Author Topic: Computer-generated photorealistic human beings  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Computer-generated photorealistic human beings
« on: June 07, 2014, 01:29:36 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/hrnF8#0

All of these people were created by computer.  We're quickly moving out of the uncanny valley.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Computer-generated photorealistic human beings
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:44:25 pm »
Still shots don't quite capture the essence of the uncanny valley; how things move. Sturgeon's law will assure that most CG won't get the movement down correctly, so we will at least be weirded out by that. Conversely, there was a tech demo a little while ago that generated humanlike shapes in real time from multiple cameras:

Mr Kreylos, researcher at University of California, Davis, said in his blog that despite the low quality of the image, it still feels very real.

Again, still images don't quite convey this because movement seems to be a critical factor in how "uncanny" something looks to the human brain.

Escaping the uncanny valley is a matter of presentation, not technology, so I would not expect all CG to suddenly escape the valley. At least, not until computers can predict accurate-enough human movement for us.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
Still shots don't quite capture the essence of the uncanny valley; how things move. Sturgeon's law will assure that most CG won't get the movement down correctly, so we will at least be weirded out by that. Conversely, there was a tech demo a little while ago that generated humanlike shapes in real time from multiple cameras:

Mr Kreylos, researcher at University of California, Davis, said in his blog that despite the low quality of the image, it still feels very real.

Again, still images don't quite convey this because movement seems to be a critical factor in how "uncanny" something looks to the human brain.

Escaping the uncanny valley is a matter of presentation, not technology, so I would not expect all CG to suddenly escape the valley. At least, not until computers can predict accurate-enough human movement for us.
That's certainly true.  On the other hand, not long ago, still images were well within the uncanny valley.  So progress is being made.

I think convincing CGI humans would have a massive impact in ways we can't even imagine.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:21:31 pm »
Eerie.  Almost too realistic, if there is such a thing.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »
Eerie.  Almost too realistic, if there is such a thing.

That's uncanny valley in a nutshell: If it's too close to being realistic while still displaying subtle hints of "not quite right", it's going to freak people out.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)