Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 567736 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1200 on: August 22, 2012, 12:03:40 am »
You know, even though my collection is a bit limited, I do have all of you beat out, because I have a limited edition SDCC Derpy Hooves...MUFFIN!!

Yes, and I'll be looting your corpse for that sooner or later~

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B_UZNtEk4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B_UZNtEk4</a>

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #1201 on: August 22, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »
You know, even though my collection is a bit limited, I do have all of you beat out, because I have a limited edition SDCC Derpy Hooves...MUFFIN!!

Yes, and I'll be looting your corpse for that sooner or later~

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B_UZNtEk4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B_UZNtEk4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0I9qLE0VA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0I9qLE0VA</a>
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1202 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:35 am »
I think I finally figured out just what it is that caused Friendship is Magic to develop such a following.

The kinds of people that are fans of the show were also fans of 80s and 90s cartoons when growing up.  Quite frankly, most of what is released today absolutely pales in comparison to what was released back then.  In fact, "good cartoon" has become an oxymoron lately.

And there's another thing.  Just because we're adults doesn't mean we magically stopped being fans of cartoons.  Cartoons helped raise us.  They're a part of our identity, our culture.

Friendship is Magic is rare in that it's a cartoon that doesn't suck nowadays.  It's nothing too innovative (other than being the first girl's cartoon since She-Ra to not suck) but in a way, that's why it appeals to us.

It is what we have been missing.  A decent cartoon for us to enjoy.  To remind us of the Age of Imagination that has faded away.

Quite honestly, except for nostalgia channels, Friendship is Magic is superior to most cartoons on television today.  It actually manages to be more clever, witty, and funny than shows that are actually directed at adults (when cartoons aimed at adults are dumber and less mature than a show aimed at little kids, there's something fucked up in the world)

...It's kinda odd, but MLPFIM is actually more mature and intelligent than a lot of cartoons today (and, to an extent, more intelligent than a lot of other shows, too.)  Which is part of why it's so good - it's not condescending towards its target audience.

It is an oasis in a desert of bad television.  And animals all like to gather together at the watering hole.

That being said, I still miss the Age of Imagination, but Friendship is Magic helps a bit with that.

Now... is it a show aimed at little kids?  Yes.  We bronies are a periphery demographic.  Should we feel ashamed for watching it?

Nope. C. S. Lewis said it best.

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

"On Three Ways of Writing for Children" (1952)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:35:46 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1203 on: August 26, 2012, 03:15:15 am »
Well, I kinda thought most of that was obvious, Zachski.

I mean... it's really not hard to see the difference between modern cartoons and the ones from, say, the early 90s. They've been, as a whole, getting dumber and dumber for years. Most don't even try to be intelligent or tell a story anymore. They just throw random bullshit at kids in the hopes of making them laugh.

In the end, I think a lot of it boils down to perception. People automatically associate anything animated with children. Very few people are willing to looking at "cartoon" as a medium that can be used to express a multitude of different things, rather than a singular genre. For instance, Avatar: The Last Airbender was the first US cartoon in years that actually used animation to tell an epic story, rather than as a delivery vehicle for slapstick comedy.

Now we have MLP:FiM that tries to fall somewhere between Avatar and a more traditional cartoon. It tells a cohesive story, but in a far more episodic manner, and with lots of funny stuff mixed in. But there's still a solid story in there being told.

That's really, at the end of the day, what so many modern cartoons lack. Any kind of actual story. They spend all their time displaying random events that never actually lead anywhere. Maybe that's fine when your target audience is 7 year olds, and the next year it's the new batch of 7 year olds and you don't care about the ones who are 8 now. But it doesn't lead to anything resembling a fanbase, because the people who enjoy the show change as the old audience grows bored and a new one takes its place until it grows bored too.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1204 on: August 26, 2012, 03:46:13 am »
That's the problem... cartoons today treat 7 year olds like they're stupid.

When I was 7, I loved Pirates of Darkwater.  That was an epic show with epic storytelling.

Best of all, it didn't talk down to the kids.  It told a story for the purpose of entertainment.  It gave us adventure, which is what we wanted.

Television today, outside of imported cartoons, tends to be stupid.  I mean, granted, there were some good shows between 2000 and 2010, but they were the kinda showed that got axed halfway through in favor of pushing more mind-numbing crap through.  (Dragon Booster, American Dragon Jake Long, etc.)

Honestly, I'm not even sure what passes for cartoons today.  Thundercats 2011 was GREAT, being basically the new Avatar in storytelling equivalency.  However, it doesn't seem like it's going to continue past the second season, despite being in the middle of the story.  (This is one thing I would be glad to be proven wrong on)

I think Legend of Korra is the only other good cartoon nowadays...

So many cartoons that lack adventure.  Even FiM has more adventure than 90% of TV today, and it's a fucking slice of life cartoon XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1205 on: August 26, 2012, 12:50:18 pm »
A few other cartoons that got axed in favor of dreck? Megas XLR, Life and Times of Juniper Lee, and Samurai Jack.

Seeing MLP not only survive, but THRIVE in this day and age? Luna's Night, that makes me proud.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1206 on: August 26, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »
1. I will never stop loving cartoons
2. I will never stop loving "kid stuff".
3. Samurai Jack was an awesome cartoon, but I like a lot of Genndy Tartakovsky's work, such as Dexter's Laboratory, and Star Wars:Clone Wars(though I wish the episodes were a little longer, I didn't like that the episodes were only 15 minutes long).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:32:59 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #1207 on: August 26, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »
For those interested in pony-related games, here's a little promo for what seems like a grimdark-ish game...

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/08/welcome-to-ponyville-act-1-announcement.html#more
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1208 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »
The Lyra part about humans existing and Celestia covering it up, cracked me up.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1209 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:46 pm »
Apparently, that Derpy in-joke isn't just restricted to the show anymore...

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #1210 on: August 29, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »
That's because Derpy is the best background pony.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #1211 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:07 am »
Speaking of background ponies, I guess I can post my even more updated collection:

I am currently satisfied with this set~

And the extra Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, and Trixie I got are currently decorating the area around my computer now.

So many friggin' unicorns...
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1212 on: September 02, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »
OMFG NIGHTMARE MOON IS OUT??

Is Zecora out too?  Want.  Zebra.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #1213 on: September 02, 2012, 07:00:42 pm »

Zecora's out, glows in the freaking dark, and is sold at Toys R Us.  Shall I get you one, lovely?

Formerly Priestling

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1214 on: September 03, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »

Zecora's out, glows in the freaking dark, and is sold at Toys R Us.  Shall I get you one, lovely?

I think I'll stop by after work soon. :3
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!