Author Topic: Apparently The Only People Allowed To "Stand Their Ground" Are Men  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
I am fucking pissed.

Nowadays the words "Stand Your Ground" have almost become synonymous with "no fair" and "unjust," due mostly to the non-arrest of George Zimmerman the night he shot Trayvon Martin and that law that protected him up until just last week.
But the cases of John McNeil and now Marissa Alexander have highlighted the inconsistencies in the laws application.

No shit, Sherlock. They're also missing CeCe McDonald, who has also been charged a crime despite falling under that law and also not hurting anyone.

According to a blogsite pleading her case, in 2010, Alexander found herself in a violent confrontation with her husband. Her husband already had a history of abuse towards her and other women in the past, causing Alexander to place an injunction for protection against violence on him.

On this day in particular Alexander says that her husband, unprovoked, assaulted her in the bathroom of her home. She managed to get out of his grasp and ran to her car in the garage to leave, but realized that she didn't have her keys. She was also unable to open the garage door to get out because of a mechanical malfunction.

At this point, she was very fearful for her life, but knew that she had to at least get her cell phone to call for help. That's when she grabbed a gun, for which she had a concealed weapon permit. When she walked back into the kitchen area, she saw her husband again, who was supposed to be leaving through another door with his two sons (her stepsons). When he saw her, she says he screamed "bitch, I'll kill you" and charged at her. She then pointed her weapon at the ceiling, turned her head and shot in the air. That scared her husband off.

But, he promptly called the police and told them that she shot the gun at him and his sons. She was taken to jail where she has been sitting ever since.

Alexander has been trying to use Florida's Stand Your Ground laws to defend her actions, but to no avail. A judge ruled that Alexander was actually in the wrong, saying that she could have exited to safety through one of the other doors or windows in the house instead of crossing paths with her husband in the kitchen.

Except the whole point of Stand Your Ground is that you're supposed to - get this - stand your ground.

She's been charged with aggravated assault without intent to harm, which carries a minimum of 20 years despite the fact that no one was injured. I'd also like to point out that she has stepsons from this marriage, and I will bet anything that he got at least partial custody of them despite being an abusive fuckwit.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Apparently The Only People Allowed To "Stand Their Ground" Are Men
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:41:17 pm »
Well duh. Everyone knows them petite little wimmin-folk don't know how to handle firearms. That's a man's job.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »
Alexander has been trying to use Florida's Stand Your Ground laws to defend her actions, but to no avail. A judge ruled that Alexander was actually in the wrong, saying that she could have exited to safety through one of the other doors or windows in the house instead of crossing paths with her husband in the kitchen.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

So the one time when this law would seem to have had a postive effect and... the judge rules against the woman.

Hell I dont' think this even needed to be covered under SYG since she was in her home (castle law) AND was not able to retreat.

But how much do you want to bet part of the problem was it was a she said/he and his sons said....

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:23 pm »
Hey look at it this way with the way the GOP hates women moderate to center right women will vote democrat in droves
Still angry dimension time

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
That article is not telling the whole truth. She had been living elsewhere for two months. The argument began when she came to visit and he found out she had been exchanging texts with her ex-husband.

[The husband] moved to the the living room where his children were. Subsequently, the Defendant emerged from the master bedroom and went into the garage where her car was parked. The Defendant testified she was trying to leave the residence but could not get the garage door to open. (The Court notes that despite the Defendant's claim she was in fear for her life at that point and trying to get away from [him] she did not leave the house through the back or front doors which were unobstructed. Additionally, the garage door had worked previously and there was no evidence presented to support her claim.) The Defendant then retrieved her firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. The Defendant returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three victims....The Defendant shot at [her husband], nearly missing his head. The bullet traveled through the kitchen wall and into the ceiling in the living room. The Victims fled the residence and immediately called 911. The Defendant stayed in the marital home and at no point called 911.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89763280/Order-Denying-Defendants-Motion-for-Immunity-and-Motion-to-Dismiss

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »
She can trade places with Zimmerman.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:48 pm »
Should've shot him.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »
Should've shot him.

Did you read the link to the court document?  Way more going on there.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »
I think Tenfold was being sarcastic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:09 am »
I can understand not using the front or back doors to try to escape seeing as the guy was likely still in the house.  However, not calling 911 afterward is extremely off.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01:24 am »
I think after you shoot someone in self-defense you should call 911 anyway so that you don't look like a murder suspect.

Just sayin'.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:05:04 am »
I can understand not using the front or back doors to try to escape seeing as the guy was likely still in the house.  However, not calling 911 afterward is extremely off.

If your legitimately afraid for your life you might not be thinking clearly or rationally.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:39:13 am »
She didn't shoot him. She shot at him. Although her claim to have fired in the air is a pit suss seeing as they tracked the bullet through the kitchen wall. My understanding is that she still has to stand trial and can still rely on self defence (stand your ground or whatever) but will have to let  a jury rather than a judge decide.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:05 am »
She didn't shoot him. She shot at him. Although her claim to have fired in the air is a pit suss seeing as they tracked the bullet through the kitchen wall. My understanding is that she still has to stand trial and can still rely on self defence (stand your ground or whatever) but will have to let  a jury rather than a judge decide.

Even if she is lying, it does show that the SYG laws are highly subjective. If anything, I think there is more damning evidence against Zimmerman (not to start a debate, we have another thread) than Alexander and Zimmerman would be a free man right now if not for the media's focus on the case.

And not to draw large conclusions, but it does speak to Wyatt Cenac's point on the Daily show not too long ago that white people (men) get the benefit of the doubt regarding these laws.

EDIT for clarity: The whole SYG laws are stupid and should be done away with and that's what I'm directing this post towards. I don't know enough about this case to make an educated statement on it either way.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:52:28 am by QueenofHearts »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:27:06 am »
She re-entered the house with a firearm and shot at her husband. I can understand the court choosing to ignore the stand your ground case. Of course, like QueenofHearts said this is more damning on Zimmerman, than it is on this case. In this case it largely sounds like justice is following its winding and convoluted course.

Of note though as to why she didn't call 911 is because she had attempted to leave without her cellphone. She claims the reason she went back inside the house with the firearm was to retrieve her phone and then leave. If at least the part of her not having a phone on her is true, she would have been unable to call 911 regardless of her intent when re-entering the house.

Personally, I doubt things will turn out in her favour, but I think that is just my cynical and jaded views on justice coming through.