Author Topic: Google Helps Saudi Arabia Oppress Women  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Google Helps Saudi Arabia Oppress Women
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:17 am »
The bigger the corporation, less likely it becomes that they behave ethically.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 03:20:07 am »
Google's motto over the years:

1. Don't be evil.
2. Be less evil.
3. Fuck it, we're evil.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:23:06 am »
From what I've heard, the app's actually helped a lot more women escape Saudi Arabia because they can travel with less paperwork (if any) and not a lot of people secure their phones as they should, so women can discreetly abscond with their male guardian's phone, allow them travel, thus affording them more opportunities to leave that festering ass-wound of a country.  Without it, there'd be an enormous amount of onerous paperwork that'd afford far fewer women to leave Saudi Arabia for literally and metaphorically greener pastures.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:22:24 pm »
From what I've heard, the app's actually helped a lot more women escape Saudi Arabia because they can travel with less paperwork (if any) and not a lot of people secure their phones as they should, so women can discreetly abscond with their male guardian's phone, allow them travel, thus affording them more opportunities to leave that festering ass-wound of a country.  Without it, there'd be an enormous amount of onerous paperwork that'd afford far fewer women to leave Saudi Arabia for literally and metaphorically greener pastures.

I'd like that to be true, but I fear that may be wishful thinking.

Honestly, I don't think we talk about Saudi Arabia exerting its influence in other countries enough. China too, but that's a different story. Given how heavily the Saudis have been investing in Silicon Valley, and the fact that a Saudi prince owns more of Twitter than Jack Dorsey, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the Saudis were able to pressure Google into keeping the app.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:07:08 pm »

I'd like that to be true, but I fear that may be wishful thinking.

Honestly, I don't think we talk about Saudi Arabia exerting its influence in other countries enough. China too, but that's a different story. Given how heavily the Saudis have been investing in Silicon Valley, and the fact that a Saudi prince owns more of Twitter than Jack Dorsey, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the Saudis were able to pressure Google into keeping the app.

Very much this.