Author Topic: Canadians will say Goodbye to Pennies  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Canadians will say Goodbye to Pennies
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:14 pm »
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/penny-disappear-coinage-system-minting-200604652.html

As it costs 1.6 cents to mint a 1 cent coin, the government has decided it's long overdue for the coins to become a thing of the past. I recommend keeping any pennies that were minted before 1996, however, as they are made out of real copper and their actual worth is approximately 3 cents a piece.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Canadians will say Goodbye to Pennies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »
How long before they get rid of nickels and dimes? I mean, those are almost worthless now, too.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »
Well, if it costs less than their  face value to mint them, then I think those'll be sticking around for a while. They also made the new plastic $50 bills and they will be entering circulation very soon.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
Seems it's time to take in all the rolls in my penny jar and exchange them at the bank.

Bye bye, pennies.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »
What about needing to give change like 0.97? They've been saying things about maybe getting rid of pennies down here in the US for years, but I don't think they've figured out how you would do so. This also raises the question, why not use a cheaper metal? Are there no practical, cheaper options? What about plastic pennies? Would they be to easy to counterfeit? Though why you would counterfeit f-ing pennies is anyone's guess.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »
What about needing to give change like 0.97?
Round it up. If it cost 97¢ before, it now costs $1.
-A Pen Name

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

Round down to .95 or up to 1.00 would be my guess.

They've been saying things about maybe getting rid of pennies down here in the US for years, but I don't think they've figured out how you would do so. This also raises the question, why not use a cheaper metal? Are there no practical, cheaper options? What about plastic pennies? Would they be to easy to counterfeit? Though why you would counterfeit f-ing pennies is anyone's guess.

Plastic isn't nearly durable enough to make a coin out of.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US the most counterfeited monetary unit is the $20 bill. Its large enough to actually be worth something, but small enough to avoid overt suspicion.

Aren't coins harder to counterfeit, anyway?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

Round down to .95 or up to 1.00 would be my guess.

They've been saying things about maybe getting rid of pennies down here in the US for years, but I don't think they've figured out how you would do so. This also raises the question, why not use a cheaper metal? Are there no practical, cheaper options? What about plastic pennies? Would they be to easy to counterfeit? Though why you would counterfeit f-ing pennies is anyone's guess.

Plastic isn't nearly durable enough to make a coin out of.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US the most counterfeited monetary unit is the $20 bill. Its large enough to actually be worth something, but small enough to avoid overt suspicion.

Aren't coins harder to counterfeit, anyway?

Not necessarily. They don't have any security features, so that's not a problem. Die stamping machines of a suitable size wouldn't be hard to find or make. Such machines are used to make all manner of coin like objects such as medals, medallions, non-monetary coins, etc. Being in a CNC machining class I can say the dies themselves wouldn't be hard to make.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:18 am »
I'm pretty much for this in the US too. Pennies are mostly useless and rounding to the nearest nickel would make things easier to add in the head.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:15:30 am »
I'm also in support of ditching the penny (because fuck you CoinStar, that's why!)
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:23 am »
But we need pennies! D= What will we fill our socks with for a quick weapon otherwise??
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:28:37 am »
But we need pennies! D= What will we fill our socks with for a quick weapon otherwise??

Someone's never had a collection of half-dollars coins... those fuckers are brutal.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:18 am »

Someone's never had a collection of half-dollars coins... those fuckers are brutal.

Actually, there's a guy up the street from here. In lieu of candy, he gives trick-or-treaters a half-dollar and a cup of cider.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:40 am »
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the more obvious problem with eliminating pennies in the U.S.

Taxes.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 03:36:47 am »
We have sales tax in Canada too :P
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)