Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1517873 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4890 on: September 08, 2014, 08:53:49 pm »
Got UT2004 from GoG sale 'cos I lost the disks a while ago, fuckin' fantastic multiplayer FPS and still fun even when using bots. Picked up Unreal Gold because it's one of the few retro FPS games I haven't played yet. Also got Crysis 2 off Steam to test my upgraded rig, runs silky smooth at Ultra settings, as opposed to the original Crysis, which was an unoptimized mess that had frequent framerate dips even at medium.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4891 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »
Holy shit, Eternal Crusade looks amazing. Can you say "Hold A to bleed faster" ?

Is it bad that I want Centurions and Terminators in Eternal Crusade just for the sheer crazy awesomeness of having them fight each other? Or having dual chainswords as a loadout option? Or am going to hold this over all my buddies in a burst of PC superiority complex?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:21:54 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4892 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:17 pm »
Got UT2004 from GoG sale 'cos I lost the disks a while ago, fuckin' fantastic multiplayer FPS and still fun even when using bots. Picked up Unreal Gold because it's one of the few retro FPS games I haven't played yet. Also got Crysis 2 off Steam to test my upgraded rig, runs silky smooth at Ultra settings, as opposed to the original Crysis, which was an unoptimized mess that had frequent framerate dips even at medium.

Which is really impressive, because Crysis actually ran at a playable FPS on high detail on this computer whereas Metro 2033 and Alan Wake were 100% unplayable even on low detail.

To say nothing of The Forest, though that's admittedly in alpha.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4893 on: September 09, 2014, 10:28:14 am »
Crysis was just a graphics engine with the budget of a Triple-A game, I fail to see why its performance is so surprising.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4894 on: September 09, 2014, 11:42:38 am »
It's just a shame that none of that Triple-A budget went into optimization :P something they thankfully fixed in later versions. For a glorified tech demo, I actually really like Crysis as a game, fun little shooter. bit short, tho. but then again, what game isn't these days?

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4895 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:18 pm »
Humble Indie Bundle 12 is on now. Really tempted to get the $65 version of it, since it comes with some cool stuff and would be about the same price as if I bought the games I want seperately.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4896 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:12 am »
So, apparently, Mojang's been up to some downright shady shenanigans for about two years, now, all of it centering around Bukkit, a piece of server software for Minecraft that's become quite popular because it makes creating modded Minecraft servers easier than it normally would be.

Ya see, for the first half of its life, Bukkit worked for Bukkit and nobody else.  However, that changed about two years ago, when Mojang secretly acquired Bukkit, without the knowledge or consent of at least 20 members of the Bukkit development team.  Work that went towards Bukkit also went towards Mojang; the people who were working on Bukkit were essentially working for Mojang without even knowing it...or being paid for their time.  This recently exploded in Mojang's face, and they're now pulling the plug on Bukkit, diverting the people that are still left to work on their vapourware mod API.

So, because Mojang's a bunch of shady motherfuckers, we've likely lost Bukkit, and the shit has flowed over into the nearest Bukkit equivalent, Cauldron (formerly MCPC+), throwing that project into disarray, as well.  Mojang's idiocy has basically threatened the entire modded Minecraft community.  Sometimes, incompetence can be dangerous.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4897 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:34 am »
That seems needlessly evil on behalf of mojang.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4898 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:42 am »
I have no idea who or what "Bukkit" and "Bojang" are, but how was "Bojang" able to get "Bukkit?" And how was it possible to get "Bukkit" without the crew (paid crew or volunteer/hobbyists?) knowing about it?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4899 on: September 10, 2014, 02:21:59 pm »
And now the rumors of Microsoft offering $2 billion for Minecraft seems to have some traction

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4900 on: September 10, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »
If they take the deal they have no excuse not to finally get around to optimizing the PC version. It runs worse than Crysis FFS.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4901 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »
Why the fuck would Microsoft pay $2 billion for a five year old game that everyone already owns? That's just pants-on-head retarded.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4902 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13:23 pm »
Because it's a 5 year old game that does bananas in sales?

Ironbite-I mean seriously...it's still selling really really well.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4903 on: September 10, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »
Why the fuck would Microsoft pay $2 billion for a five year old game that everyone already owns? That's just pants-on-head retarded.

Or, you know, they could know something you don't.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4904 on: September 10, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »
I have no idea who or what "Bukkit" and "Bojang" are, but how was "Bojang" able to get "Bukkit?" And how was it possible to get "Bukkit" without the crew (paid crew or volunteer/hobbyists?) knowing about it?

According to my friend, who happens to spend quite a bit of time in Bukkit's IRC, it was because only a few of the people higher up the metaphorical food chain (I say "metaphorical" because this was all being done for free by a ragtag group of Java programmers) did it without informing anyone.  Mojang didn't bother telling anyone, or announcing anything until recently, once the whole thing had collapsed in on itself.

And now the rumors of Microsoft offering $2 billion for Minecraft seems to have some traction

From what I've heard, that's largely unsubstantiated rumour-mongering.  Though, it could potentially spell the death of modded Minecraft, if Microsoft actually does buy out Mojang/Minecraft and decides to be a dick about it.  If that happens...well, its been real, Minecraft, but I'll find something else to fuck around with.  Minecraft without mods is a very boring experience.