Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2069032 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8415 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:43 am »
Everyone's talking about Steam sales and how great xyz PC game is, and I'm just over here in the corner with my DS. Having not one but two "PC master race" brothers doesn't help. AND my parents are going out of town and leaving me here to watch the animals again.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8416 on: December 26, 2014, 10:42:10 pm »
Raw Story really needs to stop using fucking stock photos already or replace whoever's choosing them. For example, this was the photo for the article on the XBL/PSN hackings.

(click to show/hide)

What the hell does this have to do with the article, other than having a woman holding a X-Box controller? Hell, she's all triumphant-looking. How am I supposed to read this? What does this have to do with anything in the article beyond a cursory connection?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8417 on: December 27, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »
I'll be glad when my laptop is fixed/replaced and returned with Windows 7, because this loaner with Windows 8 is driving me crazy. 

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8418 on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:42 pm »
Steam annoys the fuck out of me. Every time I've used it, it's been nothing but bullshit preventing me from purchasing or playing my games. Oh, we can't send you an email to reset your password, try again later. Oh, you can't view what's in your cart, we're just going to crash. I understand its popularity, but holy jesus fuck, why is it designed so poorly?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8419 on: December 27, 2014, 10:37:45 pm »
....maybe it's you.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8420 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:34 am »
Steam is glitchy, always has been. Needs a total site redesign.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8421 on: December 28, 2014, 01:34:24 am »
Poeple who act like the fact that white/male/straight/cis/abled poeple can have bad things happen to them automatically means they have no privilege.

On the flipside, poeple who assume having privilege makes your hardships any less valid.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8422 on: December 28, 2014, 02:17:28 pm »
Poeple who act like the fact that white/male/straight/cis/abled poeple can have bad things happen to them automatically means they have no privilege.

On the flipside, poeple who assume having privilege makes your hardships any less valid.

The face those words exist annoy the ever loving piss out of me. Yes, I am a straight white male. But I'm also an avid fisherman. I'm one hell of a cook. I'm handy around the house fixing stuff. I'm a halfway decent father. A very fair (if somewhat stern) boss. My knowledge of saltwater reef husbandry is impressive. I have the ability to grow an awesome beard.

In other words, there is so much more to me than the color of my skin, the junk between my legs, and what I chose to do with said junk. In fact, my heart goes out to anyone who defines themselves so one dimensionally.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #8423 on: December 28, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »
The fact those words exist annoy the ever loving piss out of me.
Why? What would you prefer we use instead - "normal"?
Yes, I am a straight white male. But I'm also an avid fisherman. I'm one hell of a cook. I'm handy around the house fixing stuff. I'm a halfway decent father. A very fair (if somewhat stern) boss. My knowledge of saltwater reef husbandry is impressive. I have the ability to grow an awesome beard.
Cool.
In other words, there is so much more to me than the color of my skin, the junk between my legs, and what I chose to do with said junk.
Yeah, here's the thing: everyone knows that. Nobody considers someone's whiteness, masculinity, or heterosexuality to be a defining character trait. "White, straight, male" is considered the norm. It's a blank slate. With few exceptions, nobody has any particular assumptions or hurtful stereotypes associated with being a white straight male.
Me? Well, I'm white too, so I'll leave that discussion alone. But I'm not straight, and a significant portion of humanity would argue that I'm not "really" male. That puts a lot of hurdles in my path that you don't have to worry about. You don't have to argue with anyone that yes, you're in the right bathroom, or no, you're not (necessarily) promiscuous or unfaithful. It's not something to feel guilty about, just something to recognize and be aware of.
In fact, my heart goes out to anyone who defines themselves so one dimensionally.
The only thing sadder than people who define themselves that way are people who define others like that.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8424 on: December 28, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »
Since I dislike chopping quotes, I'll address them as points 1-3.

Point 1. I had to look up what cis meant. Um, its not that I care what you call me. White male has worked these past 3.5 decades. Straight works as well. If that's what cis means, than cool. But if you're (the royal you, not you specifically) going to make up words, or snowflake definitions to formally commonly understood words (collecting people, for example, I thought was bad because nobody should be having others in glass display cases you would commonly see other figurines that have been collected by collectors), I'll have a hard time taking you seriously at first.

#2 Yeah, I try to lead a full well rounded life.

#3. I think I found a great working definition of privilege. For that (if that was your intent) thank you. And you're right. Its not something I've ever worried about in a country where I speak the language.  And my first reaction after that was "Wow, that sounds like a shitty aspect of your life." But then it ties right into the second point, that hopefully its only one part of many many aspects of your life.

Maybe its just I've been spending too much time on tumblr (those SJW people make me laugh), but it seems like there is too much time and energy being spent, lets say regionally. Sometimes its helpful to say yes, I am that. But I am these wonderful things as well. Just like you. You are what you are. Which includes many wonderful things of your own.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8425 on: December 28, 2014, 04:25:03 pm »
Steam is glitchy, always has been. Needs a total site redesign.

Ok for some reason now it's glitching out on me.  I go to vote for something in the current steam winter sale for the community choice and it tells me I have to log in...WHEN I'M LOGGED IN ALREADY!

Ironbite-I give you enough money Gabe...jesus.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8426 on: December 28, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »
There's been a new influx of website ads with sound.

Let them burn in hell.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8427 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »
There's been a new influx of website ads with sound.

Let them burn in hell.

My Adblock Plus/NoScript combo hasn't been letting any of those through.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #8428 on: December 28, 2014, 08:02:04 pm »
Rebuttal to point one: the Latin prefix "cis" means "on this side of", and is the antonym of "trans". It's also used in the context of organic chemistry. It's no more "made up" than the rest of the Latin-derived bits of the English language. And even if it was "made up" (which all language is), it's not hard to understand. "Selfie" is younger than my cat, but unless this is the first time you've crawled out from underneath whatever rock you were previously living under, you know what a selfie is. The fact that you (plural) are unfamiliar with a word doesn't make it less real.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8429 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:54 pm »
Rebuttal to point one: the Latin prefix "cis" means "on this side of", and is the antonym of "trans". It's also used in the context of organic chemistry. It's no more "made up" than the rest of the Latin-derived bits of the English language. And even if it was "made up" (which all language is), it's not hard to understand. "Selfie" is younger than my cat, but unless this is the first time you've crawled out from underneath whatever rock you were previously living under, you know what a selfie is. The fact that you (plural) are unfamiliar with a word doesn't make it less real.

Besides, it's a lot less fucking stupid than some of the other words they're coming up with.