Author Topic: Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history  (Read 2543 times)

Offline jlujan69

• Neonate
Yeah, I'm a Fundy and I've probably said a darndest thing or two since becoming one.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23:12 am »
It will be great if it happens, but I have my doubts.  And while it may eventually occur that a vast majority accepts it, there are some people that are simply too invested into the Genesis fable to ever accept evolution regardless of the evidence.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:00:35 pm by Star Cluster »
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Atavist

• Pope
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:53:43 am »
I'm sure there will be a reduction of debates as time progresses.
But it is never going to go away completely. We've had several quotes on the main page that boiled down to, " I don't care what they can prove. I refuse to accept it."
That mind set alone proves there will always be those who will argue the point.
And some of them will pass/force that position on to their children.
I am too lost for shame
That it moves me unto mirth,
But I can vision a Hell of flame
For I have lived on Earth.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:52 pm »
There are too many organization that depend on the literal interpretation of Genesis (despite it's contradictions), particularly man's fall from paradise, for the evolution/creation "debate" to go away soon.

Also Pro-tip: it's generally advised you quote and provide a small commentary when you start a thread with a link.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »
If creationists could be convinced by overwhelming evidence, there wouldn't be any creationists.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:04:49 pm »
Look at the flat earthers we still have on the main page.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »
The creationist strongholds in the developed world are mainly in America, which is becoming less religious (slowly but surely, muahahahaha). Flat-earthers are basically extinct.

Basically I think that religion is going to continue to liberalize, and in time absolute creationism is going to become a thing of the past. One of the things that will rectify the problem is a better science education. My biology teacher is going over the theory of evolution by natural selection, and actually spent several classes debunking common creationist myths and misconceptions of evolution. I think he should get a medal.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:11 pm »
Look at the flat earthers we still have on the main page.

Don't forget the geocentrists, and the physics denialists.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 05:47:09 am »
Flat-earthers are basically extinct.

Yet they still exist. The only real difference will be that as it stands now the general population is at least willing to listen to the creationists. In time they will be giving them the same dumbfounded states that we give flat earthers and they will be mocked by everyone. It will happen in time, but there will always be the crazy hold outs.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
Flat-earthers are basically extinct.

Yet they still exist. The only real difference will be that as it stands now the general population is at least willing to listen to the creationists. In time they will be giving them the same dumbfounded states that we give flat earthers and they will be mocked by everyone. It will happen in time, but there will always be the crazy hold outs.

Yep.  No matter how much evidence you have or how widely accepted something is, there will always be people who refuse to acknowledge it.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »
People generally believe new ideas, new ideas take hold as everyone who believes the old idea dies off.
Another hundred years or so.
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 08:37:56 am »
Basically I think that religion is going to continue to liberalize, and in time absolute creationism is going to become a thing of the past. One of the things that will rectify the problem is a better science education.

Too bad the gov't keeps cutting $ to education.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"