Author Topic: Miss Universe allows trans contestants  (Read 12672 times)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: Miss Universe allows trans contestants
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 02:46:14 am »
I am a transsexual myself, and I think Diamandahagan is over reacting.
Statistically speaking the vast majority of trans people transition later in life normally starting in their middle to late 30s. Add to that they generally have a history of trying to repress their feelings through ultra masculine activities they have conditioned their bodies to be noticeably male. The unfortunate truth about these late transitions is that a significant portion of them do not manage to pass easily as women. The statistics and biology are no in their favor. Also someone who has significant knowledge of trans issues will find it easier to notice a trans person because they will be able to notice the signs that are generally there on anyone who transitioned after puberty. As a transsexual myself I can notice signs because those are the very same signs I despise in my own body, I have done so on people who pass amazingly well. People who pass so well I wouldn't have suspected them at all, if I was not a transsexual myself.

Next, and this is important, non transsexuals have an incredibly hard time understanding transsexuals. It makes no sense to them. They do not understand the torment of being in the wrong body. They cannot comprehend the thought of undergoing surgery to alter ones sexual organs. To them the thought of a minor injury to their sexual organs is pretty horrific, but to a trans person undergoing a willing complete alteration of those organs is a great happy moment. The difference is perception. Someone who is at peace with their body cannot understand what it is to be at such odds with ones own body.

However despite these misunderstandings, there are many who support transsexuals. People who may not understand all the aspects of it, but who support our rights to be who we are. Not everyone will understand. I don't think anyone will ever understand completely. With the misinformation and bad press transsexuals get many have misinformed prejudices. However they will normally recant those prejudices if they are politely educated on the reality of transsexuals. It helps transsexuals far more to inform others in the complex issues surrounding transsexualism than it is to scream trans-phobia when they misspeak or don't understand something.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »
^^^^^^^

I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent post  :)

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »
I agree, beautifully written.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:15 pm »
Statistically speaking the vast majority of trans people transition later in life normally starting in their middle to late 30s. Add to that they generally have a history of trying to repress their feelings through ultra masculine activities they have conditioned their bodies to be noticeably male. The unfortunate truth about these late transitions is that a significant portion of them do not manage to pass easily as women. The statistics and biology are no in their favor. Also someone who has significant knowledge of trans issues will find it easier to notice a trans person because they will be able to notice the signs that are generally there on anyone who transitioned after puberty. As a transsexual myself I can notice signs because those are the very same signs I despise in my own body, I have done so on people who pass amazingly well. People who pass so well I wouldn't have suspected them at all, if I was not a transsexual myself.

Next, and this is important, non transsexuals have an incredibly hard time understanding transsexuals. It makes no sense to them. They do not understand the torment of being in the wrong body. They cannot comprehend the thought of undergoing surgery to alter ones sexual organs. To them the thought of a minor injury to their sexual organs is pretty horrific, but to a trans person undergoing a willing complete alteration of those organs is a great happy moment. The difference is perception. Someone who is at peace with their body cannot understand what it is to be at such odds with ones own body.

However despite these misunderstandings, there are many who support transsexuals. People who may not understand all the aspects of it, but who support our rights to be who we are. Not everyone will understand. I don't think anyone will ever understand completely. With the misinformation and bad press transsexuals get many have misinformed prejudices. However they will normally recant those prejudices if they are politely educated on the reality of transsexuals. It helps transsexuals far more to inform others in the complex issues surrounding transsexualism than it is to scream trans-phobia when they misspeak or don't understand something.

Sweet Odin I love it when someone looks an issue in the fact and can just speak the honest truth!  Great post!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Thank you. This is exactly what needed to be said.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »
so thinking that trans related surgery is wird isnt a light form of transphobia?

No, it isn't. And I say that as a transman who very much wants genital surgery one day.

Merriam-Webster defines weird as "of strange or extraordinary character." Extraordinary is defined as "going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary."

I don't think anyone will argue that having surgery (or even just taking hormones) to change your body in such a drastic way is "beyond usual." That doesn't mean it is wrong; it only means it isn't what a vast majority of people do.

Heck, given how some FtM genital surgery is done, I think even the procedure is weird! (One procedure removes skin and underlying tissue from either the abdomen or the arm and grafts it onto the clitoris to form a penis. A new procedure removes the middle finger of the non-dominant hand to form the basis of the penis.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:23 pm »
Count me in the "doesn't understand but is supportive" group. There's lots of things in this world I don't understand. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 09:36:20 pm »
As someone who is cisgendered, one tool I've often employed to help me understand what trans-people go through is to imagine what it would be like if I woke up tomorrow and discovered that I'd somehow been transferred into a male body. It's not a perfect comparison, of course, but thinking about how I would feel if everyone around me suddenly perceived me as male, began referring to me using male pronouns, and insisted that I was a man because I suddenly had this male body has helped me to at least gain some perspective on what it's like to go through life in the wrong body, even if I can never truly understand what it's like to be transgendered.

In any case, as others have said, I do not need to fully understand something in order to empathize with people who are going through it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 10:07:15 pm »
I like the whole "Get into an accident and lose your genitals, and have people around you insist that you aren't the gender you are"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:48 pm »
While it's not really comparable, furries catch a lot of shit because people don't understand them and think they all go around humping each other in mascot costumes. I assume most people here do understand furries better than most so I won't go into it all here. Before anyone asks, no, I wouldn't call myself a furry. Though I would totally go around dressed in a animal costume, because I think it would be fun as hell.

Sylvana pretty much covered about anything I could have contributed to the discussion.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:33 am »
And then there's otherkin, who catch a lot of flack for "attempting to piggyback the trans issues"

Granted, otherkin/therian are more or less shoved into the same category as "furries" for the purposes of mockery (and in fact, many people confuse furries for otherkin/therian and vice versa) and it's all just a huge mess of 'Hey, mind your own business'

I won't elaborate on it too much because I don't wish to offend any sensibilities here :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:41 am »
Count me in the "doesn't understand but is supportive" group. There's lots of things in this world I don't understand. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.

I'm in.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »
so thinking that trans related surgery is wird isnt a light form of transphobia?

Heck, given how some FtM genital surgery is done, I think even the procedure is weird! (One procedure removes skin and underlying tissue from either the abdomen or the arm and grafts it onto the clitoris to form a penis. A new procedure removes the middle finger of the non-dominant hand to form the basis of the penis.)

... yecch.

Just wondering, can you do the surgery through donors? I'm thinking that maybe I can donate. It seems less intrusive although I'm not sure if it would work anatomically.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »
Organ donor penii? I guess that could work. Some donors might be more in demand than others though. Could cause bidding wars.