Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 638584 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #2535 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »
Out of every episode so far, I have to say that this was one of my favorite slice-of-life stories. The call backs were awesome (Matilda, the elderly pony with the bubble-pipe cutie mark, the buffalo partying with the ponies in Applioosa, the Smile Song, the photographs) and Cheese Sandwich was an excellent counterpart to Pinkie Pie. Having an episode as song-heavy as this was somewhat surprising (to me, at least) but very welcome. Also, Derpy drinking out of a chocolate fountain.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2536 on: February 01, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »
I had a feeling it would be song heavy (because it's fucking Weird Al) but I have to admit, a lot more songs than I thought there would be.

I think it may have out-songed Magical Mystery Cure
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2537 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:46 pm »
You know, as much as I enjoyed the wackiness, I gotta say that the parts of the episode meant to tug at your heartstrings were my favorites.
I thought the message in this one was good. They were kinda setting it up like Pinkie was going to defeat Cheese and prove herself the best, but then they flipped it around and were like, no, you're BOTH great party ponies and you don't have to compete with each other. I liked that.

As everyone else has said, lots of good call-backs and gags in this one (I especially liked Pinkie singing in Spanish and Cheese stealing the smile song), but there was one minor disappointment for me. The song at the end would have been perfect for a Vinyl Scratch cameo.

Side note, I counted 21 candles on Rainbow's cake. Perhaps the mane six are a bit older than fans have estimated (mid-late teens).

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2538 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:34 pm »
Side note, I counted 21 candles on Rainbow's cake. Perhaps the mane six are a bit older than fans have estimated (mid-late teens).
I'd always estimated them to be about college-aged myself.  After all, most of them live on their own, they all have jobs, etc.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2539 on: February 01, 2014, 09:36:05 pm »
You know, as much as I enjoyed the wackiness, I gotta say that the parts of the episode meant to tug at your heartstrings were my favorites.
I thought the message in this one was good. They were kinda setting it up like Pinkie was going to defeat Cheese and prove herself the best, but then they flipped it around and were like, no, you're BOTH great party ponies and you don't have to compete with each other. I liked that.

As everyone else has said, lots of good call-backs and gags in this one (I especially liked Pinkie singing in Spanish and Cheese stealing the smile song), but there was one minor disappointment for me. The song at the end would have been perfect for a Vinyl Scratch cameo.

21 you say?  Cue even more drinking memes!

Also, I gotta say that the whole "suddenly live action" is probably one of the single funniest things I've seen on the show.  It's just so wonderfully ridiculous (and when you first watch it, unexpected).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmNYyIGtvM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmNYyIGtvM</a>
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2540 on: February 02, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »
I rate this episode a Fuck Yeah/10

After this episode is there any doubt that Pinkie is truly the best pony?

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #2541 on: February 02, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »

.... Yes?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2542 on: February 02, 2014, 04:07:43 pm »
Haha wow okay that's one way to see it, all I think of her is the well-intentioned if oblivious, goofy comic relief. I've known people like Pinkie.

"I have little faith that this lesson will stick" How many times has Fluttershy had an episode dealing with her shyness? There's some continuity in the show but the writers are clearly willing to let things slide if they want.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2543 on: February 02, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »
Haha wow okay that's one way to see it, all I think of her is the well-intentioned if oblivious, goofy comic relief. I've known people like Pinkie.

"I have little faith that this lesson will stick" How many times has Fluttershy had an episode dealing with her shyness? There's some continuity in the show but the writers are clearly willing to let things slide if they want.

Well, there's that.  There's also the fact that deeply ingrained personality flaws are something that don't just magically go away because you learned a lesson.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2544 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:32 pm »
Funny how the episode that starred my two least favorite Mane Six members ended up being one of my favorite this season.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2545 on: February 02, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »

Well, there's that.  There's also the fact that deeply ingrained personality flaws are something that don't just magically go away because you learned a lesson.

Yeah, true. no matter how many life lessons the ponies get, I don't think they'll be getting any significant personality overhauls.

Also, how about all that rainbow stuff? do you think it might actually lead into another Equestria Girls movie? is it related to the mystery box? or are we about to find out Rainbow Dash kick-started the Big Bang with a sonic rainboom?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2546 on: February 02, 2014, 07:17:23 pm »
The running fan theory is that it ties the show into the 'Rainbow Power' toy line they're doing...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2547 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
The running fan theory is that it ties the show into the 'Rainbow Power' toy line they're doing...

I hope not.

But if it does, I'm not gonna whine about it endlessly.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2548 on: February 02, 2014, 10:54:24 pm »

.... Yes?

(click to show/hide)
They should have an episode where Pinkies behavior ends up hurting someone, and in the end she learns to still be happy but not be a control freak.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2549 on: February 03, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »
Well, it looks like we may be getting that EqG sequel this summer. Since it's a battle of the bands thing, hopefully the Mane 6 band will atleast be thrash/death metal. Hey, a guy can hope right?  :P