Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 73383 times)

Offline IanC

• Pope
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2016, 01:40:23 pm »
Age of Sigmar. What? Its fun.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »
Warmachine?

As for the Shadowrun campaign... GM decided not to do the air-drop entrance and the 2 new characters + 2 originals joining the 3 already in the mission simply arrived in a car.

Things of note:
-The other new character was a sniper called Smith with 7 (yes, seven) points in Edge. He is now known as "Lucky" Smith.
-The rest of the team acted with understandable surprise and skepticism when some weird Sioux-shaman shows up and claims that he is now taking command of the team. Things went about well as expected. I messed up tactics rolls and the characters went about doing their things regardless of my orders.
-The Dwarf Street samurai in the team is a killing machine (technically he is more machine than flesh. 0.2 points of essence left I think.) and he uses throwing stars for long range combat instead of firearms because he does more damage that way.
-All but one member of the team (the exception being Lucky Smith of course) walk into a trap. There's a door at the end of a hallway and thanks to a detection spell from the other magician in the team we know that there are 4 enemies waiting behind it. As we make plans for how to get past this obvious choke point we finally make a hole into the door so that my shaman could cast stunball through it. Unfortunately all he can see through the hole is the Claymore-mine pointed at the door. ...And at this point another much sturdier door closes at the other end of the hallway.
-We defeat this trap by having the other mage conjure up a shield between us and the mine and then having my shaman levitate the mine turning it at the enemies and detonating it.
-At the end of the mission we left behind 10 dead guards and a lot of blood from my shaman (Walked into another ambush by a mage and three guys with assault rifles. He was lucky to be still alive. But the dwarf who was with him at the time simply danced around the bullets and cut up the enemies one by one. That's what you get when a psycho full of chrome inhales powerful combat drugs and even has a pain editor which makes him immune to the effects of stun damage.) though we did manage to destroy the evidence with help from some explosives. We took with us the objective and some additional paydata.

I am looking forwards to the next game.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »
X-Wing. Relatively low cost (a viable competitive list can be build for less than $100), pre-painted miniatures that still manage to be detailed and look good and a simple and stream lined rule set that makes games rarely last longer than 45 minutes.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2016, 03:11:06 pm »
Played X-Wing already, not my cup of tea.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2016, 04:19:16 am »
Our last session was kinda short and we spent most of it planning the next run. Things are about to get interesting. The team wasn't even hired to do the job, one of the team's Face's contacts called him up to return a favour. You see, previously the Face had literally blown up the Contact's house and said Contact being a Shadowrunner himself decided that in return he demands Face to help him in a difficult mission. His team had been hired to steal a certain suitcase from a courier van and they have narrowed down the location of said suitcase to be in one of two vans but can't hijack them both at the same time meaning that we have to rob the other van. Also the security company that the van belongs to has a helicopter on patrol it is likely that one of the two team's will end up facing the copter...

Now the only reward that we are likely to get is from whatever else we steal from the van aside from the objective (assuming that our van even contains the suitcase) and not taking the job will mean a lot of trouble for the Face and a minor loss of reputation for the rest of the team. (For the record, when the Contact asked the Face for help his immediate reply was "Sure I can help, assuming that we come to an agreement over the price of my services..." The Face literally said this to the man who lost his home due to a sizeable fuck up by the Face himself...) So not only will this mission be difficult as we have to stop the van, crack it, take care of the security and leave with the loot before reinforcements arrive. AND we have only 24 hours of ingame time to prepare for the job.

I am also amused that the player who is most likely to backstab other PCs in every game he plays, insists that the team must operate on purely professional level with zero friendship involved, now assumes that everyone will take huge risks to help him just because we would get equal shares of the loot (if there is any loot.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2016, 02:33:37 am »
In our latest session of Shadowrun we completed the armoured van robbery. Everything went surprisingly well considering how many times the heist nearly became a disaster.

In fact, there were no metahuman casualties in the entire heist which I consider to be a very good thing. We started out by having our decker follow the van in a car and then hack it to make it stop when it was at the ambush point where the rest of the team was waiting. Then the two spellcasters in the team made themselves and our dwarven street sammy invisible while the remaining two members were keeping watch, ready to provide fire support. Well, they did not actually wait. One of them opened fire at the van with an anti-material rifle taking out the rear axel, the other one tried to take out a tire but failed. Sammy used a plasmacutter to open the rear door and then he ran to a safe distance because my shaman had stunball and that thing does area damage. Inside the van where four briefly surprised armed guards (they thought that the door wouldn't open quite so quickly and when it did saw no hostiles) two of which were in heavy armour. One force 10 stunball with PUSH THE LIMIT edge ability used on it later and all four drop unconscious and my shaman takes 7 points of physical damage from the drain. That was nearly enough to kill him but I and the character still believe it was totally worth it.

Then things went pretty well for a while. The guards in the front of the car didn't want to get out and were attempting to call for help but our area jammer put a stop to that (the jammer was mainly there because the loot was certain to have tags and locators and we wanted to have some time to remove and disable them.) so they spent the rest of the heist hiding in the car and occasionally lifting a comms unit a bit higher to see if they could see anyone with the built in camera.

Our heavy-weapons/demolitions/sniper guy "Lucky Smith" (He has 7 points of Edge but also the "bad luck" negative trait.) also had the art skill so he cut open the containers in the car and quickly helped us sort out the valuables in the van. The actual Magguffin wasn't there which meant that it was in the OTHER van which was being targeted by the other runner team. We got two expensive paintings, some jewelry and a few suitcases. We didn't touch the cases with the Aztechnology logo because none of us want to be on their bad side. We also did not steal the suitcase belonging to Tamanous. Unfortunately there was also an ancient statue that seemed to contain some sort of enchantment. And Smith wanted it. He wanted to put it in his home. Which is actually his car since he didn't actually have an apartment and simply lived in his car at that point. But the problem is that making the character/player accept that we are NOT stealing the extremely valuable and easily trackable magical statue required threatening him with two guns and a warning shot from an anti-material rifle...

Then things went on pretty well for a while. The decker (who hadn't been spotted so far) drove off in his car, the rest of the team used to smoke grenades to cover their tracks and escaped through the sewers on a route that they had scouted the night before just as the helicopter with the HTR team was about to land.  There was a slight problem of a pack of rodents of unusual size blocking the way. They dodged sniper fire and the fireball from the other mage but Smith used a grenade launcher and HE ammo to take out the entire pack. ...He used a frakking grenade launcher in a sewer. In a very tight tunnel.

Luckily he lived up to his name and did not cause a cave in trapping us with no way to escape from the angry HTR team. Instead we ran past the gory tunnel section and blew it behind us stopping the pursuit. The it was simply a matter of removing all the tags and driving off the to meeting point with the fixer who promised to buy the loot.

He refused to accept the most valuable painting (1 million Nuyen would have been nice but the painting was too well known and hot to sell.) or the papers written in Mafia code but the rest of the loot made a nice profit to us (even though the Fixer gave us a really bad deal.) ...Then we opened the last suitcase and found the dragon claw inside it. Just a dragon claw, no notes or explanations or anything. The Fixer took this as the sign to pack up his stuff and drive away while shouting NOPE! After a brief panic and going through the options we decided to destroy the claw, never to talk about this again and hope that there won't be an angry dragon coming after us. This was actually a very well roleplayed in-character panicky moment for the entire team.

...Afterwards there was an even bigger freak out as the team finally decided to check who owned the statue and turned out that it was property of a certain Lowfyr and was being taken to the museum of Seattle. If we had stolen it the result would have either been a TPK or a job offer from Hans Brackhaus.

...And the Face of the team sold the mafia papers to his mafia contact (the papers belonged to another crime family) but as he tried to sell the painting it turned out that it in fact belonged to the family of that contact... Luckily he was able to get away with it as he did return it for free.

All in all the team did earn 30k Nuyen and 5 karma per character which is three times as much money as the previous reward we got. Next game is on next Wednesday and currently the team is planning to rent an auto-repair joint at the edge of Seattle so that they can use it as their HQ.

I would have liked some more karma but unfortunately we took out the guards before they could do anything and since no one actually rolled dice against the runners we didn't get bonus karma for facing strong enemies. ...Because that's how the SR reward table works: Getting attacked by skilled/strong enemies will give bonus karma and money but taking them out before they can do anything or avoiding them does not give you a bonus.

EDIT: Forgot to say that since most of the team was either hiding or invisible during the robber one of the players noted that as far as the guards know, this robbery was committed by two masked men and a floating blowtorch.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:34:23 am by Askold »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2016, 03:37:02 pm »
The theme of today's game was "Askold's character fucks up and everyone suffers."

The owner of the dragon tooth from previous session tracked down my character because I didn't know that you can scrub astral signatures and hadn't done it after casting a Force 10 spell.

Then he got tracked by a spirit and because he lacked Banish skill (even though the reason the character was a magician was so that the team would have someone with that skill. I fucked up while making the character since I had to start all over again a few times and forgot a few important skills and took a couple useless ones.)  so the shaman got caught (the shaman tried burning his fake-SIN and actually setting his apartment on fire while fleeing multiple spirits but it wasn't enough) and because he couldn't resist a mind probe spell (again, bad character design) the entire team has been caught and forced to do a run pro-bono for a very nasty Johnson.

The mission is to kill a fellow Shadowrunner who is a former Aztechnology blood-mage.

So not only are they not getting paid for the job the job will ruin their reputation among Shadowrunners if anyone finds out that they killed one of their own.

Oh and I am saying "they" because I am missing the next session due to my vacation trip so I / my character got everyone into trouble and now the others will pay the price.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:21 am »
Anyone else here play M:tG?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Even Then

« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:57 am »
I mostly play EDH, but I've got a crappy Madness Legacy deck.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2016, 12:47:12 am »
I used to play Magic back when I was younger. I think I stopped sometime during the Ravnica(?) series. Or was that the one where the planet was one big city and the colours represented different guilds?

Even Then

« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2016, 02:04:40 am »
Yeah, that's Ravnica.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »
So I'm thinking for my 21st birthday of getting all the core books for Pathfinder since from what I've heard D&D has gone to hell.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »
I've heard good thing a about D&D 5th Edition, but I've never played it. However, 4th edition is the worst tabletop RPG I've ever played.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »
5e is fine, but not spectacular.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2016, 07:12:26 pm »
5e goes back to the roots, somewhat, of DnD where 4th tried to grab hold of the WoW crowd for some...god awful reason.  Also Pathfinder is fun.

Ironbite-I think I've linked to my own games enough though.