Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30860 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2013, 12:59:19 pm »
Anyone thinking deja vu with Reagan's Star Wars if this was a bluff on the US' part?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:24 pm »
Anyone thinking deja vu with Reagan's Star Wars if this was a bluff on the US' part?
They weren't bluffing, they were just giving everyone a chance to talk their way out of it first.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2013, 02:52:02 pm »
They weren't bluffing, they were just giving everyone a chance to talk their way out of it first.
I meant on Obama's position to take action earlier, but ok.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:13 pm »
To actually have been a bluff, Obama would've had to been suffering from a brain disorder.

Ironbite-beyond the one that turns all politicians into amoral douchebags./

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »
Or maybe the whole thing has been a cooperative international pressure tactic against Assad from the beginning, with diplomatic strategists figuring he's an unsophisticated clod who can be guided into being trapped in a corner, since there is enough proof to condemn him anyway. Obama's role is the "bad cop", Putin is the "good cop", NATO plays the role of mommy, and Assad finally cries "uncle".
Huh. That might actually be the case. It would be a brilliant Xanatos Gambit.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44:00 pm »
I think that's being a little optimistic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
Had this discussion with a right-leaning friend.

Me: Anyone think the Obama's wanting to take action may be a bluff? I'm suddenly reminded of Star Wars.

Friend: It clearly is a bluff, Obama doesn't have the balls to just go and do it. He also tried to force this, and because of that, set us up for a lose-lose situation. If it were Bush, Clinton, etc, we'd have been in there and raised all hell.

However now, it gets more complex, mainly cause we have like, only France in support. Obama's threat to go to war, to invade, and to remove the weapons are seemingly more and more intangible. Now here is Syria thinking "Hey, these guys aren't going to war, they're just blowing smoke". Every one of these hesitations make oppressors more confident, Hitler's aggressive before WW2 ringing a bell?

It's now a double edged sword. Go to war: be labeled as a war monger (much like how Obama portrayed Bush), lose lives, raise taxes, increase spending, continue to confuse Middle East relations. Don't go to war: Be labeled as an indecisive leader, show a weak resolve, promote future aggresion through appeasement.

So here we are, with a UN that is about as useful as a water-gun (Gee, thanks everyone!), Putin preventing war (Or at least stalling for Syria) to serve his own initiative, and Obama posing like some tough-guy president.

The only winners are the oppressors now. Syria, North Korea, etc. are starting to get used to these idle threats. I mean seriously, now we're getting news that NK is restarting their plutonium nuclear factory for bombs already.

Funny how this is eerily reminiscent of the prelude to WW2. League of Nations, USSR, economical turmoil seem to be checked. All that we're missing is something like pre-WW2 Japan and Germany.

Yippee

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:27 pm »

Me: Anyone think the Obama's wanting to take action may be a bluff? I'm suddenly reminded of Star Wars.

Friend: It clearly is a bluff, Obama doesn't have the balls to just go and do it. He also tried to force this, and because of that, set us up for a lose-lose situation. If it were Bush, Clinton, etc, we'd have been in there and raised all hell.

However now, it gets more complex, mainly cause we have like, only France in support. Obama's threat to go to war, to invade, and to remove the weapons are seemingly more and more intangible. Now here is Syria thinking "Hey, these guys aren't going to war, they're just blowing smoke". Every one of these hesitations make oppressors more confident, Hitler's aggressive before WW2 ringing a bell?

It's now a double edged sword. Go to war: be labeled as a war monger (much like how Obama portrayed Bush), lose lives, raise taxes, increase spending, continue to confuse Middle East relations. Don't go to war: Be labeled as an indecisive leader, show a weak resolve, promote future aggresion through appeasement.

So here we are, with a UN that is about as useful as a water-gun (Gee, thanks everyone!), Putin preventing war (Or at least stalling for Syria) to serve his own initiative, and Obama posing like some tough-guy president.

The only winners are the oppressors now. Syria, North Korea, etc. are starting to get used to these idle threats. I mean seriously, now we're getting news that NK is restarting their plutonium nuclear factory for bombs already.

Funny how this is eerily reminiscent of the prelude to WW2. League of Nations, USSR, economical turmoil seem to be checked. All that we're missing is something like pre-WW2 Japan and Germany.

Yippee

Huh, this probably the first time I've read a conservative argument that had actual points of merit to it in well over a year. Although I'm not quite sure Obama wouldn't do it if it were more politically convenient. If more Americans supported intervention, I have no doubt that Obama would go ahead with the bombing. But with 61% of the country opposed to intervention, it would be very bad politically for Obama to circumvent Congress and bomb Syria. It would be Unconstitutional as well, but our political leaders don't care much about the Constitution except during election years. And even then, they care only about the parts of it that they agree with.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:08 pm »
I just saw a post with a guy in uniform saying 'I didn't join the Navy to fight for Al Quaeda in Syria.'

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2013, 08:23:39 pm »

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
I just saw a post with a guy in uniform saying 'I didn't join the Navy to fight for Al Quaeda in Syria.'
Which is strange given I've seen 2 military men saying they're willing to go, one of which I've quoted somewhere before.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2013, 08:31:35 pm »

Yippee

Huh, this probably the first time I've read a conservative argument that had actual points of merit to it in well over a year. Although I'm not quite sure Obama wouldn't do it if it were more politically convenient. If more Americans supported intervention, I have no doubt that Obama would go ahead with the bombing. But with 61% of the country opposed to intervention, it would be very bad politically for Obama to circumvent Congress and bomb Syria. It would be Unconstitutional as well, but our political leaders don't care much about the Constitution except during election years. And even then, they care only about the parts of it that they agree with.
So, what he's saying is that we're stuck between Iraq...

...and a hard place.

Shut up. That's the best pun I could think of.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:39 pm »

Yippee

So, what he's saying is that we're stuck between Iraq...

...and a hard place.

Shut up. That's the best pun I could think of.
I thought it was clever enough for a laugh.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:34 am »

Yippee

Nope, still stupid.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:12 am »
Nope, still stupid.

I will flick your forehead.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet