Author Topic: Disney acquires Lucasfilm  (Read 11732 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Disney acquires Lucasfilm
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »
Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Disney_Buying_Lucasfilm_Plans_New_Star_Wars_Film_148646.asp

I really don't know how I feel about this, especially since I'll rather have something that takes place between ROTS and ANH...afterall we have 19 years to work with folks, and there haven't been much EU written that takes place during those years. :-\
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:30:39 pm by Nicki »

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Disney acquires Lucasfilm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »
Episode 7 can't be any worse than the prequels. Can it?

I also was about to make a thread about this.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:56:32 pm »
I don't know, as I said if they did a stand alone movie or movie trilogy that takes within the 19 years between ROTS and ANH, I would be more than happy, but that's for personal reasons( I LOVE YOU, EMPEROR PALPATINE!!!).

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:30 pm »
I don't know, as I said if they did a stand alone movie or movie trilogy that takes within the 19 years between ROTS and ANH, I would be more than happy, but that's for personal reasons( I LOVE YOU, EMPEROR PALPATINE!!!).

I've always said this (in fact I say it every day when I wake up)

They should just film the fantastic story told in the Star Wars: Force Unleashed video games which, despite consisting entirely of CG characters, managed to be far less wooden and far more emotive than anything in the prequels.

There is a video on youtube of all the cutscenes from the first two games (with a third on the way) spliced together which, with a bit of extra content to fill in the bits where actual gameplay is happening, could happily be a film.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:56 pm »
An Episode 7? really? sigh. well, keep fucking that chicken, Lucasarts.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:37 pm »
That would be an awesome idea for a movie, The Force Unleashed... also the novel Star Wars: Darth Plagueis would make a great movie, but I would love to see a teenaged Palpatine...especially the scene when he kills his family.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:34:11 pm by Nicki »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »

I expect it'll be better. Star Wars is at it's best when Lucas ISN'T in complete control.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:55:42 pm »

I expect it'll be better. Star Wars is at it's best when Lucas ISN'T in complete control.
See both Clone wars cartoons (the 2d animation one, and the 3d animation one)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »
I was about to say, also, that this can only be an improvement, considering what Lucas does when he has absolute free reign.

(And this is coming from someone who liked the prequels)

Also, Episode 7 will be interesting.  The Empire isn't going to just suddenly collapse without the Emperor and his Dragon, and Luke has to get that new Jedi Order set up -- the one that's less Lawful Stupid, if I recall correctly.

Of course, this is if they base it off of the novels...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »
And Empire Strikes Back. Heck, the whole classic trilogy. That was back before Lucas got so rich and powerful and full of himself, and surrounded himself with yes men who wouldn't/couldn't tell him when he was being stupid.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:23:10 pm »
Amazing, 2012 and people are still milking Star Wars. You'd think someone would be content to just let it die with a little dignity (if any remains).

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:32:37 pm »
Amazing, 2012 and people are still milking Star Wars. You'd think someone would be content to just let it die with a little dignity (if any remains).

It's produced gems like The Force Unleashed and the CGI Clone Wars cartoon.  I'm not complaining.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:46:14 pm »
I was about to say, also, that this can only be an improvement, considering what Lucas does when he has absolute free reign.

(And this is coming from someone who liked the prequels)

Also, Episode 7 will be interesting.  The Empire isn't going to just suddenly collapse without the Emperor and his Dragon, and Luke has to get that new Jedi Order set up -- the one that's less Lawful Stupid, if I recall correctly.

Of course, this is if they base it off of the novels...

I won't mind the Thrawn stuff(though to be honest, I find the Thrawn fanboys to be annoying as fuck), please no Vongs, and please no Legacy stuff-by that I mean the whole Darth Krayt bs. And as a Palpatine fangirl, I'll be crying the whole time, because it ain't just same without my favorite chessmaster around...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:48:27 pm by Nicki »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
Psst.

I haven't read the novels so I really have no clue what I'm talking about.  o  _o

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »
Oh shit...just realized this is the end of the Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.

Ironbite-unless they move it to Disney XD.