Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2069133 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10080 on: June 21, 2016, 10:17:54 pm »
I think an unwanted thought is different from a want, to be clear. But some wants are also, um, unwanted.
Σא

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10081 on: June 21, 2016, 10:23:18 pm »
I think some instances of OCD provide a good example of distinguishing unwanted thoughts and desires. For example, my friend had unwanted thoughts of "Hey, right now I have the ability to pick up a knife and stab everyone in my household." That is obviously something she would never act on, but it's a horrible thought that enters her brain because that's how the disorder works. Just because a thought occurs doesn't mean you wish to act on it. People who believe that to be the case are idiots.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Even Then

« Reply #10082 on: June 21, 2016, 10:35:23 pm »
But some wants are also, um, unwanted.

And I personally put those down as unwanted thoughts too, seeing how they're, well, unwanted. I'll admit that my system probably bites, but that's what makes sense to me.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10083 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:01 pm »
Is that like how I don't want KFC chicken but whenever I think about it I desperately want some?

Even Then

« Reply #10084 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:50 pm »
In my case, it's been more "I don't want to die, but whenever I think of myself being a good-for-nothing burden to my family, I start thinking that suicide would be the best option out of this before I catch myself" along with occasional thoughts of wanting to die when something goes wrong, but maybe it's something similar, I don't know.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10085 on: June 22, 2016, 07:29:15 am »
Aaaaaand, YouTube's freaking the fuck out.  Lovely.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10086 on: June 24, 2016, 06:40:07 pm »
Yesterday, I learned a very important lesson. That lesson being, if you're wandering around outside and feel yourself slipping over, and the only thing nearby to grab on to is a barbed wire fence, just let yourself fall. It's by far the least painful outcome.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10087 on: June 27, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
So I just got a tax scam call.

First it claimed to be from the CRA and threatened a major lawsuit if I didn't call back immediately. (I did pick up, but the spiel was as if it were leaving a message.)

The recording's voice was female, but the name given was "Eric Foster."

It said my Social Insurance Number would be "tainted forever" if I didn't reply.

At the end, the voice said it was calling from the IRS, which put me from 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% convinced it was a scam to 100% convinced.

I think something went wrong in the program that changes the call from a US scam to a Canadian one.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10088 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:43 pm »
The scammers who do that in my area actually have people doing the talking.

So you know what I did once?

I acted like I was in the middle of having sex while talking to the scammer. As in, moaning and grunting while listening to him. The guy just got indignant past a certain point and went, "you're really not worth the trouble" and hanged up.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10089 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »
People who jump on the bus before everyone gets off.

Ironbite-and boy do I have a story about that.

Offline suri

• Neonate
« Reply #10090 on: June 27, 2016, 06:15:02 pm »

That is the worst (possibly not literally true). Also the same thing but with elevators.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10091 on: June 27, 2016, 06:27:50 pm »

Ok so the reason why I didn't post this story is I had just gotten off work and needed a nap.  So nap taken and let me tell you a story, from Ironbite's past.  A story that will no doubt not be the last.  See Ironbite doesn't ramble every now and then.  It's a story without an end.

So at work, which is THE international hub for the nation's capital, they did a really stupid thing.  Pre-9/11, employees were able to park and enter the airport via secure gates that were practically on the runway itself.  Sweet gig.  Post-9/11, they moved us to remote parking lots, the current one a good 15 minute bus ride away.  The one I parked at beforehand was about 5 minutes away but they took that away in order for Metro to come in.  Anyways, the buses they used back then were these tiny things.  Could probably fit like 20-30 people in there max and that's if everyone bunched together.  Really crowded.  And in order to get on said bus, you lined up.  Now everyone was pretty nice about lining up.  Nobody pushed or cut it was just welp I'm in line.  Except for the janitorial staff.  These ladies were fresh off the immigration line and from Spanish speaking countries where courtesy and line etiquette are the stuff of dreams.  Everyone hated these ladies.  And I do mean everyone.  They would always, and I do mean always, push their luck when it came to getting on the bus.  Now the bus only has one door too.  So to get on, you had to wait for people to get off.  So one night, we get off work.  I'm talking like a ton of us.  And we all line up.  Except for these cluster of ladies who are off to one side gossiping to one another.  Nobody pays attention to them until the first bus gets there.  The door opens and this one bitch just jumps on.  Not even waiting for the guy who's trying to get off to even take a step out.  Just jumps on causing the entire line to erupt in jeers and curses.  Suffice it to say, it was a very very awkward bus ride to the parking lot as we all glared at this lady the whole trip.  Well, this caused immediate repercussions.  The very next night we get a line guardian.  This guy's job, as far as I can tell, was to make sure we all lined up in an orderly fashion to get on and off the bus.  And he took no crap.  A few nights later, the ladies tried the same ploy only to get shut down.  He then threatened to revoke their bus privileges which got him a lot of applause from us.  So for the next few years, until the upgraded to more massive buses, we had a line guardian.  And those ladies never tried anything like that again.

Ironbite-the end.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10092 on: June 28, 2016, 07:11:28 am »
Some asshole shot at our apartment window and my car windshield the other night, breaking both.  The police officer doesn't think we were the actual targets, since the bullets hit the corners of the windows at an angle, rather than head-on, but it's still more than a little unnerving.  We don't live in a high-crime area, and although it's not exactly low-crime either, we haven't heard of anything like this happening in our apt complex.

My wife says we should be fine, but I told her if anything as much as similar happens again, we're moving.  i'm pretty sure 2 police reports would be more than enough to allow us to break the lease.

At the moment, we're okay aside from jumping at every little sound at night.

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10093 on: June 28, 2016, 11:39:03 am »
Even if it's not, 2 police reports is enough to make it worth breaking lease.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #10094 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:24 am »
Guess who just got home at midnight, after spending NINE hours in a plane, including a one hour stop in How-Dare-You-Call-This-Glorified-Pit-Spot-A-Capital Wyoming, and still has to work in the afternoon?

[/THAT'S RIGHt, ME!!!!size]
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!