Author Topic: Neglected Prisoner gets $15.5 mil after serving 22 months in solitary  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/neglected-prisoner-gets-15-5-million-serving-22-181425242.html

Every person who watched that man, heck everybody who works in that jail, should be brought up on charges.

The guy had to pull out his own tooth because they refused to get him proper care! And he wasn't even formally charged with a crime!! >:(

The money's nice (if a little excessive imho) but he'll never get those 22 months of his life back and he'll never be the same way again.

Fuck you, Dona Ana County! Fuck you with a cactus drenched in cyanide!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Neglected Prisoner gets $15.5 mil after serving 22 months in solitary
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:54:57 am »
Well considering the likely hood of long term pyscholigcal damage which would be expensive to treat and could hinder him finding a job, I actually think $15.5 million is fair enough.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:50:45 pm »
You would think that something like this can only happen in some horrible dictatorship overflowing with bureucracy. Didn't anyone check why he was held there and notice he hadn't been convicted or even sent to court?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »
You would think that something like this can only happen in some horrible dictatorship overflowing with bureucracy. Didn't anyone check why he was held there and notice he hadn't been convicted or even sent to court?

That's why I say everyone who works in that prison should be investigated and brought up on charges. Hire a new staff and revamp that horrendous prison.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:03:10 pm »

That's why I say everyone who works in that prison should be investigated and brought up on charges. Hire a new staff and revamp that horrendous prison.

Just that one? Extreme isolation is rapidly becoming the norm in US prisons.

Because nothing reduces recidivism like stripping away a human's mind and dignity for months (or years) on end and throwing them in the street with no job training, psychological care, etc...
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.