Author Topic: Ken Ham is at it again! Everyone, point and laugh!  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
Ken Ham is at it again! Everyone, point and laugh!
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:12:22 pm »
http://www.salon.com/2014/07/21/ken_ham_wants_to_end_the_u_s_space_program_because_aliens_can%E2%80%99t_have_salvation/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yep, Ken Ham is up to his usual Answers in Genesis antics again. The focus of his (and, according to him, God's) ire is NASA, for attempting to contact aliens that, according to him, will be going to hell anyway. Quite odd, considering NASA
  • hasn't directly funded any SETI projects since 1995,
  • is not affiliated with any church body, and as such is not responsible for proselytizing,
  • takes up less than 0.5% of the federal budget,
  • helped popularize Tang, freeze-dried foods, and portable cordless vacuum cleaners, which have saved my bacon in many earthbound problems.
It's nothing out of the ordinary for Ken, but it's still there if you're in need of a chuckle.

I did manage to find a Christian rebuttal to his arguments, and I found it quite fascinating. http://voceveritas.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/sorry-spock-christians-arent-allowed-to-like-space-anymore/
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Ken Ham is at it again! Everyone, point and laugh!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:15:58 pm »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:34:45 am »
“And I do believe there can’t be other intelligent beings in outer space because of the meaning of the gospel,” Ham wrote. “You see, the Bible makes it clear that Adam’s sin affected the whole universe. This means that any aliens would also be affected by Adam’s sin, but because they are not Adam’s descendants, they can’t have salvation.

I dunno, subjecting beings to that kind of cruel catch-22 seems exactly like something the god of the bible would do.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:14:31 am »
“And I do believe there can’t be other intelligent beings in outer space because of the meaning of the gospel,” Ham wrote. “You see, the Bible makes it clear that Adam’s sin affected the whole universe. This means that any aliens would also be affected by Adam’s sin, but because they are not Adam’s descendants, they can’t have salvation.

I dunno, subjecting beings to that kind of cruel catch-22 seems exactly like something the god of the bible would do.

Also, I love how he's basically saying that if it turned out that extra terrestiral civilisations do exist then that won't affect the "fact" that he and mankind are still special little flowers and the centre (metaphorically) of God's creation.  Such arrogance and narcism...it's almost beautiful.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:26 pm »
The discovery of aliens would provide a perfect opportunity for humanity to demonstrate its values by killing them.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:55:17 am »
The discovery of aliens would provide a perfect opportunity for humanity to demonstrate its values by killing them.

Yeah, this is about right.

We will peace and love the shit right out of your skull.

Oh, trigger warning for all non-skeletals.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:55:17 am »

So God made all those other beings on all those other planets unable to know him just so he could send them to hell when they died.  That's nice, Ken.  I'm glad I don't believe in your God.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
Ken Ham...whose face lives up to his name.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:53 am »
To be fair, Ken Ham doesn't believe aliens do exist. He just gave his reason for why he doesn't believe it.

If aliens do turn out to exist, Ham will deny that it is aliens and claim it is demons. And the Republican Party platform will call for the carpet nuking of their planet to get their oil fight terror.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:09:16 am »
Granted, the whole "Aliens have no souls" is a silly notion.  Also scientists, astronomers, and other people working at NASA are simply trying to gain a better understanding of the universe, not conspire against God by conjuring up an alternative idea of how we came to be.

At least he isn't saying that extraterrestrials are demons...yet.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 03:04:07 am »
Funny, I'm looking at writing a story that pokes fun at the idea that the religious types would insist any extraterrestrials are demonic forces and use violence against them.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 03:18:33 am »
Funny, I'm looking at writing a story that pokes fun at the idea that the religious types would insist any extraterrestrials are demonic forces and use violence against them.
DOIT!

...also I'm stealing that, that's a great idea for a story...

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 03:21:22 am »
Mine's rather pony, so I think we could both feasibly do one and both would work within their own little universes.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."