Author Topic: Man donates bone marrow for a stranger - they finally meet  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Man donates bone marrow for a stranger - they finally meet
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:54:39 am »
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/cancer-survivor-meets-her-bone-marrow-donor-first-121314673--abc-news-health.html

Erika Turner's life as a happily married mother of two came to a screeching halt when her doctors told her she had leukemia.
"I looked at him and I said, 'Cancer of the blood?' and he said, 'Correct,'" Turner said.
Her condition worsened.  Dr. Miguel Islas-Ohlmayer of The Jewish Hospital-Mercy Health Blood and Marrow Transplant Center in Cincinnati, where Turner was being treated, said the leukemia was aggressive.

Even with chemotherapy and radiation, the Cincinnati woman, 42, would need a bone marrow transplant.
"That was my only option to survive," she said.

Magoon was a student at Yale University when he joined the Be The Match Registry® to see whether he was a match for Mandi Schwartz, a fellow student and hockey player at Yale.  Magoon was not a match and Schwartz later died. But one year after having his cheek swabbed, Magoon got the call that he was a match for Turner.
"I'd do it again in a second," he said of being a donor.  "It's really not that painful of a procedure. That's one of the huge myths.  Trust me, it's really not that bad.  It's like getting your wisdom teeth out. You're under. You wake up. People take care of you because they know you're doing a good thing."
Turner was overcome with emotion thanking Magoon for what he did.
"This young man, he didn't know me from a can of paint. He didn't know me. He was so willing," she said.  "I just can't find the words. He was just so willing to give his life so that I can find mine."

Things like this make me feel a bit better about our species as a whole, in spite of the harm we cause to each other.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Man donates bone marrow for a stranger - they finally meet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:06 am »
There's good 'uns out there.  That's what keeps my faith going.  The good ones.