Author Topic: Telegraph writer accuses Atheists of being mentally ill  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Telegraph writer accuses Atheists of being mentally ill
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:04 am »
A shit attempt at satire, or genuine idiocy?

Either way, I think it's confirmed this guy is a colossal cunt.

TL;DR Guy posts a bunch of studies claiming the religious are happier and healthier, then dismisses Atheists as mentally ill

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Telegraph writer accuses Atheists of being mentally ill
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:21:19 am »
Here's the thing: the brain's also hard-wired for racism, sexism and tribal warfare. I'd say I don't expect him to argue that as good, but, well, I do. Also, I'd rather be mentally ill and smarter than you than healthy and a dumbass.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:37 am »
A lot of those benefits really come from a placebo effect, something that Atheists lack because they are fully aware of the science and statistics behind something. This understanding comes from that higher IQ, including an understanding that more children is not necessarily a good thing. Higher IQ allows the Atheist to correctly evaluate their position in life and how having children will affect that.

Despite all that though, the whole article, especially the third last paragraph reads like someone who was insulted by an atheist and this is how he manages to get his own back, much, much later. I am pretty sure you will find that the societal rejection of atheists is one of the biggest contributing factors to much of the ills that face atheists.

I wont argue however that religion does not provide therapeutic effects for believers. The earlier placebo effect, and sense of community really can help one, unless you don't fit the religious worldview perfectly. Then you face the full wrath of exclusion, persecution and hatred that turns many towards atheism.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 06:38:02 am »
It doesn't matter how much happier religion makes people, it doesn't make it the truth.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:34:42 am »
Therefore, being an atheist – lacking the vital faculty of faith – should be seen as an affliction, and a tragic deficiency: something akin to blindness. Which makes Richard Dawkins the intellectual equivalent of an amputee, furiously waving his stumps in the air, boasting that he has no hands.

Haha, no.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:12 am »
We're certainly not mentally ill, but for those who strongly believe in god, I'm sure they're very comforted in thinking that they'll have eternal paradise after they die. I don't particularly enjoy the thought of death being the end of everything, but I'm not going to believe in an afterlife just to make myself feel better. However, because atheists lack belief in an afterlife, perhaps we're more likely to be happier overall in our lives because we know we have to make the most of our time here.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:44 am »
We're certainly not mentally ill, but for those who strongly believe in god, I'm sure they're very comforted in thinking that they'll have eternal paradise after they die. I don't particularly enjoy the thought of death being the end of everything, but I'm not going to believe in an afterlife just to make myself feel better. However, because atheists lack belief in an afterlife, perhaps we're more likely to be happier overall in our lives because we know we have to make the most of our time here.

Or to put it bluntly, we don't waste our time kowtowing to a Bronze Age goat-herder's imaginary friend, thus leaving us with a lot more time to do shit we actually enjoy.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:48 am »
Obsessively holding on to a delusion is considered mentally ill. Zealotry would qualify under that. I don't believe in Santa Claus anymore, either, and although I miss the belief in magic I had as a tiny kid, I doubt that it's absence makes me mentally ill. The more you learn about life and the universe, the more you realize the incredible magnificence of it all. The grandeur can give you gooseflesh, and make you realize just how miraculous it is to have the intelligence to even begin to contemplate it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:14:59 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »
This isn't anything new...unfortunately.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »
I'm not sure how this is supposed win atheists over to religion though. "Believe in God and you'll be happier!" Sincere belief in God isn't something you can just turn on and off. And it's probably more unhealthy to be a hypocrite than to be an atheist.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »
Therefore, being an atheist – lacking the vital faculty of faith – should be seen as an affliction, and a tragic deficiency: something akin to blindness. Which makes Richard Dawkins the intellectual equivalent of an amputee, furiously waving his stumps in the air, boasting that he has no hands.

Haha, no.

That statement is retarded for several reasons. First is that it calls faith a "vital faculty". Yeah, that's bullshit. Whatever faith can deliver, there are other things that deliver better. Faith as an explanation for nature and the world around us? Nope, I'll stick to science. Faith as comfort when confronted by death or the meaning of life? I prefer existential philosophy. And so on. There are plenty of people who live perfectly happy lives without religion. The second reason that this statement is retarded is because it implies that faith is some inherent thing we're born with, and if you don't have faith, then clearly you've lost a part of you when something bad happened. That's a load of bullshit too. Faith is something discover on your own, or, in many unfortunate cases, is something you're indoctrinated with as a child. It's not something you're born with and it's quite possible to go through life never having had any fait at any point in time.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 05:21:42 pm »
Makes me wonder how they'd deal with me: I was a Witness for many years as a young'un.  But, one day, I started asking questions, again as a kid, and came to the conclusion that there are no gods and that any form of spiritualism goes against established facts.  No trauma, nothing bad happened to me to "turn me atheist", and I was raised in faith.  I can't be THAT fucking unique.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »
What, nobody quoted George Bernard Shaw yet? Tsk, Tsk.*

Of course, we can all play the statistics game. Not only are non-religious people on average smarter and better educated about science and religion, we tend to have better sex lives.

Or we can recognise this is entirely irrelevant, the statistical effects are likely to be dominated by confounding societal factors that have fuck-all to do with the ability to have faith.

*"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
Σא

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:27 pm »
What, nobody quoted George Bernard Shaw yet? Tsk, Tsk.*

Of course, we can all play the statistics game. Not only are non-religious people on average smarter and better educated about science and religion, we tend to have better sex lives.

Or we can recognise this is entirely irrelevant, the statistical effects are likely to be dominated by confounding societal factors that have fuck-all to do with the ability to have faith.

*"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

It's funny you mentioned that because one commenter on the article claimed there was a study that said that women felt that Christian men performed better in bed than atheist men because atheist men came off as not caring about his partner's needs, while Christian men were attentive.

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »
Nice selfie. Is this what passes for professionalism?