alpha is very similar to the base game, but with a more American-appropriate difficulty curve and the re-implementation of a lot of cut content and such.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4797 on: August 01, 2014, 07:26:58 pm »
Red Faction collection is 90% off for 17 more hours, go buy now! buy buy buy

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4798 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:51 pm »
I have now paid off my Pre-order of Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, and am now saving up for the recently announced Persona 5.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4799 on: August 02, 2014, 12:37:18 pm »
Relevant to all of us, since... well, it's nice to be proud of ourselves as gamers once in a while:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmNzujz-Aw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmNzujz-Aw</a>
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."