Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1671897 times)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #2205 on: March 04, 2013, 11:56:46 pm »
What's with the period-worship among radfems? Is it because it's the one specifically feminine trait that can't be artificially recreated? They could worship breasts or vaginas and their various component parts, but these days you can get some good surgery that produces all of that very well without the person actually genetically being female. Whereas I don't think there's a surgery or anything that will make a post-op MtF transsexual menstruate or even give an appearance of doing so.

Still. period-worship is creeeeeeeepy. I'm glad I don't get one anymore.

I don't know why a trans person would even want one... I wish I didn't have them.

I can understand why a transwoman would want it, actually. It would make them feel more 'complete'. It can't be easy being so thoroughly aesthetically female and yet having this one deficit that nobody else could see or notice but that YOU know is missing and there's nothing you or all of science can do to 'fix' it. It'd be this one permanently unfixed part of themselves and it can't be easy to live with.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2206 on: March 05, 2013, 02:59:47 am »
What's with the period-worship among radfems? Is it because it's the one specifically feminine trait that can't be artificially recreated? They could worship breasts or vaginas and their various component parts, but these days you can get some good surgery that produces all of that very well without the person actually genetically being female. Whereas I don't think there's a surgery or anything that will make a post-op MtF transsexual menstruate or even give an appearance of doing so.

Still. period-worship is creeeeeeeepy. I'm glad I don't get one anymore.

I don't know why a trans person would even want one... I wish I didn't have them.

I can understand why a transwoman would want it, actually. It would make them feel more 'complete'. It can't be easy being so thoroughly aesthetically female and yet having this one deficit that nobody else could see or notice but that YOU know is missing and there's nothing you or all of science can do to 'fix' it. It'd be this one permanently unfixed part of themselves and it can't be easy to live with.

My guess is that attitude would last about as long as it takes for said person to have one actual period. When I was a teenager I used to get crippling cramps for days at a time. Now I just have bleeding so bad I get anemia, and I swear my body has some kind of biological ESP that knows when to shift it to the most inconvenient possible time. Just had the last one and decide to go on vacation in six weeks? It's almost a sure bet it's going to start the day before I leave.

I know SOME people seem to like them, but I sure hate mine. When birth control pills specifically intended for delaying your period came on the market, there were a bunch of opinion articles blasting the products for making menstruation seem "bad." The real thing is bad enough if you ask me. I was like, "If you people like it so damn much, have mine."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:41:29 am by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2207 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:26 am »
My guess is that attitude would last about as long as it takes for said person to have one actual period.

Actually, I'm gonna bet this would absolutely be the case. When I was about nine or so my mom started in on me with the 'This Is Your Body' stuff parents awkwardly discuss with their kids. She gave me a bunch of books. The following year is when 'Health Classes' started annually in school, and the big thing they always, ALWAYS talked about was menstruation. 'YOU'RE ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE THIS CHANGE THAT MARKS THE BEGINNING OF ADULTHOOD!' It all seemed so weirdly special. So for the next nearly three years I was so anxious to get my first period because I thought it would be this awesome thing. I even hoped I'd have a short cycle so I wouldn't have to wait in between them. Don't ask me why I was so stoked about it, because it sounded gross even then, but I was. (I was an odd child. Still am.)

But as soon as I started, I realized how much it sucked and wondered why I was ever excited about it in the first place.

So, yeah, there's enough hype about how special and womanly it is to menstruate--even from the most well-meaning sources--that it's not unreasonable to assume somebody who didn't yet (or were incapable of) experiencing it would really be anxious to see what it was all about. It's just that MtF transsexuals aren't going to firsthand experience the reality so the desire may never go away.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2208 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:33 am »

Because periods mean - among other things - the ability to reproduce and some transwomen would rather like to have that option?

Kit, you hit the nail perfectly on the head! Without even being trans either. Good job, +1.

It's also the fact that not having one makes us feel like the "odd girl out" which is just a reminder of how we weren't born female, which is a rather upsetting thing to remember. Not being born female just plays on the insecurities we already have with regards to dating & beauty culture.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2209 on: March 05, 2013, 04:07:48 am »

Because periods mean - among other things - the ability to reproduce and some transwomen would rather like to have that option?

Kit, you hit the nail perfectly on the head! Without even being trans either. Good job, +1.

It's also the fact that not having one makes us feel like the "odd girl out" which is just a reminder of how we weren't born female, which is a rather upsetting thing to remember. Not being born female just plays on the insecurities we already have with regards to dating & beauty culture.

The beauty culture punishes women for having a period, though. It probably goes back to the whole "unclean" thing in the Bible. Look at how many products there are devoted to hiding them. It's considered a social embarrassment, so bleeding through tampons and pads is a constant worry. Especially if you're in school or have a job that doesn't allow you to take frequent trips to the restroom. Plus there's always the possibility they will start on you when you don't have supplies on hand. Not only are they gross, they aggravate certain medical conditions and increase the likelihood of urinary infections.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2210 on: March 05, 2013, 04:47:00 am »
I understand how you feel, but please understand this isn't something you can just argue and expect people to agree with you. I'd love more than anything to have children of my own, and sadly, that's not an option. I would happily swap bodies with any of you if it meant having that opportunity. It really is one of the most back-handed things to tell a transwoman in that it reminds us of not being cis and that it acts as though we somehow "lucked out."

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2211 on: March 05, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »
My wife (who will be 29 in May) has already said that for her 30th birthday, she wants to "vote [her] uterus off the island." She has PCOS, so her hormones are already screwed up. Going on hormone replacement would probably be a good thing for her. Not to mention it will make my life better since I won't have to listen to her mood swings or painful cramps. (I know reading that makes me sound selfish and unsympathetic. I've made comments like that to her and she knows I'm joking.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2212 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »
I understand how you feel, but please understand this isn't something you can just argue and expect people to agree with you. I'd love more than anything to have children of my own, and sadly, that's not an option. I would happily swap bodies with any of you if it meant having that opportunity. It really is one of the most back-handed things to tell a transwoman in that it reminds us of not being cis and that it acts as though we somehow "lucked out."

I meant a transwoman  wanting the periods without the ability to get pregnant. Wouldn't the best be to be able to have kids without the periods?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2213 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:11 am »
When I was a teenager I used to get crippling cramps for days at a time. Now I just have bleeding so bad I get anemia

Yeah, that's not normal.  Mine used to be like that, then my mother started noticing that what I thought was "normal period stuff" was actually pretty severe (I'm not good at gauging that sort of thing) and insisted that I be put on the Pill.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Ladies (and other uterus-having folks), if you experience extreme cramping or anemia during your period, that is not "just what happens," it is PMDD.  You should not be unable to function normally for one day each month.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2214 on: March 06, 2013, 10:18:21 am »
Being of a NeoPagan stripe, I confess that periods don't bother me and I've learned to love, honor and accept them. That said, when I was younger, I used to have severe cramps that kept me bedridden & barfing a lot. However, my body now can have a period with no problems. I also think there's a psychosomatic component. If one changes their thinking about periods (like I did) it does ease the pain a tad. That's not to say one shouldn't get valid medical treatment for PMDD, of course. Mine just kinda went away with time.

Now, all I have to contend with is some bloating & irritability, I can remedy this with some nice teas.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2215 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:56 am »
Being of a NeoPagan stripe, I confess that periods don't bother me and I've learned to love, honor and accept them. That said, when I was younger, I used to have severe cramps that kept me bedridden & barfing a lot. However, my body now can have a period with no problems. I also think there's a psychosomatic component. If one changes their thinking about periods (like I did) it does ease the pain a tad. That's not to say one shouldn't get valid medical treatment for PMDD, of course. Mine just kinda went away with time.

Now, all I have to contend with is some bloating & irritability, I can remedy this with some nice teas.

I went through a stage of for about a year, where I would be sick as a dog on the first 2 days of mine, and vomit a lot. I used to be extremely anemic during mine. And my sister has the same problem, and has passed out several times due to it, it is the reason she went on the pill.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #2216 on: March 07, 2013, 11:22:44 am »
since we seem to be not putting up new cartoons ot mock..

... from a  conservative friend on face book.

Think about it....

Two fake cowboys working for their own benefit and personal glory.

And a Community Organizer helping someone else and trying to make things over all a little better.

Maybe it's me but that some think this makes the top two guys look good and the third look bad says more about a certain mind set then it does about the guys in the pictures.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #2217 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
You can understand WHY a lot of radical positions exist--radical feminists who hate men, radical minority-rights groups who hate white people, and there must be people outside the Tumblr community who are gay or trans and sincerely hate straight and cis people--because of histories of violence against the supported group by the target of hate. But that doesn't justify the hate of ALL THESE PEOPLE who never did anything.

The simple fact is, you can't fight hate with hate.

Is there a movement for gays to hate straights? Besides on Tumblr. Like genuine "God I hate those breeders".

There are radscums who call themselves "political lesbians" or "lesbian separatists." I have seen these people say that any woman who claims to be straight or bi is actually brainwashed by the patriarchy and needs to be converted to lesbianism. This is much less hot in practice than in theory, and mostly involves lots of angry yelling, science fails, and bizarre worship of menstrual blood. Oh, and lesbians need to set up their own state where they can be free from the inherently sexist and man-made construction of penis-in-vagina sex.

Sounds a lot like Rockbitch.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2218 on: March 07, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »

Although in the near future, we're probably going to be able to produce babies in artificial wombs, so even that won't matter.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2219 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.