Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2072810 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6810 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
At this week's meeting of my school's LGBT club, we heard from two of our members who had gone to the state capital to discuss South Dakota's bill SB128. This bill would give businesses immunity from lawsuits against them for refusing to serve LGBT customers and would prevent the state from recognizing federal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation. Basically, bigotry and attempting to revive nullification.

Most of the results were positive: many state representatives opposed it, the bill wasn't likely to make it to committee and would likely die there if it did, and it was more of a vote-getting stunt by conservatives to get homophobic followers than a serious attempt at lawmaking. We also got in touch with an ACLU lobbyist who's willing to work with us in the future.

However, nothing good came of the brief conversation between our members and the senator who wrote the bill. As soon as he heard who they were, he reacted angrily. When asked about how the bill could be considered fair, he stated that it was a measure to promote fairness and equality and discourage bullying (businesses are being forced to serve everyone rather than just people they like!). He went on to say that LGBT people are really demanding special rights for wanting businesses to stop refusing service based on their orientation. The tirade didn't stop at those statements and became less and less relevant as it went on. He mentioned how his brother used to be gay, but "left that lifestyle and married a nice Christian girl" (sort of on topic, but irrelevant to the bill), and then suddenly changed the subject by demanding to know our members' position on abortion. When told that the club had no official position on it, he demanded their personal positions. And finally, when told that the individual members' positions on abortion were none of his business and asked to get back on topic, he threw a fit and stormed off.

Douchecastle (n.) Someone who goes so far beyond the normal definition of douchebag that a new word is needed to describe the sheer amount of douche.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:41:42 am by Random Guy »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6811 on: February 11, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:18:17 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #6812 on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:47 pm »
...I seem to be getting a lot of internet hugs today...

Please have another

*internet hug*
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #6813 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
My aunt has never really liked my dad, and my dad knows that, yet he has still wants me to ask her if he can come over with us to her house for my nans birthday party.

It just really annoys me, because it puts me in an awkward place with my aunt, because i'm basically asking her if she will invite someone into her house that I know she doesn't like.

And I just don't understand why the fuck you would want to try and invite yourself to someone elses house when you know they don't like you.

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #6814 on: February 11, 2014, 09:04:41 pm »
I know, but thanks. According to my mom, he was fired because another department wanted to cut corners (opening up the company to a data breach, with or without malicious intent) and he strong-armed them. I predict the company's going to make the situation with Target look like a printer jam when the wrong somebody figures out consumer data is insecure. As for talking about unemployment, I'm going to hold off until he cools down and sobers up. My dad doesn't drink often, and he rarely gets drunk, but right now he's on a bullet train to Wastedville.

Damn that sucks man. I hope he gets a job soon and you guys are okay.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6815 on: February 12, 2014, 02:28:33 am »
I hate it when people tell me to be happy with what i have.

Just fuck right off.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6816 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:03 am »
Yeah, considering what you've told us about your mom, I'd say you should most definitely NOT be satisfied with what you have.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:13:51 am by lord gibbon »
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6817 on: February 12, 2014, 04:22:06 am »
Youtube videos just aren't playing. Other video sites are working fine, but Youtube just won't load at all. Am I the only one?

Also, Dalesearch. Bloody thing found its way onto my laptop and made it as tedious as possible to get rid of it. Still, I vanquished the fucker in the end.

Scratch that, it's fixed. Between purging my laptop of adware and resetting the modem, things are back to their old, much more respectable speed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:54:17 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6818 on: February 12, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »
When you joke in a sarcastic or hyperbolic way, and then someone replies to that in a way that you think is serious and a continuation of the joke.

Then you say you were joking, and they say they were too and then its just painfully awkward
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6819 on: February 12, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »
When you joke in a sarcastic or hyperbolic way, and then someone replies to that in a way that you think is serious and a continuation of the joke.

Then you say you were joking, and they say they were too and then its just painfully awkward

I'm being harangued to switch the music I'm using in the video I made for something more "upbeat" and "peppy" and "in-your-face" and "faster" and "tougher" by a woman who doesn't clearly know what she wants and once declared that she didn't care what the customer wanted in the product.

I made a joke to the receptionist/product woman, a hard-smoking and very loud woman in her 60s, about using fast African tribal music in a video about crane operator competitions. She didn't think it was a joke until I told her.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6820 on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:35 pm »
I was trying to jack off but my brother kept shouting various rude and insulting things, as well as jiggling the door handle. Now I'm both pissed off and painfully horny. >:(

Edit: discovered the granddaddy of all zits just below my hernia surgery scar. This day just keeps getting better. /s
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:30:55 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6821 on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »
The ungodly heat is back. Guess who's spending the entire day caked in his own sweat? That would be me.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6822 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:18 pm »
PUGAMPIES!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6823 on: February 12, 2014, 11:09:04 pm »
Working with the Boss Lady today was like pulling teeth. I can't tell if she's got a general idea of what she wants and just can't get it across or if she's so scatterbrained that she'll never make a choice; I'm guessing the latter. She seems convinced that the press release we're sending out is going to a bunch of big, manly men who like NASCAR and don't go to Disney World (her words, not mine) purely because it's about crane training and she thinks crane operators are a lot of blue collar roughnecks. Never mind that pretty much all of our instructors are soft-spoken senior citizens who have been working on cranes for decades, and that many of our students (and many markets) are from foreign countries. But no, she thinks that it's a bunch of rednecks and they want a lot of tough music and "tension".

She also can't seem to separate the CONEXPO/CONAGG crowd from the press that's getting our press release. She's expecting all those big, tough men because she sees big, tough men at CONEXPO. Of course, even that false assumption is wrong: most of the guys at the convention are the educated businessmen in charge of the companies, with only a handful of career crane operators among them. And with all the math and focus working with cranes requires, especially as an inspector, they're not exactly a bunch of dirty rednecks.

So here I am, making about half a dozen different cuts of the video (after cutting it one more time to fit some specific stuff she wanted) that each have a different song properly cut and timed to fit the video length. The vast majority of which will never get used and are just a bunch of tests for her.

Just watch as she goes back to my original suggestion.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6824 on: February 13, 2014, 12:42:39 am »
Do a clip with cheesy dance electronica just to watch her face curdle.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.