Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070585 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6120 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:25 am »
We have Thanksgiving up here already, but it's in October and not as huge a deal as it is down there. The whole pilgrims/Natives story isn't really part of it, we don't have the football association, etc. Mostly it's just a day to eat turkey and pretend to be thankful for stuff.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6121 on: November 23, 2013, 02:40:44 am »
As disgusting and creepy as certain animals are, my least favorite has to be the mosquito. Even though centipedes, roaches, etc. look creepier, at least they just mind their own business and don't go around stabbing me with their jaws all the time.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6122 on: November 23, 2013, 03:42:13 am »
As disgusting and creepy as certain animals are, my least favorite has to be the mosquito. Even though centipedes, roaches, etc. look creepier, at least they just mind their own business and don't go around stabbing me with their jaws all the time.

I would sit in a room full of spiders, centipedes, and whatnot for an entire day if the end result was that mosquitoes would no longer consume blood to nourish their eggs.

Doesn't help that I'm especially allergic to the little buggers, like golf-ball sized welts that itch so badly that I sometimes get tempted to gouge out the welt with a knife just to end my suffering.

By the way, we live right next to a marsh.  Yay...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6123 on: November 23, 2013, 10:22:31 am »
My hatred of mosquitos borders on irrational, yet...

Even more so than the deadly viruses and bacteria themselves, mosquitos are the deadliest animals on Earth from being the main

vector of pathogen spread. They have caused the death of more animals and humans combined than any other cause since life

began, including the several major extinction events.

(large image with trigger-y TMI for bug 'phobes)
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6124 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:05 pm »
There's a reason why, with all the money being spent on saving species from extinction, there are plenty of scientists busy trying to find ways to wipe out mosquitoes.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6125 on: November 23, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »
I know of a laser system that's programmed to kill female mosquitos (not the males because they actually pollinate stuff) on sight, kinda like a laser fence.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6126 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:24 pm »

Even more so than the deadly viruses and bacteria themselves, mosquitos are the deadliest animals on Earth from being the main

vector of pathogen spread. They have caused the death of more animals and humans combined than any other cause since life

(click to show/hide)

[citation needed]

I have a hard time believing mosquitoes wiped out more species than the Permian-Triassic extinction event.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6127 on: November 23, 2013, 10:12:19 pm »
So in this other forum I go to, the administrator has gone on a huge power trip.

She just suddenly removed administrator privilege from her partner and friend one day with the explanation of "I want to run this site my way."  (She happens to be the one who pays for the site, so he hasn't protested this)

Since then, he understandably has maintained distance to her, and she has responded with very passive-aggressive attacks on him here and there.

I actually spoke up in protest of her behavior towards him, because it's very unprofessional as an administrator, and a couple of other people have jumped in to support the friend who was removed.

Her response is more or less "If you don't like it, leave."

So, I'm staying to spite her (and also because I like Quest for Glory, which the forums are about).

It may be her right to decide who she has on staff, but it is also my right to criticize her.  And if she bans me for it, too bad, she'll just prove me right.

Her actions have made it everyone's business.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6128 on: November 24, 2013, 02:07:56 am »
There is a forum for Quest for Glory series? I am going to take a look at it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6129 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:30 pm »

(click to show/hide)

[citation needed]

I have a hard time believing mosquitoes wiped out more species than the Permian-Triassic extinction event.

Can't find where I read it, but, do the "math"/consider the implications.

The oldest fossil mosquito found so far is 150 million years old. They must have existed long prior to that, naturally. Mosquitos are

found in every climate on Earth, including the Arctic Circle, on six continents (Antarctica has no mosquitos today, but probably did

during earlier climatic periods when it was warmer there, and when it was nearer the Equator via continental drift).

Mosquitos carry deadly parasites, viruses and bacteria. So 3,500 species (known as of today, anyway) of mosquito evolve during

150 million years at minimum, actively infecting and often killing their hosts continuously for that duration of many millions of

years, and you have an estimate that exceeds singular extinction events. Consider that just one species of mosquito today

kills 2 million humans a year by infecting them with malaria, even while we are at war against them through anti malaria

programs world-wide. The death toll was vastly worse, prior.

So, that is one death toll caused by one disease vectored via one mosquito species to a single victim species in one year.

Consider that many more pathogens than Malaria are passed around by mosquitos to humans. Consider the numerous species of

animals besides humans that can and do die from mosquito borne illness and parasite infections every year. Multiply all of that by

at least 150 million (years).

The statement I posted from memory is nevertheless difficult to quantify; we do not know and may never be able to estimate the

amount in total non-plant, non-fungus, non-protist biomass that perished in the major extinction events, since the comparison is

versus Mosquito vectored deaths in animals. 
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6130 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:07 am »
Decided to check my Facebook account after over a year and a half of abandonment. Apparently Facebook won't let me change my name to Adolph Hitler, the sanctimonious fucks.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6131 on: November 26, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »
The GameFAQs mods have stopped caring.  I've been pushing the envelope here and there, trying to get them to actually take action.  I thought I had crossed the boundaries of what is acceptable, by making a passive-aggressive attack (and I do mean attack) on someone because of their Christian Persecution Complex (albeit I felt it was a well-deserved one considering they do the same thing to liberals and anyone who doesn't believe that the Stormcloaks are an honorable, just, and totally not-racist group of people)

It's been almost a week now, I know that people on GameFAQs are quick to report people, but still no moderation.  The fuck.  That was a moddable offense, HIT ME WITH THE MOD HAMMER ALREADY!

Bearing in mind that these are the same mods who modded me once for "trolling" when I made a humorous topic.  Because apparently, making a topic based on a joke (even a self-mocking one) is trolling.

Geez... and to think I actually felt kinda bad for trying to do this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:03:53 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #6132 on: November 26, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »
When I'm talking with my brother - usually sharing a joke - or when I'm reading a post out loud (which is a bad habit of mine):

Then my mother hears me say the combinations of the words 'god,' 'damn,' and 'it.'

And the fact that my mother is another of those passive-aggressive crybabies who take their faith too seriously as to be offended every time someone - especially me - says 'god damn it.'

(I was reading a caption to an image.)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6133 on: November 27, 2013, 05:42:26 pm »
One of my boyfriends housmates hates books and thinks they should all be burnt to halt the spread of intellectualism.

And this guy wants to live on an organic farm commune
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6134 on: November 27, 2013, 06:08:21 pm »
I misread that as "headmates".
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)